Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 PM

35 posts, read 89,808 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have been making the rounds on these boards; doing retirement research, mostly. Have checked out (via the boards, no trips, yet) Wilimington, Charleston and now the FL boards, as there are many places I like in FL

My question for you is this; why did you choose the East Coast of FL as opposed to the Gulf side?

I notice the sands seem to be white on the Gulf side, but I don't see that on the east coast side. (Perhaps I'm wrong). Are there other differences, as well?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 PM

219 posts, read 541,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabeach View Post
Hello all. I have been making the rounds on these boards; doing retirement research, mostly. Have checked out (via the boards, no trips, yet) Wilimington, Charleston and now the FL boards, as there are many places I like in FL

My question for you is this; why did you choose the East Coast of FL as opposed to the Gulf side?

I notice the sands seem to be white on the Gulf side, but I don't see that on the east coast side. (Perhaps I'm wrong). Are there other differences, as well?

Thanks in advance.
I chose the West Coast north because it was the best choice when I prepared my pros and cons on various locations.

as opposed to the West Coast:
The east coast has the surf waves and larger population per sq mile. It also has most transients who hear about FL and show up. (crime is higher). It also has a majority Cuban population. Again, during Spring Break, it makes Clearwater seem like nothing. People from the west coast go to the east coast for weekend getaways.

Both have major terminals for cruise ships but Tampa is very limited in comparison.

On the west coast, specifically in the tampa bay area, you can watch the sun rise over water and the sun set over water.

West coast is more conservative, especially as you travel north, as opposed to the east coast. West coast (tampa) is considered the financial capital of Latin America, whereas the East coast is considered the extension of Latin America.

East coast has violent neighborhoods with million dollar "pockets" in between. West coast has million dollar neighborhoods with violent pockets in between.

West Coast has the top 5 beaches (in the US) where East Coast has the most recognized beaches (whether that is good or bad).

My choice would be Wilmington, NC, especially the city proper, but my experience is in FL.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 AM

Than you Jersied; very interesting comparisons and info that I've never run across. But, am I right that the West Coast has the sugary white sand and the East Coast has the more clay like sand such as you find in VA beach??

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
Jersied - you LIVE in New Jersey..not in Florida, isn't that right? At least your profile says you do. And made a sweeping opinion of all of Florida from what knowledge? Seems like you may have been to Tampa, but that does not tell anyone about the rest of Florida. Each area is different.

I've been and lived on both sides of Florida and have lived in Florida since the late 70's. I'm even a real Florida Native. Even though I have lived in Florida all these years and in various places I would never begin to give someone a rundown on areas I did not LIVE IN The West coast does have the sugar sand and the sunsets which are gorgeous but after living over on that side, I chose to come back to the East coast. I found the people were nicer, I had more things available, there was more going on. This is my experience from living in Naples. Not anywhere else on the other coast.

I am sure others can give you their experience in living in their area. Each part of Florida has a different board on here and that is where anyone should go asking questions about an area.

On the East coast I live lived or worked from Pompano to Vero Beach, so yes, I can express an opinion of how those areas are to live in.

The beaches here are different, but they are not clay.. they are SAND. Just not the same sugar white sand on the other side. We can watch the sun rise they watch the sun set. Over water or not since the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west.

Violent neighborhoods? Are you speaking of Miami or what? I don't have any violent neighborhoods in my area. Actually, none of the area between Vero and Pompano had "violent" neighborhoods in them to my knowledge of living in those areas.

Iwannabeach.. best to ask the people that live in the areas you would like to know about. All of Florida in not just a lump sticking off the rest of the US.. and every area is different. It depends on what YOU are looking for. Florida has beaches on both sides.....

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM

Thank you as well, FlatLadyB.

I'm really trying to figure out which side I would be happiest on, if I ever get there, that is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach