Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times

Advertisements

Yet another cloudy August day with temps expected to struggle to reach 75°, and tomorrow is forecast to barely top 70°. For the last few days the overcast doesn't break until 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to start out drizzly.

I'm just curious if any of the folks that have moved here recently, say within the last several months or so, are starting to question their choice of moving here based on the cool overcast. No judgements--even natives and long-time residents are getting pretty sick of this.

I want to stress that this isn't typical summer weather. At least it's not typical for it to be so cool for such a sustained period of time. We have had a few days in the mid-80s, which is much more typical. And who knows? We may still get that solid week in the upper 90s. There's still plenty of August left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 AM

161 posts, read 411,018 times
Oh man I'm LOVING it. I wish it would be like this every day. Yesterday I did a 12 mile hike up behind Multnomah Falls and this weather is absolutely perfect - 72 and cool the whole way. Having it overcast makes it so much more enjoyable to go out and do things (especially hiking, which I try to do every day). I can't stand the heat, it just sucks all of the energy out of me. I went to the Sunday market this weekend and almost died. I looked through one section and sat under the trees till 3 when it cooled down.

For all I care, then sun could not come out till December and I'd be happy.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM

22 posts, read 34,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
Oh man I'm LOVING it. I wish it would be like this every day. Yesterday I did a 12 mile hike up behind Multnomah Falls and this weather is absolutely perfect - 72 and cool the whole way. Having it overcast makes it so much more enjoyable to go out and do things (especially hiking, which I try to do every day). I can't stand the heat, it just sucks all of the energy out of me. I went to the Sunday market this weekend and almost died. I looked through one section and sat under the trees till 3 when it cooled down.

For all I care, then sun could not come out till December and I'd be happy.
YES! YES! Finally someone who feels exactly the way I do about the heat!!! I'm a "heat hater" too! Cheers to overcast & 70's temps!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Well, get used to it.
I read an article saying that we are at the beginning of a 20 year cooling trend for the PNW.
If I can find it again, I'll link to it.
In the mean time, take a look at NW Crow's recent post:
Pacific Decadal Oscillation

For the record, this is about perfect weather for me.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
I think it's nice! I can wear a fleece in the morning, take it off in the afternoon. I like the clouds. I've seen the mountains now so I know they're there

Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
I'm loving it. You can always put on more clothes, but when you are down to shorts, tee-shirt and bare feet and still sweating like a pig you can't really do anything else.... All I needed was a 4-days back in Austin last week to remind me why I left. It was hotter than Hades, 105+ every day, everything burnt brown and dying, trees dropping all their leaves in a last-ditch effort to survive, all the rivers drying up, ugh! I'm so pleased I don't live there any more....

- Tim

Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
After living w/ humidity for 40 plus years in midwest, no complaints. Now - when it gets to 82, I am hot.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Wow...sounds like I'm the only one here who needs a sun fix!

Hey--I'm not talking about weeks on end above 100. Just a week or two of hot weather to remind us all how much we like the cool! Plus once we hit October and we say goodbye to the sun and warmth until next summer, I'm not sure I'll have had my fill.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Wow...sounds like I'm the only one here who needs a sun fix!

Hey--I'm not talking about weeks on end above 100. Just a week or two of hot weather to remind us all how much we like the cool! Plus once we hit October and we say goodbye to the sun and warmth until next summer, I'm not sure I'll have had my fill.
You're not alone. I'm planning a trip to Mexico in the winter because otherwise I'm gonna lose it! I'm a (relatively young) native and this is the "worst" summer I've ever witnessed.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Far from being worry-inducing, this is in fact the greatest summer in all of my recollection. Never before have I been happier, more comfortable, or more pleased with the summer weather than I have been this year. Truly beautiful, and I will always remember it as one of the most pleasant summers of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland