Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM

19 posts, read 95,403 times

Advertisements

hello -- we are planning to be in portland for most of the summer. Was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on a good reputable day camp in the area?

thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 PM

513 posts, read 897,353 times
Camp Ketcha in Scarborough was a great place when my kids went about 8 years ago or so, they're older now but they loved it. They have several different activities for the kids, it's clean and not far from portland. It's been a while since I've been there but it's worth checking in to. Some of the activities I remember are: Swimming, archery, theatre, horseback riding, arts and crafts, various sports activities etc.

You could also try some of the town community program day camps in the greater Portland areas, they usually have fun day camp programs for kids and they take field trips to various places, as far as I know anyone is welcome as long as they have openings available. I know Falmouth, Cumberland and Yarmouth all have these type of programs and it's not just for the locals, anyone can register.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 AM

19 posts, read 95,403 times
Thank you Snowflake (love your name btw)! I went on the website -- sounds really great! Some weeks were full already, must be popular!

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
My oldest always went to "camp camp" with the area churches.

Setting religion aside for a minute, these camps provide fun for pre teens and teens, how to be a good person, friend and they do drama, and sports. I'm happy she enjoyed it so much and she meets kids from all over maine.

Sarah loved it so much that she's been going since she was 13. (4 years to all the events).

This is the only "camp" events I know of and would recommend. They have a week camp during the summer and during the year they get together for weekend events. The kids get to be mentors to other kids " She's been a group leader for 3 yrs and counts down to go.
I would love to find something fun and not to far for Emily who is almost 9.

Tami ~peachie

Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
You might check out Winslow Park in Freeport. My daughter was assistant Director there for a couple summers during college. I believe it is run by the town. It is a great location right on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area