Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Well Babycoleslaw...You are merely days away from Portland..
The summer is obviously the best time there, lots of festivals and events...
If you are into art, the Pearl district has "First Thursday" I belive many cities has a simuliar event...Walk around, eat drink, be merry...

There is also Saturday Market...fun, eclectic and supports local growers, artists and craftspeople...I recommend it.

Rose Festival is fun...once. Very crowded and kinda just a big county fair in downtown. Of course there is good food and entertainment...just pick your day wisely. The city really comes alive that week...all over is fun. I prefer the Bones and Brew festival, Or Blues festival...Or heck, make your own festival...sitting out at a sidewalk cafe, not hard to find some friends to join in!!

Another cant miss is the Pug Parade on the eastside...around Russell street, Ithink??? (it may have already happened)

Im sure you will have a great time....let us know!!! Are you relocating or just visiting?
We actually were there last weekend for a whirlwind trip to find a house...we are actually relocating there in 2 weeks!
We love to take the kids to artsy activities so thanks for the heads up! We were there on vacation last summer and took them to the Saturday Market which they loved...there was a 'one man band' there with several instruments for the audience to manipulate and the kids were entertained for a LONG time!
I also just learned that there are many, many off leash dog parks which I'm thrilled about. Our Vizsla is going to love it as much as we do!!
I just love any and all opinions from those of you who've been locals....can't wait to be one myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 01:13 AM

700 posts, read 2,595,781 times
My favorite off leash dogpark is Gabriel Park in SW Portland...Vermont St and ...something.. I cant remember. Its huge!!! There is a great/unique kids cafe right around the corner called Peanut Butter and Ellies (the have web site) perfect place for kids nearby. And my absolutely favorite Italian restaurant Alba is down from there in Hillsdale....for the nights you can get a sitter!!! Kurt is a master with fresh pasta (among other things)...and the wines are crazy good!!

Lots of great parks in town...easy to get around. Enjoy

Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
My favorite off leash dogpark is Gabriel Park in SW Portland...Vermont St and ...something.. I cant remember. Its huge!!! There is a great/unique kids cafe right around the corner called Peanut Butter and Ellies (the have web site) perfect place for kids nearby. And my absolutely favorite Italian restaurant Alba is down from there in Hillsdale....for the nights you can get a sitter!!! Kurt is a master with fresh pasta (among other things)...and the wines are crazy good!!

Lots of great parks in town...easy to get around. Enjoy
GREAT information, thank you!!!!! We're wine buffs so will check it out!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,079 times
I am also considering moving to Portland from the East Coast. I do not drive a car so being in the city would be quite necessary or having access to transportation close by would be quite helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting a one bedroom apt in a nice gay neighborhood or the names of any apt rental agencies that are gay friendly? ...Thanx.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
Check the classified ads here: Gay & Lesbian News Portland Oregon

Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,079 times
Smile From Evan 69

Thanx, for the information, Rob. I will look into it

Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM

35 posts, read 97,202 times
Portland is very gay friendly...don't let the "i'm opposed to homosexuality" and "i've worked with some homosexuals" types scare you. Multnomah County (where Portland is located) is about 75% democrats...even if they're not gay, they're open minded and progressive. Downtown Portland is a great walking neighborhood. The Pearl district is probably the trendiest area, with lofts, restaurants, bars, etc. Really, all neighborhoods in Portland have gay people. You wouldn't feel out of place in any of them. Northwest, Irvington, Laurelhurst, Mt. Tabor, Sellwood, Hawthorne, Belmont...Portland is a nice place...if this is where you want to be, don't think for a second that you won't be welcome.
Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 23,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I'm opposed to the homosexual lifestyle, myself. But Portland is almost accepting of it as San Francisco.

In business, I worked primarily in the suburbs, and asked more than half of my 600 customers how they felt about homosexuals.

Just curious what propelled you to ask more than 300 of your customers how they felt about homosexuality? What type of business are you in that that would come up in conversation?

I myself go by Dr. Suess, and I quote from his children's book:
"Horton Hears a Who":
"A person's a person no matter how small".

that's regardless of geographic location.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I'm opposed to the homosexual lifestyle, myself. But Portland is almost accepting of it as San Francisco.

In business, I worked primarily in the suburbs, and asked more than half of my 600 customers how they felt about homosexuals.

What I gathered, is that a far bigger percentage of professional business people, are not accepting of homosexuality in the suburbs, but are not actively in opposition to it.

So Portland is quite a bit more accepting of it than the suburban areas.

A few of my customers were homosexuals, but I still did work for them, and we maintained out own political space. Never really crossed moral swords with any of them in the realm of commerce.
thank you, that was a good letter. we dont have to be accepting of the lifestyle, doesnt mean we have to discriminate.

where would you say is a good suburb that is conservative yet near portland ?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 AM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
The city offers a gay visitor's guide in addition to the regular one. They can mail it, or I'm sure it's on their website! Impressive that a smaller city offers such a brochure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland