Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM

82 posts, read 146,252 times

Advertisements

Are you planning to buy a home? If you buy a house in a neighbourhood with a Home Owner's Association be sure to check the rules regarding clotheslines. We used to live with an HOA that specifically did NOT allow clotheslines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabcan View Post
Are you planning to buy a home? If you buy a house in a neighbourhood with a Home Owner's Association be sure to check the rules regarding clotheslines. We used to live with an HOA that specifically did NOT allow clotheslines.
we're not buying for a while but yeah i'm aware of that issue. it's kinda funny because out here the clotheslines can dry clothes just as fast as a dryer, and soooo many neighborhoods are HOA and can't use them. i'm not an HOA kind of person.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
"Back in the day" a home with central heating burned sawdust. The heated air was distributed through ducts that looked like an octopus. The drill was sawdust was blown into a room in the basement, then the sawdust was shoveled into a hopper attached to the furnace as needed. The sawdust room was a lot of fun for us kids, we could slide down the stack. As we got older shoveling sawdust was work and sometimes the sawdust delivered had fleas. When oil burners became available almost everyone converted to oil and the sawdust room converted to storage.

[When I was a kid we had "Ice Men" who delivered blocks of ice for the refrigerator. And, no, I am not older than dirt.]

Our basement was never damp or humid. That may be because my Father worked for the Corp of Engineers and was absolutely anal about moisture. I remember him digging along an outside wall of the basement, installing a French drain and sealing the outside wall. If your basement is damp you need to address that because dust & dampness grows mold, a de-humidifier is an option but it doesn't really address the root cause. However, this isn't central Oregon where humidifiers are often installed.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
The availability of sawdust for burners, is not what it once was either and a lot more expensive than it used to be.

Back then they used to have wigwam burners (the shape) that they pumped the sawdust and scraps into and burned it away. No longer legal to use, and now the big profit from a mill is often what they used to burn. It is used in making particle boards, and compressed fireplace logs, etc. It is no longer wast material they often gave away just to get someone to haul it away.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
so be expecting some reallllllly dumb questions
There's no such thing.

Last edited by ramedud; 01-08-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
oldtrader is spot on. Sawdust is now a valuable byproduct, not a waste product.

The basement of my parent's home was never damp but I think that the burning of sawdust produces moisture. Go figure.

My parents converted to eliminate storing the sawdust and loading the hopper. Oil was a lot more convenient.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
I can't imagine it being worth it for any time except July-Sept. We have clothes racks, but wouldn't even think about using them this time of year. Our towels don't even dry on the racks from one day's shower to the next. Your drying will also take a VERY long time getting thicker things dry. Just the price you pay for the humidity.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I can't imagine it being worth it for any time except July-Sept. We have clothes racks, but wouldn't even think about using them this time of year. Our towels don't even dry on the racks from one day's shower to the next. Your drying will also take a VERY long time getting thicker things dry. Just the price you pay for the humidity.
I'll say! I tried to save a little $$ by hanging some underwear, socks and sweats on clothes racks in my apartment and it took about three days for most to completely dry. And these are not thick things.

I had them hanging in the bathroom but fianlly moved the rack into the living room by the heater and it still took some of the socks another half day to dry. The dampness in the winter is pretty heavy.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Look around online and you'll find all kinds of drying racks that you can set up indoors. That's what we do. Also, a shower curtain rod (or two) placed over bathtubs works well for things you can hang to dry. For things that lay flat to dry there are folding drying racks. Down to Earth has some, but you can also find them at Big Box stores and online.

We don't hang our clothes outdoors to dry anymore in summer because we live near a river and we noticed our clothes kind of smelling like it. Eeww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland