Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times

Advertisements

I just read that Forbes states that Portland is one of the best places to retire. Mainly because of "low crime & climate". Does anyone agree with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I just read that Forbes states that Portland is one of the best places to retire. Mainly because of "low crime & climate". Does anyone agree with this?
No. You have to make that decision yourself.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I would never ever consider retiring in Portland proper or Multnomah County.
I know of several retirees in my neighborhood that had to move because the cost of living in Portland outpaced their fixed budgets.
High taxes and the real estate prices are not attractive to the average retiree.
But I guess if you've got money to burn, it's not an entirely bad place to live.
"Low Crime and Climate" isn't enough.
There are plenty of other places with low crime and decent climates.

The Portland "area" encompasses several counties and two states.
All of which are probably cheaper to live in than Portland and Multnomah County.
I have done research for myself, and when my time comes to retire, I'm going to have to move out of Portland.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I know of several retirees in my neighborhood that had to move because the cost of living in Portland outpaced their fixed budgets.
High taxes and the real estate prices are not attractive to the average retiree.
But I guess if you've got money to burn, it's not an entirely bad place to live.

All of which are probably cheaper to live in than Portland and Multnomah County.
I have done research for myself, and when my time comes to retire, I'm going to have to move out of Portland.
That's what I thought, just wanted to see what others had to say. I've been researching where to relocate to in a year or so. So where do you think you may go? I'm thinking maybe TN, then OR came to mind because I have always liked it there, but don't think that looks like too good of an idea! Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

You also know one more person: me. I have to live in a city for its amenities but on a fixed income and even with a part time job to supplement I can no longer afford to live in Portland.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Certainly. Of course, no place is perfect, and everyone has to decide for themselves what things are most important in choosing where to live.

Because the weather does not reach extremes, that is an attractive thing to retirees. Relative safety is as well.

Smaller towns certainly are more affordable. But with those, you have the problems of reduced services (like medical, transportation, etc.) that we all become more dependent on as we age.

Affordability, too, is a relative thing. What's affordable to you may not be to me, and vice versa. And what was affordable when someone is 40 and bringing in a higher salary may not be affordable when they're 65 and living on a fixed income. They probably need to lower their standard of living, something a lot of people don't seem willing to do.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Wasn't Forbes the same magazine---that just last year, ranked Portland, "the most depressing city in the US?"

Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Certainly. Of course, no place is perfect, and everyone has to decide for themselves what things are most important in choosing where to live.

Because the weather does not reach extremes, that is an attractive thing to retirees. Relative safety is as well.

Smaller towns certainly are more affordable. But with those, you have the problems of reduced services (like medical, transportation, etc.) that we all become more dependent on as we age.

Affordability, too, is a relative thing. What's affordable to you may not be to me, and vice versa. And what was affordable when someone is 40 and bringing in a higher salary may not be affordable when they're 65 and living on a fixed income. They probably need to lower their standard of living, something a lot of people don't seem willing to do.
For some that may be true. But with the COL becoming higher and higher this becomes much more difficult on a fixed income rather than being unwilling to lower their standard of living. Anyone who is thinking of retiring to Portland and can afford it now should think of the future and whether or not their budgets can afford it a few years down the line with the ever-increasing price hikes in just about everything.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM

286 posts, read 521,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
...Because the weather does not reach extremes, that is an attractive thing to retirees...
I have to dispute your claim, for many if not most average Americans, not seeing the sun or walking on dry ground for 9 months of the year is quite extreme.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 PM

80 posts, read 219,090 times
Portland is where young people go to retire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland