Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leao2u2 View Post
I’m still narrowing down some prospective job opportunities in various locations of South Florida. My fiancée and I are trying to learn more about areas/communities, now in the Stuart / Port St. Lucie --- (& surrounding areas) that will fit our lifestyle a bit more. We’re looking for areas that are safe/clean, have good schools, growing in a positive direction, and provide an atmosphere that she and I can go out in public and be treated as a 'more' normal couple (I am white and she is black). We are a younger professional couple looking for a place where we will feel more comfortable. We looked at Miami but it seems too expensive and over crowded; read nothing but negative stuff about LIVING in Key West; Naples is too crowded and over priced; etc…etc…etc…

(If you have any other suggestions as to where we should check out, we would be most appreciative!)

Thanks for your input!
I live in Port Saint lucie,This area is a super area for the comfort your looking for. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. The area is very safe and clean! It's an up and comming town. We have tradition field fine arts and lovely restaurants. As for Fort Pierce, well I don't like to trash anyone in any way but...less desirable..I'll leave it at that. As for being crowded it's not that! We have affordable living here and as for taxes well they are a pain every where we choose to live..but less then Tampa,Keys,West Palm Beach,Boca Raton and so on. Well I hope I've been some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 AM

96 posts, read 360,475 times
Let me just say this: you absolutely can not go wrong with Port Saint Lucie. Let's see, you got the Mets spring training, shopping, extremely low crime, etc., and yet it still mantains that small town feeling. The city has mantained it for the 45 years it has been around. I hope you look into the city, as it is a hidden treasure. Palm Beach may sound like it's " all that", it's not. It has
" all that" crime. Port Saint Lucie is one big masterpiece. Hope your search goes well.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,703 times
You'll like Port St. Lucie. Just avoid Ft. Pierce at all costs. Yes, I said it. Anyway, I don't know much about the living in Stuart and Jensen but those are other areas to consider that I would say (at this point) are free from the rat race of the palmbeaches and other areas further south.

The great thing about this location is that you have somewhat of a 'south florida' feel but minus the major congestion and problems. I will say though that port st. lucie does NOT have ghetto areas, and even though we have a large population (around 130,000) you'd be pleasantly surprised to know that we don't have a major crime problem.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 AM

I agree with Prettygyrl777. Besides, is there really any point in visiting ft. pierce? That's not where the action is happening. Stuart and PSL is getting the neat options and already has a reputation for having low crime. The only reason really to visit ft. pierce is ircc. PSL feels MUCH more safer. Take my advice. I've lived in PSL for quite some time.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM

I apologize if I offended some residents of Ft. Pierce. But in reality, crime is the issue there.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,898 times
We live in Port St. Lucie. It's definitely a growing city with a great future. I will say this though about visiting Ft. Pierce: there is some fun to be had there. My husband and I have attended a few cultural events at the Sunrise Theater in downtown Ft. Pierce. We saw a couple of operas and a concert there. It's a nice theater, similar to the Lyric Theater in downtown Stuart (though I think the Sunrise is a little bigger). We also enjoyed a boat ride from the Manatee Center in downtown Ft. Pierce. There are a couple of tiki bars, very Key West in feel, in downtown Ft. Pierce as well. Lastly, you can't beat the beach in Ft. Pierce. There's one in particular that's usually pretty empty. Many times my husband and I have had the beach all to ourselves. I've shared pictures of that beach on a couple threads but I'll post them here too to give you an idea of what you can find in this area.

Ft. Pierce beach:

Old 06-20-2007, 01:56 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
...In addition, it is taking them forever to approve a fence and accordian shutter and they haven't approved yet....I do think that the city need to learn how to run a place efficiently.
From whom are you waiting approval? It sounds like it might be your Tradition homeowner's association. If so, it has nothing to do with the city. Generally, the city approves permits for fences while you wait, if you have the proper drawings. I wasn't aware that you needed a permit for shutters. In any case, approval from the city usually comes after the installation is complete. It is only homeowner's associations who like to see if a design meets their standards.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
From whom are you waiting approval? It sounds like it might be your Tradition homeowner's association. If so, it has nothing to do with the city. Generally, the city approves permits for fences while you wait, if you have the proper drawings. I wasn't aware that you needed a permit for shutters. In any case, approval from the city usually comes after the installation is complete. It is only homeowner's associations who like to see if a design meets their standards.
Well, HOA approved all the modifications within two weeks after my request. It took 45 days for the city to approve fence and accordian shutter. I got both permits already. The fence is in and waiting for final approval . The accordian is being intalled. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 40,361 times
Default The Bigger Picture

Quote:
I support the property tax reform. I haven't seen a police car anywhere in Tradition. I haven't seen any stray dogs in Tradition either. In addition, it is taking them forever to approve a fence and accordian shutter and they haven't approved yet. I know they are not that busy since building activity has slowed down substantially. I am calling them often and patiently to explain the need to have my fence installed as soon as possible and accordian shutter installed before the huricane season (I know it is my contractor's job but I was told the home owner's call is more effective). I am not saying we don't need police or animal control. I do think that the city need to learn how to run a place efficiently. We all learn to live within our budget. We buy the house based on our budget too. I know PSL has grown a lot and I believe the city income has grown trendmously becasue of property taxes. I know Martin county has much lower property tax than PSL. Palm Beach County has lower property tax than PSL too.
By the way, at all the technology transfer and veture capital meetings, I always see Saint Lucie County officials there to entice the industry to move to PSL or Tradition. I have chated with them often and felt their desire to develop. I haven't seen any other county present in these meetings. This is one of the reasons we made decision to accept the job offer and move to PSL.
Are you saying that because you live in Tradition you are immune from the ill affects a cut back in civil services will bring?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,309 times
Default Permits for shutters??

I know at least 5 people that put up privacy fences (me included) and the permit was drawn up and was delivered to my home the following day. This was within the last year. City of PSL took that long? That's shocking to me, they have always been very, very quick. Also, do you need a permit for regular aluminum shutters? Or is it just for the accordian ones that stay permanently on the home? I'm confused and if a permit was required, oops. Should I take one out for my steel shutters?
Quote:
Well, HOA approved all the modifications within two weeks after my request. It took 45 days for the city to approve fence and accordian shutter. I got both permits already. The fence is in and waiting for final approval . The accordian is being intalled. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach