Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,601 times

Advertisements

We went to Po' Boys & Pickles yesterday and it was very good and pretty reasonably priced. I had the 'golden shrimp sandwich' and it was great.

We've also been to Buck's Naked BBQ in the Old Port area and that was also good, albeit more expensive.

Sea Dog and Sebago breweries have also been good. Sebago has specials during the week (we went on a Monday and had cheap(er) burgers) too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Keep Checking back, I am sort of a foodie and will check around to see the best reasonable rest in Portland. I would obviously recommend fore st... their mussels appetizer are great but they are pricey and reservations usually needed..

I just read an article that in NYC people are going underground for food... strangers are opening their doors to sample exotic or culturally authentic food and they meet up online as Its often cheaper, and a way to meet new people.. of course the government feels its a problem! Maybe I will start cooking

Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 PM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times
my fav. seafood experience in Portland was the oyster bar at Street and Co. But it was too expensive to make a habit of it....but the one time we went for oysters and then for dinner was memorable.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
Since you don't put a dollar amount out, I would suggest Dimillos Floating Restaurant. It is downtown Portland on the waterfront. They have wonderful food, but is expensive by my eye. However, when we travel and want to try the best local fair, sometimes it is worth splurging. You also have the old port area of portland with many other restaurants and shops to explore. It can't be that bad if 40 or so cruise ships make Portland a stop every year.

When we travel to Orlando, FL every year, we always hit Carrabba's Italian Restaurant. It is expensive, but oh so good.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,842 times
That is the first positive comment I've heard about Dimillos. When I visit Portland, the locals tell me Dimillos is a tourist trap and not worth the money. Carrabba's is a chain restaurant you can find in many cities. We eat at the one near our home in Austin Texas fairly often but we wouldn't eat at one if we were traveling. That's when you experiment with the local foods.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I heard the same things about DiMillo's......but to tell you the truth the two times I wnt there.....I had fabulous meals.....and loved the atmosphere. They have a cocktail with colossal shrimp....probably a bloody mary....that was truly amazing. So it may be a tourist trap and over priced...but for me it is definitely a fun place to go...and it would be on my list again.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
That is the first positive comment I've heard about Dimillos. When I visit Portland, the locals tell me Dimillos is a tourist trap and not worth the money. Carrabba's is a chain restaurant you can find in many cities. We eat at the one near our home in Austin Texas fairly often but we wouldn't eat at one if we were traveling. That's when you experiment with the local foods.
I always thought the same thing but I went there this summer with a group of people who really wanted to go there and I thought it was excellent.. Although I cant remember how expensive it was.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM

234 posts, read 360,208 times
J's Oyster and Dry Dock are reasonably priced and right on the water in the Old Port. They aren't as trendy though, so don't expect amazing decor... just good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area