Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 01:57 AM

33 posts, read 34,106 times

Advertisements

My family is currently living in the Netherlands where special education is woefully lacking. Our youngest son, age 5, would benefit from additional support and we're considering a move back to the US in hopes of finding a community where special education resources (in the form of teachers, OTs, speech therapists, etc.) are strong. We lived in Portland years ago and visit every summer, but it was before our children were school aged, so we don't have much information on the current state of education. We'd prefer to be in Portland itself or possibly on Peaks, though we'd be open to surrounding areas, as well. Can anyone with children with special needs or educators in the system speak to the quality of special ed? Are there any particular schools that stand out?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:56 PM

155 posts, read 196,282 times
Hmm this surprises me, the media is always crowing about how Europe (especially Western and Northern Europe) is so vastly superior to the US in education. Maine is EXTREMELY hit or miss when it comes to schools, you'd find a few great ones and a few that are so bad I wouldn't be surprised if they're some of the absolute worst in the country (but that's more if you're up north or Downeast). It changes so often, in Southern Maine, I don't know honestly which ones are considered good and which bad right now; I remember a few years ago a couple schools I always heard were the pits are now considered some of the best ones around and vice versa.

But some of that other stuff you're talking about sounds like outside school resources. To be frank, Maine is small time, and given the low wages (lowest in the Northeast) and lack of a lot to do for most people's tastes, it doesn't exactly draw a huge pool of white collar talent. Probably best bet would be more Mass, VT, CT etc if you want to be in New England.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Thanks for your response, Jeremy.

The education here in the Netherlands is a mixed bag. There are aspects that I think are better than the US - you have school choice and there are all different kinds of schools (Montessori, Waldorf, Dalton, religious, etc.) to choose from as part of the public system. The youngest grades are play-based - testing hasn't yet crept down to that level, which is refreshing. There is lots of time outside. On the down side, class sizes are huge - 30 to a class is typical. Serious tracking starts at about age 12 when kids who test well go to a university-prep high schools and kids who don't test well are sent to vocational schools. (I think vocational schools are great, but kids should be able to choose whether they want to go that route or a college route). And there is little to no integration of children with special needs - instead, there are "special" schools where children with disabilities are supposed to go. Pretty archaic.

We lived in CT for many years and I know that the special education is strong there. But CT is not our cup of tea. We really want someplace more laid back and down to earth.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:54 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Portland has students with at least 36 different first languages in their schools. Their budget is stressed by that. Towns furthered north have very good special education programs. Portland recruited all that diversity because it seemed to them like a good idea. They are having second thoughts about it and Portland is experiencing urban flight as parents shop for better opportunities for their children.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 13,281 times
Did you ever find anything else out? I am also moving to Maine... this summer 2016 and i have a daughter who will require special education services.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 AM

Nurse214 - Unfortunately I haven't found out much more yet. Looking at public schools in general, Yarmouth, Cape Elizabeth, and Falmouth all have good reputations, so I imagine their special ed. might be the strongest, too, though I don't have any first-hand information. We'd very much prefer to have the greater diversity of Portland, but we still don't know much about the schools.

Good luck with your search!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM

9 posts, read 13,281 times
Thanks for getting back- I'm heading to Portland in 2 weeks to check out in more detail

Old 10-01-2015, 01:36 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Oh, you will have plenty of diversity in Portland. They have at least 36 different first languages and more coming all the time. Portland encourages immigrants to boost thier student numbers to get more state aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: