Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 16,063 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband just received a job offer in Portland but I'm under contract in my job so I won't be able to move with him until June 2012. Since we have a mortgage we are trying to find a low-cost room for him to rent for 10 months (hoping to spend no more than 500/mo). We've looked on craigslist and in the classifieds but havent really been able to find anything good.

Are there any other places that we can look for a room to rent besides craigslist and the classifieds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
You might try airbnb.com to see if any of their listings would cut you a discount for a long rental.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM

33 posts, read 80,091 times
What exactly are you looking for? There are tons and tons of rooms on Craigslist in all different types of houses, neighborhoods, people, etc. If you can't find something there, it'd help to know why.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 16,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post
What exactly are you looking for? There are tons and tons of rooms on Craigslist in all different types of houses, neighborhoods, people, etc. If you can't find something there, it'd help to know why.
Craigslist does have tons of options, but we are just wondering if there are any other places to look that we are missing. For instance, why aren't there any families who have basement-type rooms for rent? It seems like the only rentals on craigslist are more for roommates - not just simply a room to rent.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJ2006 View Post
Craigslist does have tons of options, but we are just wondering if there are any other places to look that we are missing. For instance, why aren't there any families who have basement-type rooms for rent? It seems like the only rentals on craigslist are more for roommates - not just simply a room to rent.
It has been my experience that when on the rare occasion someone has a basement type room to rent they will rent it to family or friends rather than an unknown person. And many probably do what most landlords do here and that is put out a sign on their lawn.

Renting is a real challenge in Portland. There are not enough vacancies for the people who are looking to rent. At this point, you are probably better off sticking to Craig's List or "The Oregonian" online. I sometimes see a few rooms for rent there.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 80,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJ2006 View Post
I don't know of any other places, but I'd keep checking Craigslist. When I was searching for a place, there were lots of families who wanted to rent a room or a space, and that wasn't what I was looking for. Good luck; I'm sure you'll find something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: