Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I would like to get a feel of what it is like to live in Portland, OR. The cost of living, culture, Arts, employment, rents, etc. What makes it unique, is it good for a 40 something single woman. Is it good for an artsywoman, and outdoorsy woman? I have received a lot of information in the mail, but would like some real, live local comments! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 AM

254 posts, read 653,438 times
It's absolutely wonderful for the outdoors around here ArtsyWoman. Here's a pic I took last weekend:

Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Hello everyone. I would like to get a feel of what it is like to live in Portland, OR. The cost of living, culture, Arts, employment, rents, etc. What makes it unique, is it good for a 40 something single woman. Is it good for an artsywoman, and outdoorsy woman? I have received a lot of information in the mail, but would like some real, live local comments! Thanks in advance!
I don't mean to be surly, but this forum is chock full of "real, live local comments" covering all the topics you mentioned. Please spend a few hours reading through them and you'll get answers to all your questions. If, after reading, you still have a specific question - ask away!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM

96 posts, read 131,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
It's absolutely wonderful for the outdoors around here ArtsyWoman. Here's a pic I took last weekend:
that's what I'm talking about!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
..... Portland, OR. The cost of living, culture, Arts, employment, rents, etc. What makes it unique, is it good for a 40 something single woman. Is it good for an artsywoman, and outdoorsy woman?.....
Depending on where you are from, or living now, the cost of living is about on par with Seattle, but less the San Francisco. If you are moving from a major East Coast city, a good bargain. If you are coming from the rust belt, food costs will be a shock and rate a 'meh' if you are now living in LA.

Portland is a Left Coast urban city, which takes a lot of clues about culture from San Francisco (city). There are lots (only in quantity) of performance arts presentations, classical music performances, and works of arts displayed. There are many clubs and small music performance venues for all types of Jazz (west coast mellow of course being common,) rock, indie, pop music, and of course lots of dance clubs from West-coast Swing, ballroom, to Hot Salsa, and including (as expected) 'nasty-grinding' style dancing.

City of Portland is all about neighborhoods, and some parts of some neighborhoods are very urban and have an infrastructure to permit people to go car-less, but most of the land mass is a mixture of suburban life with urban amenities and amusements close at hand.

There are lots of artist, artisans, crafters, and artistic talented wannabees all over Portland. The problem, from my point of view, is the available patrons and patron-dollars in and around Portland. (The big art buying markets are in California.) Portland may be a great place to create works of Art, but you still got to eat, pay rent, yada, yada, yada.

Please Google: Moving to Portland
A couple of hits will give info on the neighborhoods around the City of Portland. Portland's 'burbs are just that, 'burbs. The Google links are hosted by Real Estate Ladies, so they are a bit Rah-Rah cheerleader-ish, but, Hey, what do you expect?

Young starving artist do seem to me (I haven't lived in Portland all that long) to be congregating up along NE Alberta street. More commercially successful artist up on NW 21st-23rd street where the rent is SO-O-O much higher for an apartment with good studio light.

HTH

Phil

PS: Almost no Jobs or employment unless you have a specific highly trained job skill. Worst is low wage, low skill, type jobs. The Great Recession ain't over yet.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
As a relative newcomer, I relish the opportunity to rave about Portland, and Oregon in general.

Let me preface this by saying I am 42, married with two daughters.

I have lived in 15 different states and spent significant time in many others. I have lived and experienced life in just about every part of the USA. My wife moved around a lot as well before we got together, and as a couple and family we have moved many times. Just since 2006 we have moved from Oklahoma to Virginia to New York to Oregon.

Oregon as a state has everything. Coastline, mountains, high desert, great people. Heck, from Portland you can be to the ocean or way up in the mountains or out in some beautiful camping areas with waterfalls, etc. all within 60-90 minutes.

The climate, to me, is unbeatable. Yes, there are a lot of rainy, overcast days, particularly between November and March, but there are also lovely days during that time. In the Spring and Fall the colors from the foliage are astonishingly beautiful and the air is like champagne. It doesn't get overly hot in the Summer (I think it hit the 90s about 10 times if that this past Summer) and the Winters are mild as far as freezing temps and snow (in Portland specifically; other areas of the state can get verrry cold, icy, windy and white.)

Portland has a number of very cool districts. Artsy but welcoming. Great food options. More interesting shops and markets than I could begin to mention. Excellent music scene.

I am very fond of the people here. On the whole, they are very open and friendly and fun.

All I can say is, this is home. My family and I may not always live in Portland (though we could, very happily) but I hope and plan to always live somewhere in Western Oregon, depending upon what advances I may be able to make in my state job. Eugene and Medford are also very appealing to us and may be options on down the road.

I also like other regions in the state, but we are spoiled now and wish to remain within a couple hours of the coast if possible. So many beautiful beaches and amazing scenery.

In short, Portland proper is a perfect place for the arts scene. In my opinion, it has most of what you'd find in a much larger city but it's less expensive and easier to get around. Also easier to get set up, although the job market in the state is pretty weak at the moment.

And the state of Oregon itself is an outdoors paradise.

I have never been to a state I loved so much.

Rentals in Portland are higher than some of the nearby/surrounding towns and 'burbs, but less pricey than many parts of the country. I'd say living expenses are easily on par with any city comparable in size, but then the quality of life is far higher.

What are you waiting for?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM

240 posts, read 483,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
As a relative newcomer, I relish the opportunity to rave about Portland, and Oregon in general.

Absolutely. I love living here and expect to be an Oregonian always. I second everything you listed.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Griffis, you couldn't have said it any better.

I will be coming, whether the jobs look tough to get or not. It beats South FL for me.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM

96 posts, read 131,987 times
concur with Doctor

Last edited by sammy332; 01-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: uiju

Old 01-04-2011, 03:23 AM

8 posts, read 13,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Let me preface this by saying I am 42, married with two daughters.

I have lived in 15 different states and spent significant time in many others. I have lived and experienced life in just about every part of the USA. My wife moved around a lot as well before we got together, and as a couple and family we have moved many times. Just since 2006 we have moved from Oklahoma to Virginia to New York to Oregon.

Oregon as a state has everything. Coastline, mountains, high desert, great people. Heck, from Portland you can be to the ocean or way up in the mountains or out in some beautiful camping areas with waterfalls, etc. all within 60-90 minutes.

The climate, to me, is unbeatable. Yes, there are a lot of rainy, overcast days, particularly between November and March, but there are also lovely days during that time. In the Spring and Fall the colors from the foliage are astonishingly beautiful and the air is like champagne. It doesn't get overly hot in the Summer (I think it hit the 90s about 10 times if that this past Summer) and the Winters are mild as far as freezing temps and snow (in Portland specifically; other areas of the state can get verrry cold, icy, windy and white.)

Portland has a number of very cool districts. Artsy but welcoming. Great food options. More interesting shops and markets than I could begin to mention. Excellent music scene.

I am very fond of the people here. On the whole, they are very open and friendly and fun.

All I can say is, this is home. My family and I may not always live in Portland (though we could, very happily) but I hope and plan to always live somewhere in Western Oregon, depending upon what advances I may be able to make in my state job. Eugene and Medford are also very appealing to us and may be options on down the road.

I also like other regions in the state, but we are spoiled now and wish to remain within a couple hours of the coast if possible. So many beautiful beaches and amazing scenery.

In short, Portland proper is a perfect place for the arts scene. In my opinion, it has most of what you'd find in a much larger city but it's less expensive and easier to get around. Also easier to get set up, although the job market in the state is pretty weak at the moment.

And the state of Oregon itself is an outdoors paradise.

Rentals in Portland are higher than some of the nearby/surrounding towns and 'burbs, but less pricey than many parts of the country. I'd say living expenses are easily on par with any city comparable in size, but then the quality of life is far higher.

What are you waiting for?
This is a Great text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland