Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM

14 posts, read 52,090 times

Advertisements

Hello - will be visiting the Port St. Lucie/Stuart area later this month. My friend and her husband moved there recently and they love Stuart. I checked listings in that area and there are some reasonably priced homes. My husband and I are both seniors and was wondering if there is a lower property tax for people age 65 +? Also, she said Stuart was prettier than Port St. Lucie (more modern). Would Port St. Lucie or Stuart be a good place to buy and then rent out for 9 months of the year? Would it be easier to rent a house out in both places on a regular basis?

Thanks for your info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM

573 posts, read 2,443,178 times
I do not believe so but the homestead exemption (as long as it will be your primary residence) is 50K. My father in law is over 65 and he doesn't get any tax breaks.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if it would be easy to rent a home out if I purchased one? The rent would probably be about $900 a month or so. This would be in either Stuart or PSL. My husband and I may be moving there eventually and was hoping to buy something to plan for that and rent it out prior.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priscillabud View Post
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if it would be easy to rent a home out if I purchased one? The rent would probably be about $900 a month or so. This would be in either Stuart or PSL. My husband and I may be moving there eventually and was hoping to buy something to plan for that and rent it out prior.
I wouldn't do it. We've owned rental property in Massachusetts but it's different here in Florida. The homes have slid down to a point where anyone and everyone who can afford a home has one already. You'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel with renters. Seasonal renters, yes but I wouldn't do permanent long-term renters.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priscillabud View Post
Just remember that you cannot homestead your property or claim tax exemptions unless you are a resident. In other words, you can't rent out the home and get the exemption at the same time.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your help. Will look but don't touch when we get there at the end of the month to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach