Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
essentially the urban growth boundaries are the limits of the city/ metropolitan area for building housing and other types of development like stores etc. it's the boundary between the farmland/city. The way they currently have it determined, it doesn't actually stop urban sprawl or stop the city from eating the farms. it only causes that to be slowed down. after a few years, there will always be expensive processes and governmental hearings etc and then the big developers get to come in and develop huge parcels into housing and etc.
so really, Oregon has become tightened up for individuals who only want to build one house on their own land for themselves, but these developers get to exploit their cronies' laws and rape (or is it reap?) the huge profits while destroying much needed farmland. And very little , slow, incremental, individual development ever occurs in any sort of natural or healthy way for say, people who own farms 20 miles out from town. They often aren't allowed to build a home for themselves or a second one for their kids 20 years later on their same shared yard space on a small corner of their acreage. That would be a good and economical way of providing and living but it is not allowed because of strict zoning laws. Seems this would be a serious impedance for the locals that actually live here and want to thrive, prosper, and grow a healthy family on their own land.
well that's only a tiny pinch of my opinion about it but, i have been observing this from an insider viewpoint for decades, as my mom was heavily involved (favoring tight restrictions) back when it all started and now i see the results....
I lived in Tigard for awhile back in the 80's. Where there were once horses grazing on land just outside of the main shopping area and cows a bit further beyond, there are now strip malls and apartment complexes. Just like most other places, these have taken over. So I see what you mean by the developers being able to come in and take over these lands.

It also happens to some extent in Portland itself where developers are alllowed to build small apartment complexes in any available space they can find causing crowding in the neighborhoods where there once was green space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
I don't think the economy in Portland is much worse than Seattle but:

1) It's smaller

2) there are fewer people, therefore less jobs available on the market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland