Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 PM

17 posts, read 50,550 times

Advertisements

I hear Portland skyline is pretty bad is this true? adn what is the tallest building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,893 times
I'm not sure what your definition of a "bad" skyline is - unless you're referring to the skyline in Sacramento of course - lol. I think Portland has one of the most beautiful skylines of any city in the U.S.. Of course its not a densely packed skyline as you would find in New York or Chicago but my interpretation of a beautiful skyline wouldn't include these cities anyway. I believe the tallest building in Portland is the U.S. Bank Tower which is only about 540 feet high. In my opinion. there is more to a beautiful skyline than 80 story buildings all packed together like sardines. In Downtown Portland, you have a view of Mt. Hood as a backdrop, the buildings are nestled within densely green hills with the Columbia River seen passing through the northern end of town. The bridges crossing the river act as a gateway into the city and greets your descent into downtown. At night its even better when all the buildings illuminate and sparkle in the cool night air. Google any image of Portland and you'll see for yourself. I think its breathtaking.

Last edited by cityx; 08-24-2007 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 09:16 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Though not tall, Portland's skyline is in no way "bad". Portland is simply the kind of city that can get away with not having tall skyscrapers, because it's identity is not wrapped up in that kind of stuff. Portland is more about the environment and natural scenic beauty.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:23 PM

23 posts, read 157,885 times
The skyline has begun to sprawl. The new buildings at the south waterfront are and will be amongst the top 5 tallest in town. The buildings at lloyd center are also pretty tall, yet they're not on the same side of the river. I find portland's skyline pretty interesting lately. Plus, what other city has an arial tram as part of its skyline?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I'm not sure what your definition of a "bad" skyline is - unless you're referring to the skyline in Sacramento of course - lol. I think Portland has one of the most beautiful skylines of any city in the U.S.. Of course its not a densely packed skyline as you would find in New York or Chicago but my interpretation of a beautiful skyline wouldn't include these cities anyway. I believe the tallest building in Portland is the U.S. Bank Tower which is only about 540 feet high. In my opinion. there is more to a beautiful skyline than 80 story buildings all packed together like sardines. In Downtown Portland, you have a view of Mt. Hood as a backdrop, the buildings are nestled within densely green hills with the Columbia River seen passing through the northern end of town. The bridges crossing the river act as a gateway into the city and greets your descent into downtown. At night its even better when all the buildings illuminate and sparkle in the cool night air. Google any image of Portland and you'll see for yourself. I think its breathtaking.
I agree, Portland is a city known for outdoors and beautiful scenery. I find the scenery to be gorgeous. I'm a big city person so I love Chicago and NY skylines as well but they're different.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:53 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I really do not believe that anyone moves to Portland for its skyline.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I really do not believe that anyone moves to Portland for its skyline.
Happy Sunday I'm sipping on a Passion Fruit/Jasmine iced tea
It's beautiful in Cali today (like every day)

Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Well, it's hot and muggy in good old New York. I was just reading a mystery novel by Philip Margolin who writes all about Portland & he mentioned the mist and the rain. Can't wait ......

Old 08-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Well, it's hot and muggy in good old New York. I was just reading a mystery novel by Philip Margolin who writes all about Portland & he mentioned the mist and the rain. Can't wait ......
Mystery novel and no rain to go with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: