Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering Fla for relocation. Could people please give me an honest opinion about the following areas and their schools? I have 5 children so this is important!

PSL
Melbourne
Sebasian
Lehigh Acres
Cape Coral
Ocala
Trinity/new Port Richey

O
Our salaries combined are approx: 70,000.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,256 times
First of all, where are you moving from? Unless you can transfer, or work from home, make sure your salaries will be the same in these areas, jobs don't pay well here. With 5 kids, you should really do some serious research of your own before you think about moving. There are many tools online to assist you with cost of living estimations, so you can compare. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
You should check out Inverness where i live just 25 minutes southwest of Ocala. the schools here in this county pretty good. I have a special needs child in the schools here. In Inverness, all 3 schools (elementary, middle and high school) are within 1 mile of each other. great if you have kids in multiple schools i think. Here's a great link for school grading. Ocala would be Marion County. Inverness would be Citrus County. New port richey is Pasco County.

Foundation for Florida's Future - School Grades - Report Card (http://www.foundationforfloridasfuture.org/index.php?id=grades - broken link)

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Hi, we are moving from LI, NY. We cannot afford the taxes here anymore, the salary in Fl for what my husband does is 2 dollars less an hour than NY.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
I don't think South Florida is a good move for you based on what your looking for. Also the cost of living is very high. PSL is a nice area but it has a FPL power plant (nuclear) Its very safe but some people freak out about it. Marion County schools are good from what I hear. South Lee County Schools (Lehigh and Cape Coral) have a problem keeping teachers, I would stick with Ocala.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
PSL is a nice area but it has a FPL power plant (nuclear) Its very safe but some people freak out about it.
I have lived here for over 35 years and never heard anyone mention it, let alone freak out about it. The only time it is mentioned is by strangers who live somewhere else.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
I have lived here for over 35 years and never heard anyone mention it, let alone freak out about it. The only time it is mentioned is by strangers who live somewhere else.
This is what I posted :PSL is a nice area but it has a FPL power plant (nuclear) Its very safe but some people freak out about it.
This would be a great poll, Do you feel its safe to live near a nuclear plant. I for one have a background with dealing with this and feel its safe, But alot of people have a fear.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:19 PM

You know people freak out about what is known, I freak out about what is unknown, like 9-11, the Nickel Mine Schoolhouse shooting and Columbine. Does the power plant subsidize the taxes in PSL?

Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM

135 posts, read 600,021 times
Default some input.....

[quote=momix5;1166148]My husband and I are considering Fla for relocation. Could people please give me an honest opinion about the following areas and their schools? I have 5 children so this is important!

PSL
Melbourne
Sebasian
Lehigh Acres
Cape Coral
Ocala
Trinity/new Port Richey

Hi,
My sister lives in Cape Coral, all of her children have been put in Catholic schools, I believe in part, due to the public schools system. Lehigh Acres I would say would be sketchy.

PSL is a very nice, family area with many newer homes being built and very nice outlying areas. My friend lives there in a 3yr old home and loves it. As for the power plant located there, I don't think it's much of a worry. My friend is a health-freak RN and doesn't seem to have ANY qualms about living near the PP. The schools are also with a good reputation. There is a baseball stadium there which is nice for families too.

Melbourne is touch and go, you'd have to go there and see the different 'areas' to make sure you're choosing a safe one. Sebastian is not as populated as some of your other choices, I don't know too much about it. I know I pass it on my way to my brother's home on Merritt Island.

Ocala as far as I know is a more 'rural' area if that's what you like.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2007, 06:14 PM

51 posts, read 279,784 times
There's a new web page to buy and sell everything you need in Ocala http://www.ocalasite.com. Try it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach