Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,836 times

Advertisements

Taking a trip to Portland with my wife and 1 yr old son in Sept. We are staying at the Portland Harbor Hotel. We have been looking at things to do/ see online, but always better to hear from the locals. In particular, would love a great place to eat lunch & dinner. (I also love beer .... so any place w/ micro brews for lunch or dinn that is appropriate to bring a 1 yr old would be great).

also- any information on the hotel would be appreciated. We can swap it out for the Hilton if bad feedback.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Taking a trip to Portland with my wife and 1 yr old son in Sept. We are staying at the Portland Harbor Hotel. We have been looking at things to do/ see online, but always better to hear from the locals. In particular, would love a great place to eat lunch & dinner. (I also love beer .... so any place w/ micro brews for lunch or dinn that is appropriate to bring a 1 yr old would be great).

also- any information on the hotel would be appreciated. We can swap it out for the Hilton if bad feedback.

THANKS!
Gritty Mc Duff's Brewpub on Fore Street in Portland is a good choice for a freshly made beer and good pub fare. Go in the afternoon between 2:00PM and 4:00 PM to avoid the busy lunch and after work mug club crowds. If you want a fancy high end meal the Restaurant "Fore Street", again on Fore Street, is one of the top rated restaurants in Maine. It is literally in the back parking lot of the Hilton Garden Hotel. Below "Fore Street "restaurant is Standard Baking Company. If you want to try the best bread in Maine pick up a fresh baguette. This bakery has won awards in France for their authentic French breads. There is also "Flatbreads" brick oven pizza across Exchange Street from the Hilton Garden near the Ferry terminal. Fantastic pizza cooked in a wood fired oven. Great selection of local brews on tap as well.
Since I live here I do not have much call to use hotels so unfortunately I can't shed any light on the Portland Harbor Hotel or the Hilton.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:54 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Well, if you feel like rising early...
Grab breakfast at Becky's or Rosie's.
Head down to the Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth, perhaps stop and see the Bug Light and Spring Point Light too (So. Portland.)
Return to the Old Port (where your hotel is) for lunch at Gritty's Brew Pub.
After walk around the Old Port for a bit while enjoying an ice cream from Beal's. Hope in the car, and head out to Mackworth Island (Falmouth) for a quick hike around the island, and great views. Follow this up with dinner at The Great Lost Bear.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,836 times
that you both for the useful information. Appreciate it!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM

I don't know any info on the hotel that you are staying at, but I do know about the Regency. My gf works there. They have a great restaurant, an awesome bar (one of the best in Portland for atmosphere, imho,) and offer full spa services. It is located right near Exchange St. in the Old Port.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
If you want a fancy high end meal the Restaurant "Fore Street", again on Fore Street, is one of the top rated restaurants in Maine.
Lots of good ideas here.

Fore Street is an excellent dinner suggestion. I would just add that "fancy" is relative. Fore Street's food is top-notch, excellent continental American cuisine; but the atmosphere at Fore Street and any of the other better restaurants in Portland is very casual. Jeans and a Polo are more than acceptable attire for a dinner anywhere in town. It's great food in a completely casual/ unpretentious atmosphere. It's a nice change from having to dress up for a nice meal in New York or another major city. Furthermore, the prices at Fore Street and the other nice places in Portland are very reasonable and I would say affordable. You'll rarely see an entree over $30 (usually around $25) and none of it is a la carte. The wine lists leave a bit to be desired, but not bad. I'd suggest a local brew instead if you're looking for the real local flavor (While I find Shipyard, Gritty's and Geary's to be subpar, Allagash (http://www.allagash.com/beer.htm - broken link) makes EXCELLENT Belgian style "living" beers. Almost every decent spot in Portland carries Allagash White which is very good).

For dinner options, I would suggest Hugo's in addition to Fore Street for a menu that's a bit more creative than most places you'll find in Portland. Hugo's chef, Rob Evans is probably the most noteable chef in Portland and it could be argued that he is single-handedly responsible for putting Portland's dining scene on the map. Grace just expanded recently and is good as well (I don't like it as much as Hugo's or Fore Street).

Taking a 1 year old to any of these places wouldn't be a problem. Furthermore, they're all really easy to walk to from either hotel option (the hotels are maybe 1/4 mile apart). Downtown/ The Old Port in Portland is a tiny geographic area... walking it won't be any trouble.

While I don't care for the food at the Great Lost Bear (at all, really), it does have the best selection of beers (on draft and bottled) in Maine. Novare Res is an excellent beer bar too, so if you can sneak away in the evening, you'll enjoy their selection (it's only about 5 minutes walk from either hotel).

As far as things to do, the ferries and islands are fun as is Portland Head Light. Walking around the historic areas (Old Port and West End) can give you some perspective on local architecture. There's a decent art museum in Portland worth visiting if you enjoy that.

Have a good trip.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,244 times
If it rains during your stay the Children's Museum has a small child play area that your son may enjoy.

I second Mackworth Island for an easy hike but if there is no parking you will be turned away with a friendly "Come back latah".

The Narrow Gauge Railway is great for kids as is the splash pond and the new playground at Deering Oaks. I'm not sure how far in to September the pond is open but if your visit falls on a warm day it is worth checking out.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
If it rains during your stay the Children's Museum has a small child play area that your son may enjoy.

I second Mackworth Island for an easy hike but if there is no parking you will be turned away with a friendly "Come back latah".

The Narrow Gauge Railway is great for kids as is the splash pond and the new playground at Deering Oaks. I'm not sure how far in to September the pond is open but if your visit falls on a warm day it is worth checking out.
The new playground is awesome... especially since I helped build it.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
The new playground is awesome... especially since I helped build it.
Now I'm wondering if we saw you down there last week DeeringOaks

Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 PM

I wasn't there. I switched jobs halfway through the build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area