Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM

287 posts, read 739,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
You've never been and dont plan on checking it out before you move? Its going to be a HUGE change from Hollywood. Keep in mind a lot of the neighborhoods in NW Portland and the Pearl are pretty much "yuppie" areas. Sounds like SE might be a better fit for you. There are some little neighborhoods within walking distance but its no within walking of downtown Portland.
The weather will be a 180* from So Cal. Expect gray, rain, and generally dreary weather (mixed in with snow and some ice) from October to June. I wouldnt say that Seattle is any less dreary. At least my husband who lived there for years didnt think there was a big difference. Maybe just a bit cooler temperature wise. Will you have jobs before coming?
Really... its rare to have snow and ice in the valley. Dreary weather? That's YOUR opinion. For me? Its a paradise. October to june part is so wrong. You are not a native to portland. It is like november to march/april with april to june a mix of sun, showers, changing weather in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
[quote=Or3g0n;18582744]Really... its rare to have snow and ice in the valley. Dreary weather? That's YOUR opinion. For me? Its a paradise. October to june part is so wrong. You are not a native to portland. It is like november to march/april with april to june a mix of sun, showers, changing weather in a day.[/quot

OP is talking Portland here specifically, not the Willamette Valley. And you can have all kinds of weather across the valley. Portland DOES get snow and ice. Do you remember Christmas about 2.5 years ago? I never said it snowed or iced over regularly but it DOES happen.
I actually am native to Portland and yes, dreary is my opinion of it. Not everyone likes rain, rain and more rain. For someone moving from So Cal to Portland it is a huge difference weather-wise. Have you lived anywhere else to compare Portland's weather to? Its a big change to some people

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM

66 posts, read 144,169 times
[quote=Daisy32673;18588687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
Really... its rare to have snow and ice in the valley. Dreary weather? That's YOUR opinion. For me? Its a paradise. October to june part is so wrong. You are not a native to portland. It is like november to march/april with april to june a mix of sun, showers, changing weather in a day.[/quot

OP is talking Portland here specifically, not the Willamette Valley. And you can have all kinds of weather across the valley. Portland DOES get snow and ice. Do you remember Christmas about 2.5 years ago? I never said it snowed or iced over regularly but it DOES happen.
I actually am native to Portland and yes, dreary is my opinion of it. Not everyone likes rain, rain and more rain. For someone moving from So Cal to Portland it is a huge difference weather-wise. Have you lived anywhere else to compare Portland's weather to? Its a big change to some people
I think Daisy is giving good advice, it's honest.

Daisy---do u like living in portland? How do u deal with the rain all year long?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffffaaaaa1 View Post
.... How do u deal with the rain all year long?
FYI----
in the few months I have been living in Portland, I have now meet 6 ladies (my age bracket, BTW) who are long, LONG time Portland residences and they all travel to Las Vegas in March or Early April to find the Sunshine and off-season hotel pricing. I have heard tall tails (I don't know how true) about ladies who travel to LA in the last week of February or early March for cultural events (symphony, art gallery, etc.) in LA that occur each year at about that time. Spring time sunshine snow skiing in Utah and Idaho are good draws for Portlanders who are so inclined for Sunshine and winter sports.

In short, those who can afford it, leave Portland when SAD is at its worst.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
[quote=ffffffaaaaa1;18588878]
Quote:

Daisy---do u like living in portland? How do u deal with the rain all year long?
No one has to deal with rain all year long. It just doesn't do that here.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
[quote=ffffffaaaaa1;18588878]
Quote:

Enrico - no one said it rained all year long. It rains a significant amount more than some other cities though.

To answer the question, Portland is a nice city. The people are friendly and there's not too many people. But it has its drawbacks like any other place. And no, it doesnt rain all year long. Its just a longer stretch of gray and rainy weather than I would like. Luckily you are close (like PP said) to places like LA, San Diego, Vegas, Scottsdale and Palm Desert to get your sun fix if you need it

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM

95 posts, read 201,253 times
Hey NatRad-
We are moving from Arizona.....Can't freakin wait!!! We don't have the chance to visit before we move either, but i'm ok with it... i know i'm gonna love it! I KNOW it will be a big change, and thats honestly what i am looking forward to! Have you guys decided on an area?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandtattoos View Post
Hey NatRad-
We are moving from Arizona.....Can't freakin wait!!! We don't have the chance to visit before we move either, but i'm ok with it... i know i'm gonna love it! I KNOW it will be a big change, and thats honestly what i am looking forward to! Have you guys decided on an area?
Just out of curiosity, where are you going to move to if you cannot come out beforehand to find an apartment? I was able to come out to Portland and find a place to rent before I moved but that was back in the 70's when there was not an apartment shortage as there is today.

Apartment seekers find the Portland area's low vacancy rate allows landlords to be selective | OregonLive.com

Are you staying with someone while you are looking? Also you may have better luck in the suburbs finding a place to rent if you do not have a job. An unemployed friend of mine went through this recently. She couldn't find a place in a Portland neighborhood that would take her because she wasn't working. However, one or two large apartment complexes in the burbs were willing to rent to her providing she was able to pay rent for several months in advance. Fortunately, she could do this because she had just sold her house in North Portland and had the cash.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM

95 posts, read 201,253 times
We are actually half way through our application for an apartment in the NW.... just a waiting game from here!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandtattoos View Post
We are actually half way through our application for an apartment in the NW.... just a waiting game from here!
Good luck That's a great area. More than once I have been tempted to move there but I really love where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: