Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM

241 posts, read 713,165 times

Advertisements

Ok, I lived in Puyallup, WA (near Tacoma) from 2001-2004. I NEVER found it gloomy or depressing (I'm from Toronto and perhaps the lack of freezing cold winters had jaded my perception a bit).

I visited Portland for the first time this summer and LOVED the city.

Is Portland worse in terms of winter weather than Western WA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 128,965 times
no...what makes you (and me) different is we are used to truly crappy winters.

i'm from michigan. gray and freezing is worse by far than grey and cool.

those who have a strong distaste for portland winters are usually from warm, sunny climates originally.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
.....Is Portland worse in terms of winter weather than Western WA?
No.

Close enough that any difference fades to insignificance as you leave the PNW.

Our active volcano is Mt. Hood, Tacoma I think has Mr. Rainier.

Phil

Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM

528 posts, read 885,743 times
LOL... I come from SoCal, and I'm moving to Michigan in search of snow (and horse property). I suppose I don't fit the typical mold.

We lived in Seattle, we've lived here for 4 summers. In general, summers are warmer, fewer summer storms, and not as gloomy or drizzly as Seattle.

I've said all summer this summer reminded me of a Seattle summer. They're usually much more overwhelmingly sunny and dry. This one was very mild.

I think the weather here is fantastic. It's rarely muggy, you get summer and then you get enough of a break to make you appreciate it. You get snow and then you don't for years, or you get a light dusting (a perk for you snow area folks).

Frankly, most of my family are SoCal loving lizards, but I don't do heat. It's just a matter of preference.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Michigan????
MICHIGAN?

There must be more to this story than snow and horse farm land. Got to be.
Southeast Wisconsin (north by northwest of Chicago) is better for both snow and horses, without the problems of being centered between the Great Lakes and the god awful problems that plague Michigan's current economy. Lake Geneva Wisconsin I think is great horse country, and even over by Baraboo, Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Dells is better snow and horse country.

(Baraboo was once, 100 years or so, the winter home of a couple of the northern teams of great Tent Circuses. Lots and Lots of circus horse farms once were all around Baraboo. Big draft horses and smaller performing horses. There is a museum there where you can see the barn that housed JUMBO, the elephant, during winter).

But you made your own mind up, so I wish you the best of luck. Just be aware of the 'Calvinist' religious ultra conservatives over in the Western side of the Lower Peninsula. That ain't 'Left Coast' country.

Phil

Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
It's not the summers that are considered gloomy. They're probably as near to perfect as you'll find in the US.

It's the other 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: