Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:47 PM

7 posts, read 15,769 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I've thought about PSL but being from Miami-Dade and living there all my life and having an entire family that lives in Miami-Dade/Broward, PSL intmidates me. I am 23 yrs old with a 3 y/o son and @least WPB would only be an hour to an hour and a half away from family. I'm trying to do threes things find affordable housing, a resonable commute to work, and not a great distance from help(family). IDK what to do but anyone more input would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
Ok...you have already posted and gotten answers on this. Your very limited funds for a rental keep you from getting much. Living in Riviera Beach can be dangerous. Many of us have already given you advice on the commute but it ends up in your hands now.

You will just have to make a trip up here and check out the few places that are affordable to you and see them in person. That is the only way to answer your questions for sure.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 AM

22 posts, read 59,592 times
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents as I am in the same boat, but in a bit deeper waters...

I came to PSL and fell in love with the area. But, I have a WONDERFUL job in Ft. Lauderdale. I finally gave up on finding a similar job in the Treasure Coast area (or anywhere closer that Ft. Lauderdale for that matter...) so I am now contemplating the drive from PSL to Ft. Laud everyday for work..... 1.5-2 hours one way! Now I AM the crazy one!!! lol! I am trying it out this week and see how it goes.

But like others have said - you have to factor in the cost of gas, toll on roads if applicable, increased wear and tear, travel stress, etc. For me, the financial aspect is worth it, I just have to try it out for a bit to see if i can manage the commute daily.

Good luck with what you decide.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
AJ... have you even asked if there are others that drive the same route that would share the ride????

jew'ly destination is different as he is going to the prison for work which is not on anyone elses route that he could share. You are different in that you could find a common spot at possibly the turnpike where you can share.

http://www.erideshare.com/carpool.ph...e=FL&zip=34952

http://www.erideshare.com/carpool.php?dstate=FL

Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM

22 posts, read 59,592 times
as much of a no-brainer that is, i just never thought of that option! I saw some van/car pooling places online. I will have to check them out. Thanks! (again)

Old 04-05-2010, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,083 times
I commute from PSL to boynton beach everyday. I've been doing it a little over a year now. At first I really hated it, but now the drive is no big deal. I am still trying to find a decent job up north though.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,230 times
The only issue about carpooling that far I would have is the possibility of getting stuck without a ride back. What if the driver has an emergency and has to leave work early or the vehicle breaks down? I would contemplate that and have an emergency back up plan like the name and number of the closest rental car company that would come and pick me up. Even then you have to either do a one way rental or make sure you have a ride back the next day after you return the rental car.

Other than that, depending on the time of day you leave for work one hour is not that bad of a commute. If you live in a big city an hour is nothing.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
nmp

18 posts, read 32,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ4VS View Post
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents as I am in the same boat, but in a bit deeper waters...

I came to PSL and fell in love with the area. But, I have a WONDERFUL job in Ft. Lauderdale. I finally gave up on finding a similar job in the Treasure Coast area (or anywhere closer that Ft. Lauderdale for that matter...) so I am now contemplating the drive from PSL to Ft. Laud everyday for work..... 1.5-2 hours one way! Now I AM the crazy one!!! lol! I am trying it out this week and see how it goes.

But like others have said - you have to factor in the cost of gas, toll on roads if applicable, increased wear and tear, travel stress, etc. For me, the financial aspect is worth it, I just have to try it out for a bit to see if i can manage the commute daily.

Good luck with what you decide.

is your job near a Tri-Rail station? My job in Boynton is a 5-10 minute walk from the Tri-Rail but driving to WPB and taking the train to Boynton doesn't make sense (plus I plan to carpool from PSL with coworkers). For you it might make sense if you can get a ride or drive to the northern most Tri-Rail station and take the train the rest of the way depending on the schedule and cost.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM

38 posts, read 53,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
The only issue about carpooling that far I would have is the possibility of getting stuck without a ride back. What if the driver has an emergency and has to leave work early or the vehicle breaks down? I would contemplate that and have an emergency back up plan like the name and number of the closest rental car company that would come and pick me up. Even then you have to either do a one way rental or make sure you have a ride back the next day after you return the rental car.

Other than that, depending on the time of day you leave for work one hour is not that bad of a commute. If you live in a big city an hour is nothing.
There is a Emergency Ride Home Program that gives you 6 free taxi rides home in case of emergency.
Emergency Ride Home | South Florida Commuter Services - A Program of the Florida Department of Transportation

I would suggest joining a Vanpool. That way you are not driving your own car. So no wear and tear on your car. I currently have a Van that meets at the Home Depot on Gatlin Blvd. We commute to Jupiter daily. It only cost us $61 pp (Program is subsudized by Fed Government). The cost covers gas, insurance, leased van, maintenance, etc
Welcome to JOIN THE VANPOOL NATION
1-800-VAN-RIDE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach