Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

I feel like I know many of you already, as I've been lurking for about a year while we plan our move. We're now 75% finished with our home purchase on Bull Mountain and I thought I'd see if there are any Bull Mountain folks on here these days. Anyone? I've read all the posts I can find on here about that area and I really have to thank everyone on this forum for the healthy dose of PDX info I get every day! Thanks!

I'll be doing my due diligence on college level library jobs when we arrive in June, but any info on that is welcomed. My experience is with cataloging special formats, and music reference. (Hubby has a remote-access job.)

Also very interested in acting, choral or stage singing, and voice-over biz.

Austin is 66 degrees right now, and I see that Portland is 54. Not too bad! I must say that Austin is lovely this time of year, and the bluebonnets are out. Looking forward to a non-skin-melting summer though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
FYI, Bull Mountain isn't an actual city. At least not yet. It has enough population that that may change in the future, or it'll be absorbed by Tigard or Tualatin.

Your nearby colleges are going to be George Fox in Newberg, PCC on the other side of I-5. Reed, Lewis and Clark, Warner Pacific are all on the other side of the river - which means not very commutable from where you're going to be.

There are tons of community theater groups all over the place. Craigslist and Willamette Week (wweek.com ) are the best place to find casting calls. Ditto with Community Choral groups. Paid jobs in either of those are going to be extremely hard to find though, and as for the voice-over side of things, everyone I know who has needed such services in the past has outsourced it to LA, or does a one-time thing with a non-pro.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks for your response, hammellr. I just read the lifestyle statement for all employees on George Fox's site--hadn't realized they are a somewhat strict Quaker school. Anyway, great info and much appreciated.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
I just started a singing class with this teacher:

Classes | Anne Weiss

And hamellr was a little mixed-up on one thing - Lewis & Clark College is on the same side of the river as Bull Mountain. You're also well within commuting distance to Portland State. If George Fox is too straight-laced for you, the next big town past Newberg is McMinnville, home of Linfield College. And Marylhurst is worth a look too.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks, Rob. We drove past Marylhurst the last time we visited and it didn't seem too terribly far. Will check out the others.

Good luck with your singing! I'm more of a classically trained type, but I appreciated all kinds.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I just started a singing class with this teacher:

Classes | Anne Weiss

And hamellr was a little mixed-up on one thing - Lewis & Clark College is on the same side of the river as Bull Mountain. You're also well within commuting distance to Portland State. If George Fox is too straight-laced for you, the next big town past Newberg is McMinnville, home of Linfield College. And Marylhurst is worth a look too.
Thank you for the correction, although it should be noted that it's still on the other side of the West Hills and there isn't really a good direct route between the two sides that doesn't involve highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland