Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM

22 posts, read 59,082 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of living in Maine?

For example; the number of available jobs?

Describe to me what the winters are like?

*Thanks for your valuable feedback*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Everything is subjective.

Where in California are you?

I grew-up in the San Joaquin Valley [Modesto - Fresno] and spent a lot of time in the Sierra Nevadas. I also lived in Northern California in Lake County on a goat dairy. So my experiences of California might be very different from someone who lived exclusively in L.A. or Santa Barbara.

For me, the crime is amazingly low, as are property values and taxes.

In Maine a family can buy a home, raise a family and prosper on a relatively low income. Whereas such is simply impossible in other regions of the nation.

You will here a lot about the lack of jobs in Maine. Maine has had a depressed economy for many decades, it is not a recently event. Whereas California's problems are mostly due to more recent issues.

Maine does not experience droughts like most of the nation does. No brown dry grass by the end of May. The trees, shrubs and grasses all stay green year round in Maine. Most of the state is forest and very rural, yet we have very few forest fires.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,865 times
forest beekeeper, wow. i'm currently living in the central valley of cali, have been for three years. off topic, i was just wondering what made you move to maine? and is it a tundra as i make it out to be? i ask because i'm looking to move, i just need large space for cheap (being a starving artist and all), i just can't afford big city living.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
forest beekeeper, wow. i'm currently living in the central valley of cali, have been for three years. off topic, i was just wondering what made you move to maine?
Long story; my career had us traveling a lot. My siblings stayed in Cali and I went back every year to visit. Maybe I changed, maybe Cali changed, but I would not be comfortable there anymore.

My employer provides a good pension so we got to focusing a lot of my vacation time on where we would prefer to go when I retired. After about ten years of that, Maine filtered it's way to the top of our list.

Quote:
... and is it a tundra as i make it out to be? i ask because i'm looking to move, i just need large space for cheap (being a starving artist and all), i just can't afford big city living.
Maine carries a strong reputation for being 'tundra'; 18 months of winter each year and -40 degree temps.

I think that the snow-belt that lies South of us, extending from the Great Lakes and Eastward, causes so much havoc for the folks in Detroit - Buffalo - NYC that it firmly establishes in their minds that anywhere North of them must be an uninhabitable tundra.

If you go to my 'profile' on CD, there are some pictures of my land. It is not tundra.

On the other hand, I think that a 'starving artist' will most certainly starve in Maine. Maine has had, and continues to have a high unemployment rate. Maine has had a depressed economy for many decades. Jobs are few and generally seasonal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area