Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,996 times

Advertisements

In looking at real estate listings online, I have noticed that some HOAs restrict the number of pets that are allowed per household. Does this usually just apply to outdoor pets ? We have three indoor cats, and I have seen some HOA limits of two pets. Will we have a problem in this case ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
Where I live it's two pets , no difference between inside/outside ... Don't know how that would apply to fish though,lol...

Old 06-10-2012, 12:16 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
How could they track it? Unless they are 3 large dogs, I really don't see how anyone would be able to know how many dogs you have. Don't let them go dookey in other resident's yards and I think you'll be fine.

One question though- would you be willing to part with one or pay a fine if you ever got caught? Is it really worth the hassle with all the homes on the market?? Plenty of fish on the market...

Old 06-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Believe me, people in HOA's see things .. An on a serious note . IF the rule states two pets only why in the world would you move in with three pets ?
Where I live there is a restriction against PitBulls and PitBull mixes, if you owned a PITBULL or Mix why would you move here ?? makes no sense to me. If I live here and have to follow the rules then so do you , don't you think ??? Now if you have a Pitbull and live here and hey change the rules after you live then I can see someone being upset about having to fall in line with rules ......

Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
HOA limits are on all pets, indoor or outdoor. If you are looking into Martin County as well be aware that Martin County has a cat leash law.

All you need is one neighbor to narc on you. Best to find a place not in an HOA (they are evil) and a landlord that allows multiple cats. Few and far between but they are there.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 PM

361 posts, read 749,961 times
In my experience cats generally fall under a different set of guidelines. I've lived in apartments and condos in Miami all of my life. Most of them have had HOAs. They generally have a "pet deposit" fee or what have you but EVERY SINGLE TIME I have signed my contract and I mention my cat they are willing to "ignore" the pet deposit fee WITHOUT me even asking them to. Generally it goes like this:

<HOA> We have a pet deposit fee of <XXX>. Do you have any pets?
<ME> I have a cat.
<HOA> Oh okay we generally only worry about dogs so we will ignore that for you.

I recommend just asking. There is a HUGE difference between CATS and DOGS. Cats poop inside. Dogs poop outside. You don't take cats for a walk around the neighborhood but you have to take your dog.

Definitely ask before signing anything though.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Yep, here there is a DOG Deposit BUT there is a restriction on two pets and that means cats or dogs...

Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
With three indoor cats, no one is going to notice, just watch who you invite over and/or talk to in your neighborhood, people can be real rats, even ones you think you can trust.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM

They might not notice at all... But why would anyone want to move into an HOA with the intent to not follow the already established rules ?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM

56 posts, read 121,792 times
I also do not know why anyone would want to try and "break the rules" and sneak in an extra cat. I know there has been alot of discussions about the pros and cons of an HOA, but if you dont like the rules don"t live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach