Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:22 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Portland from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Portland compared to where you came from?

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

c. Would you consider Portland a walkable city, or a city with a walkable downtown/shopping district?

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Portland?

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Portland keep pace with the COL?

8. What do you like best about Portland?

9. What do you like least?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 04:41 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times

It's a bigger city population wise, but not area wise. There are more quality restaurants and breweries.

I have a condo downtown. I also have property outside of Portland that I plan to transition too at some point.

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

My condo is fine. I bought at the right time so it has gained a lot of value. Renting right now is rough. My mortgage is cheaper than most rentals, but my condo is pretty small.
  4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

The city is pretty easy to navigate, but rush hour does create chaos since there are only a handful of major roads onto and off of the peninsula. I can actually drive to my property which is 25 miles away in the same time it takes to get across Portland during rush hour. So, obviously I have a car. I actually have two trucks and one parking space. I park one on the street, and my gf also parks her suv on the street.
    Parking downtown can be tough for running errands. It's often better to walk. As for public transportation, see below.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

I work for Metro. I think the system is decent. It is definitely getting better, and it is expanding this year, and possibly next. I don't use it that much though because it doesn't really work for me since I live downtown. I've worked for other transit agencies in other areas, and this one is pretty good overall.

c. Would you consider Portland a walkable city, or a city with a walkable downtown/shopping district?

Downtown is very walkable. Some neighborhoods are too because of the commerce in the area.
  5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

I've been here off and on since 2000. I came back because of work. I don't truly love Portland, but it is great for what it is, a small city. As stated earlier, I do plan to move out to either my property or out of Maine all together... haven't gotten that far yet.
  6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Portland?

Portland has a solid arts scene. There are plenty of galleries, music venues, etc. There is even a really good art museum downtown.
  7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Portland keep pace with the COL?

Downtown Portland is expensive. Salaries are decent depending on the job you have, but low wage jobs are abundant.

There are good restaurants and there is an amazing amount of local beers available. There is also good mountain biking in the area.

The traffic, and the large amount of homeless people. Also, my condo is in an area that sometimes stinks like the waterfront, but that is to be expected for living near the waterfront.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Dubthang, I'm very thankful for your response!

If any other transplants want to add their responses, please do. Your feedback will help me make some choices about where to move when I am ready - thanks again!

Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times
I don't live there but really wanted to comment the OP question--it's really well written.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I don't live there but really wanted to comment the OP question--it's really well written.
Thank you, doghead. I just thought up most of these questions at the spur of the moment while pondering what I would initially want to know about a place. Then I went back and added two more. I know the Maine forums are kind of slow, but I'd love to see more people chime in with their answers. Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:43 PM

17 posts, read 22,672 times
Answers:

1. How has Portland compared to where you came from? from the south, good opportunity if come up here while single without children and ambitious.
  2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb? guess, within or near city limits
  3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner. Help me No, Property Manager have a nagging carry and hard to approach on simple matters. the place is really nice but unforunate no washer/ dryer connections on each floor or in unit, not handicap friendly at all, parking is too micromanaged even if using one parking spot and not mentioned how left to fend for yourself during a snow storm. the neighbors did do best we could do for this year snow storm. it is too stressful for our busy lifestyles of 40 plus hour workweek or those that are disabled or single caregivers to be microplanning for snowstorms or any other management popups.
  4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation. It is manageable except #4 , formerly #6 public buses. The number 2 and number 5 would be runner ups. The route is too long for even coming every 15 or 20 so minutes.

5. b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before? it is better than average in the south esp. for being a small major city. The winter just not a matter, it is horrible to be standing at a bus stop for any reason.

c. Would you consider Portland a walkable city, or a city with a walkable downtown/shopping district? It is walkable.
  6. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term? Yes, when had a manageable property manager. The rent is too high for long-term and all this 2 months security parking and then controlling over who come as your guests and register with them. As long as they are not disturbing others in a No Opinion way, for a thousand dollar rent, you should not be monitored of only have guests for 10 days out of a year or someone visit a few days. What if it is an elder or dear one visiting out the country or someone sick or home being remodeled. This cause wedge in families and nosy butts always want to ask 'where your family'! For what, so you can monitor how much they visit and pay extra for a parking spot if helping our household for a birthday or if ill.'
  7. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Portland? Negative 9, since gentrification. It is a lack of tourism. This place is not anywhere New York and need to understand it is far behind. They had First Art Walk about 6 years ago and it attracted many economically lower income small biz and patreons. It was really nice, not out of hand at all. With the gentrification, became a disfavor.
  8. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Portland keep pace with the COL? Minimium wage is $10 but with $1500 for comfortable easier to rent place, be real even if a couple get a bachelors and how much time have to await a company to hire along with benefits. How long before can save for a house unless live over the limit minimalist.
  9. What do you like best about Portland? it is not the worst place in America or too near it but can do better for all cultures to have a share of areas without following gentrification.
  10. What do you like least? Gentrification, many of those that would be great service providers going where it is more economical suit for them

Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
I lived in Maine for 14 years and moved back to NJ 5 years ago. Maine is not the utopia it is advertised as. There are several Threads that talk about the personality of the people. I loved it when I first moved there but they will turn on you just to watch you struggle. If I knew that when I moved I would't have been as trusting. If you are a loner and like to live in seclusion northern Maine is for you. If you need a taste of the city Portland is on the small side of a city.

1 How has Portland compared to where you came from?
I am from central Jersey so Portland was about the same or smaller living next to NYC

2 Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?
Lived in the city and Greater Portland

3 Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.
Rented in the city and just outside the downtown until I bought a home in Falmouth which is next to Portland

4 a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.
I own a car. Getting around is easy until it snows. Small grocery stores in town but larger ones you would need to drive

Don't use public transportation, all I know of is Bus service and Taxi

It's all walkable

5 Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?
I lived in Maine for 14 years and enjoyed it. Its some of the people that were the problem, now that I know them I visit with caution. I keep intouch with the friends I did make and they agree with how Mainers can be.

6 How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Portland?
Cultural offering are limited and there is only one big venue for concerts. The Old Port Festival in June is the only big one.

7 Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think
salaries in Portland keep pace with the COL?
Cost of living isn't too bad if you have a good job.

8 What do you like best about Portland?
Its the biggest city in Maine and you can take a train to Boston to satisfy your big city fix.

9 What do you like least?
Not enough diversity. Restaurants and shops are about it. It has a little bit of everything and you can cover the whole city in a day or two. Coming from NJ just outside of NYC, Portland is more like my home town. They can do better with snow removal so you need tolerance and patience.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:32 PM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Portland from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.

I lived in downtown Portland 2 years and then moved back to the midwest.

Including Portland and S Portland, it's about the same size as where I came from.

In the middle of the peninsula, literally. Easy walk to Old Port, and about 10 blocks to the Eastern Promenade.

Rented an apartment, in a 100 year old building. Very nice rehab. However, the area was being gentrified, so a nice building could be right next to a run-down "half-way" house (lots of those in Portland).

Yes, I had a car, but could walk to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Old Port. A car was definitely needed for anything other than restaurants, cute shops and those two food stores. (Target, Walmart, etc., were in S Portland) I did not use public transportation when living there.

Did not use.

Portland is walkable, but mainly to shops and restaurants. I was able to walk to the post office and Fed Ex from my apartment and as I mentioned, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but since the entire peninsula is one big hill, carrying heavy grocery bags up hill from those stores to an apartment wasn't ideal. I ended up driving to get groceries. Hannaford's was also on the peninsula, but too far for me to walk with groceries.

I had planned on retiring there, but after 2 years, the harsh winters (2013-2014 and especially 2014-2015) were too much. I had off street parking, but ended up digging my car out every week during 14-15. Way too much snow for me. The hills in the city weren't cleared all that well after big storms, so driving around in the winter was challenging, to say the least. Not how I wanted to spend my retirement in spite of the natural beauty.

Fairly good options for a small city, though expensive. Easy access to Boston on commuter buses and Amtrak, however.

No, I think salaries were low compared to a very expensive cost of living. I didn't work (retired) but talked to plenty of people who were professionals and service workers and all said salaries were low and none of them lived in the city. The city itself, especially the peninsula, is either high end condos and expensive rentals or low-end run-down 6 and 8 plexes, filled with druggies or unsupervised "half-way houses" that will likely end up being gentrified at some point. Very few middle class people live on the peninsula, at least in my experience.

Being a few blocks from the ocean, walking to Old Port, summer weather, spectacular coastline, superb customer service in Big Box places like Target and Walmart (very surprising) and excellent customer service overall, very inexpensive car insurance (lowest in country), nice, smooth roads, great historical architecture, LL Bean in Freeport (15 miles).

Bums everywhere, homeless roaming all over the place, panhandlers hassling you when you walked around the peninsula, finding needles on the street in front of your nice apartment building, bums going through your trash looking for returnable bottles, 3-4 people standing with cardboard signs at EVERY entrance and exit ramp on the highway, high cost of services (medical, dental, etc), restaurants were way overpriced, far too many tourists in the summer from NY and Mass (not to pick on tourists from NY and Mass, but that was most of the out of state plates in the summer, tourists causing clogged roads and sidewalks in Old Port, and heavy traffic on scenic coastal highways).

Cruise ships docking and unloading a couple thousand people into Old Port, a dozen or more very loud concerts in Old Port during the summer with loud music that could be heard in apartment buildings many blocks away. Some winters can be brutal with tons of snow, so you have to love winter to live there and be prepared to deal with very cold weather, storms coming in from the ocean and nor'easters.

THANK YOU!

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 04-30-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Four wheel drive is highly recommended, black ice is more of a problem than the snow. I should have mentioned I had a four wheel drive truck.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,335 times
A lot of good info here. Thanks. I'm also considering Portland for a year or so- just retired and exploring the country. I'm in Colorado Springs now. The one thing I was hoping not to be in Portland, which it appears is there, is the homeless and panhandlers. CS is bad with it and I know what that's like. Impossible to sit outside a coffee shop to relax and watch the city and not view 20-30 homeless downtown here. A definite turnoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: