Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:14 AM

26,001 posts, read 13,007,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is a mistake on Porsche's behalf. They are missing the mark and the market is shifting. The Taycan is their perfect example of "PEOPLE DON'T WANT EV PORSCHES"

The gas Macan is a bread and butter suv for them and they are erasing that option by forcing everyone to go EV if they want one.

3 things will happen:

1. Buyers will buy ICE versions of competitors cars (BMW X3 for example)
2. Buyers will move to the Cayenne or buy used Macans
3. It will have a slow take rate, mirroring the epic failure of the Taycan.
I agree w/ your assesment. I see very few Taycan's on the road...more on dealers lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 10:22 AM

37,294 posts, read 39,630,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree w/ your assesment. I see very few Taycan's on the road...more on dealers lots.

His assessment is an unreasonable one. Four door sedans are simply not that popular compared to crossovers and SUVs even within their brand ranges. In this case, there is a very direct also four door sedan Porsche, the Panamera, to make the comparison to rather a vehicle that's in a completely different automotive segment. In comparison to the Panamera, the Taycan's sales have been great. Calling the Taycan an epic failure is simply goofy. Also, the BMW X3 has always sold better than the Macan regardless of powertrain. That's a pretty shoddy assessment you're agreeing with there.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:25 AM

37,294 posts, read 39,630,348 times
Quote:
So my dealer gives Macans as loaner cars. What's going to happen when they go EV, can't hand those out to people who don't have charging at home? My guess: they will load up on base model Cayennes and give those out instead. So 100K loaners instead of 75K loaners and Porsche will pay for it (depreciation/ loaner expense whatever you call it).
I reckon when the lower trim of the Macan that's about $80K would be the initial Macan EVs offered as loaners, and there's a pretty decent chance that a lower trim is released soon afterwards as was done with the Taycan. I thin there will be a lot of variation and potentially a choice of loaners depending on your local area / dealership. It'll be interesting to see how effective EV loaners will be at influencing people to switch to EVs especially for people who have any ability to charge at home.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:29 AM

21,928 posts, read 25,280,841 times
My guess is your dealer will keep using Macans as loaners as it isn't going anywhere right away. The Cayenne is also seven years old with the EV replacement coming in the next couple years. Like with the aged Macan, the gas version of the Cayenne will be allowed to languish on alongside the EV models but it's obvious that Porsche is going almost all EV. They're working on their expensive synthetic gas for the 911 but everything else is going EV. The face-lift on the Cayenne is likely the last update it will see as it trudges onward. Maybe they do one more face-lift but at that point it would be 10+ years old like the Macan so probably not.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:16 AM

3,828 posts, read 2,352,594 times
Quote:
So my dealer gives Macans as loaner cars. What's going to happen when they go EV, can't hand those out to people who don't have charging at home? My guess: they will load up on base model Cayennes and give those out instead. So 100K loaners instead of 75K loaners and Porsche will pay for it (depreciation/ loaner expense whatever you call it).
I doubt people get loaner cars and immediately go on a 3 state road trip. Most loaner cars tend to spend a week doing the day to day commuting and errand running the owner was doing with their regular car. With a 300 mile range and a full charge when they are taken, a weeks worth of driving would be easy, and if you're going to have it longer, then a short trip to a local fast charger may be an option.

And probably most people getting Porsche loaners have a home that has that newfangled electricity these days.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:45 PM

17,466 posts, read 22,220,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I doubt people get loaner cars and immediately go on a 3 state road trip. Most loaner cars tend to spend a week doing the day to day commuting and errand running the owner was doing with their regular car. With a 300 mile range and a full charge when they are taken, a weeks worth of driving would be easy, and if you're going to have it longer, then a short trip to a local fast charger may be an option.

And probably most people getting Porsche loaners have a home that has that newfangled electricity these days.
My last 2 Macan loaners were relatively new (sub 1000 mile).

I put 1600 miles on the first one, then about 850 on the 2nd one.

I don't have the ability to charge it at home so unless they throw in a charger I'd be in trouble.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:02 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,205,270 times
Quote:
My last 2 Macan loaners were relatively new (sub 1000 mile).

I put 1600 miles on the first one, then about 850 on the 2nd one.

I don't have the ability to charge it at home so unless they throw in a charger I'd be in trouble.
How long did you have these two loaners?

Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM

17,466 posts, read 22,220,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
How long did you have these two loaners?
Total 37 days but also keep in mind I live 100 miles from the dealership (each way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche