Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:16 PM

19 posts, read 201,890 times

Advertisements

Hi .......posting here for some general information regarding elementary school ratings for the Portland area. That including towns like Gorham, Windham, Westbrook, South Portland, etc.
I'm reading on greatschools.net .....that test scores are very low in most catergories and I was hoping someone with elementary school age children could help me out with things.
I can't understand how Maine (with a ranking of #6 in the entire nation - for smartest states) ... could have MEA scores this low.

Again .....hoping some parent who currently has children in the public school systems or someone who has graduated kids from those areas could help me out with this question.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:45 PM

41 posts, read 170,795 times
For Public schools in the Portland area, Falmouth, Cumberland, and Yarmouth are prize winning top notch, This is very well known in the greater portland area. Real estate agents usually use The excellent school system rating as a selling tool because it is so important to parents such as yourself.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 93,527 times
That is about the only area where I would allow my kids to go do not go into piscataquis county they dont do background checks on teachers my sone got a child molestor for a teacher she molested 14 children total and they allowed her to continue teaching for the rest of that year, She is still teaching right today.

Robert

Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,631 times
MEA scores dont really mean anything- they are just run by the state so you cant compare them to other states- also, since they dont mean anything students usually dont try on them so the scores are just misleading.
The MEA standards are very high too, so alot of schools get only "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory" approval ratings. The school systems you mentioned are all fine, Gorham has great schools. Windham and South Portland are probably average compared to other Maine schools. But I think an average school in Maine is generally good.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,316 times
About the MEAs...

I took those three years ago in my senior year. We knew those do not go on our transcripts in anyway or ever effect us in the future so we did not care about them. Most of just randomly guessed answers we did not know off the bat. Some people just chose multiple choice answers at random. I answered alot without even reading the question. After the 3rd day of doing those tests no one cared anymore. most everyone just winged the essay without caring about detail or grammer. We just wanted to not be taking the tests. Its not that were are dumb, we just don't give a crap about MEAs.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,189 times
My students don't take their tests too seriously. The older they are, the more likely they are to fart around with the scores. I think there is definitely a decreased motivation in rural kids to succeed academically unless the right teachers can get a fire lit. Where I live, they make more money lobstering than I make as their teacher!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
ACN

1 posts, read 2,814 times
I recomend Longfellow k-5 for Portland, we had an excellent experience. Thumbs up also for Breakwater (private k-5)
You could never go wrong with any of the schools in either Falmouth, Yarmouth, Cumberland or Scarborough.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 21,016 times
I was born and raised in Maine and I've been to two different high schools and was even home schooled for a year. I had a couple teachers who taught spelling who didn't even spell the words right on the lists they gave out to the students (4th-5th grade). Kids get bored when they know more than the teachers do. However, we had music classes right from KG and art class starting in 3rd grade. We went on a lot of field trips and extracurricular activities were always available. Regarding the MEAs, the teachers never got around to teaching us everything that was on the tests, and instructed us to make the best guess. It's true, no one really cared about them, so there wasn't any motivation for the students to really try. What bothers me most about Maine (if you're thinking of moving there), is that a great percentage of people who live there have mediocre jobs, and don't have any desire or motivation to do better for themselves or their family. They raise their kids in Maine, the kids go to the same school they went to, the kids go to the same college they went to (or don't go at all), and do the same thing all over again- have kids while still in high school, get married, and so on. I had to get out of there.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
About the MEAs...

I took those three years ago in my senior year.
I remember taking the MEAs as a junior. I think it was for juniors not seniors.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I remember taking the MEAs as a junior. I think it was for juniors not seniors.
Yeah, you are right. Maybe I should payed more attention to those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area