Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagess View Post
Hi all ...
today ... I have passed the test on first try and I am happy about that ...
Congratulations! As an instructor there was no better satisfaction than hearing the words "I passed!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM

57 posts, read 263,950 times
Thanks !!!
I just wanted to share my experience here.
There are few manuevers/restrictions that one should really get used to with

1. stop signs
2. changing to / merging into lanes : proper blinking
3. school zones (20mph) : very important
4. steady driving
5. smooth braking
6. backing along the curb

All I tried to do is to forget about the presence of an examiner and try to drive naturally. The test lasted for 5 mins vehicle inspection + 20 mins driving (passed a school zone twice).

Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,833 times
My driving test took about 25 minutes. However, I took my test in Gresham. I recommend the Gresham DMV if anyone needs to take a driving test because the testers are more laid back (as in, you don't feel shamed if you fail, not as in they don't take points off for mistakes) and the roads are straightforward.

Congrats on passing your test!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 PM

57 posts, read 263,950 times
I think, one should drive around the neighbourhood of the DMV and try to find out the STOP signs and the school zones. These are two signs ppl tend to miss the most. Also the speed signs are important. 25kmph zones are straight forward, but the main streets are more tricky as its difficult to guess if they are 35 or 45 zones.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks !!!
I just wanted to share my experience here.
There are few manuevers/restrictions that one should really get used to with

1. stop signs
2. changing to / merging into lanes : proper blinking
3. school zones (20mph) : very important
4. steady driving
5. smooth braking
6. backing along the curb

All I tried to do is to forget about the presence of an examiner and try to drive naturally. The test lasted for 5 mins vehicle inspection + 20 mins driving (passed a school zone twice).
Good job on the last part, that does help when taking a test.

1. Come to a complete stop at the limit line, count 2 seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand), look left, right, then you can go.

2. It's all about SMOG. Do this correctly and the examiner can never ding you for points:

Signal
Mirrors (rear, then side)
Over-the-shoulder
Go

On merge lanes, as soon as you see the merging sign turn the signal on.

3. I guess it's different in OR, here in CA it's 25. This can vary from place-to-place though.

4. Having directional control is important. A lane violation isn't good whether an examiner is there or not (you could hit someone). If you're moving in a straight line, keep your hands @ 2 and 10 o'clock on the wheel (or if you prefer 3 and 9) and hold rock steady.

5. This just takes a bit of practice. My best recommendation would be to rest your heel on the floor of the car, and pivot on it to switch from brake to gas pedal. This allows for a smooth transition, therefore smoother braking.

6. When pulling over to the curb, get as close as you can (within 18 inches of the curb). This is the legal limit in CA, could be different in OR. Try doing this on the first try, that way you're all set to do the reverse-straight. When you're in position, put your left hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel, and your right hand on the back of the passenger seat. This will help you stabilize your body. Turn your head so you're looking straight out of the rear window. Holding your left hand rock steady, gradually let go of the brake and go in a straight line.

Use the brake to control the speed of the vehicle. Try to go very slowly. On the first couple of tries, you'll find the rear right of your vehicle will get close to the curb often. As you get better you can identify this mistake and correct it. Using the right side mirror also helps judge distance from the curb.

You may have to jump out of your vehicle several times to see how far away you are from the curb, but that's ok. If you have a buddy, have them open up the passenger side door and ask him to see how far away you are from the curb.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I think, one should drive around the neighbourhood of the DMV and try to find out the STOP signs and the school zones. These are two signs ppl tend to miss the most. Also the speed signs are important. 25kmph zones are straight forward, but the main streets are more tricky as its difficult to guess if they are 35 or 45 zones.
Generally neighborhoods have a 25 mph speed limit. When you start getting into city streets, keep an eye out for speed limit signs. Constantly keep your eyes moving for all street signs, this will be your first clue on what the limit is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland