Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
1. When did Porsche make sway bars standard for the 911?

2. Is it true the 911 remained unusually tail-happy until the 90's, and if so, why did it take Porsche so long to address this? Source: History of the Porsche 911 | Autoweek
Porsche 911's are still tail happy. There are just enough nannies in them now to keep most people from discovering that fact, but they will still slaughter you with unintentional snap reactions to your throttle/brake inputs on the track/street if you aren't used to them I hear.

Never have owned a Porsche, but I really REALLY liked how my Z06 handled. 50/50 weight. The Porsche is very tail heavy, and I think it will be biting off more than most can chew if they turn off the nannies and discover they entered a corner too fast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 07:15 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Porsche 911's are still tail happy. There are just enough nannies in them now to keep most people from discovering that fact, but they will still slaughter you with unintentional snap reactions to your throttle/brake inputs on the track/street if you aren't used to them I hear.

Never have owned a Porsche, but I really REALLY liked how my Z06 handled. 50/50 weight. The Porsche is very tail heavy, and I think it will be biting off more than most can chew if they turn off the nannies and discover they entered a corner too fast...
The flip side of this though, is with a rear weight bias, the front end feels remarkably light and nimble, far more than a Corvette does, or any front engine/RWD car can. So up until the limit, the steering feel is superior.

People rave about how nimble and flickable a Miata is for track racing... a 911 gives a very similar feel, but with more than double the horsepower.

As with anything, it just takes practice to learn the limits of the car and a safe speed to carry into a corner. The addition of lowering springs, wider tires, and beefier sway bars also went a long way towards reducing the potential for snap oversteer.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Sway bars have been on the cars since the 60's.

Unusually tail happy? Not any more so than any other mid-engine exotic from that era. The Countach, for example, had the exact same front/rear weight distribution as most Porsches during that time, 41/59.

The main thing with driving a Porsche (and most mid-engine cars for that matter), is that you cannot lift off the throttle in mid corner, unless you want to swap ends. You learn to go into a corner slow, then build speed through it. Go in too hot, and tap the brakes, and you'll be spinning in most modern mid engine cars with the nanny controls off.
Although the weight distribution of a 911 and Countach may have been the same, there is no doubt the 911 had more weight at the tail than the Countach. If that engine were a foot more forward the distribution would be the same but handling would be very different.

I agree that mid-engine cars are vulnerable to trailing throttle oversteer. But the 911 (especially older ones) is more vulnerable.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Although the weight distribution of a 911 and Countach may have been the same, there is no doubt the 911 had more weight at the tail than the Countach. If that engine were a foot more forward the distribution would be the same but handling would be very different.

I agree that mid-engine cars are vulnerable to trailing throttle oversteer. But the 911 (especially older ones) is more vulnerable.
Oh I agree... but it's a moot point really. Lift off the throttle in a 911 mid corner, and it would spin. Do the same in a Countach, or Ferrari Testarossa, and it would spin too. The only difference between them all is the speed at which each would induce spin.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Oh I agree... but it's a moot point really. Lift off the throttle in a 911 mid corner, and it would spin. Do the same in a Countach, or Ferrari Testarossa, and it would spin too. The only difference between them all is the speed at which each would induce spin.
Lifting off could catch the unaware, but that's part of it's charm in that it's a part of how you could corner VERY quickly in tight stuff: lift a little or trail brake to get the tail to start to rotate, then get back on the throttle to plant it and finish the corner. The problem is that most people are unable to look at the throttle as the way to save yourself in an imminent spin situation and want to lift more or get on the brakes even harder, which only makes it worse. The throttle is your friend in these cars.

Source, a decade of driving these three cars (as well as one s onwed by friends) on the street and track:

Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
part of it's charm in that it's a part of how you could corner VERY quickly in tight stuff: lift a little or trail brake to get the tail to start to rotate, then get back on the throttle to plant it and finish the corner. The problem is that most people are unable to look at the throttle as the way to save yourself in an imminent spin situation and want to lift more or get on the brakes even harder, which only makes it worse. The throttle is your friend in these cars.
Exactly. A car that rotates quickly is a good thing in the hands of a skilled driver. In some ways it will handle quicker than it's weight would suggest.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
The main thing with driving a Porsche (and most mid-engine cars for that matter), is that you cannot lift off the throttle in mid corner, unless you want to swap ends. You learn to go into a corner slow, then build speed through it. Go in too hot, and tap the brakes, and you'll be spinning in most modern mid engine cars with the nanny controls off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A 911 isn't a mid-engine car.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Agree. The 911 will swap ends faster!

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A 911 isn't a mid-engine car.
I didn't say it was. McKinneyOwnr compared the 911 to a mid-engine car.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post

What is with the "nannie" talk about Porsche drivers. I have been to hundreds of Open track events over the years and there are always more Porsche guys open tracking than Vette owners.

The Porsche club has been running track events probably longer than Corvettes have been in existance.

I don't even own a Porsche but I have been passed by the Porsches that just passed the Vettes running behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche