Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MILBID View Post
WOW chocobot18 showed us links allwe got from you is snarkiness and condescension and we just have to take your word wit no prroof? .....you remember that in JAN there was almost a daily gang violence happening?..all kinds of shootings.WHat's up with that...your a pretty mean poster from what I read on all your posts..
So it's okay for you to call me names? You're a pretty mean poster from the way it looks to me.

Look, to start with, no one can prove a negative. Like I can point you to the daily news articles which says, "Today, no gang violence happened?"

But no, I do not remember that there was "almost a daily gang violence happening." Here is what was listed on a website which tracks gang-related reports in the news. The incidents listed in Portland were:

January 8 -- five shooting incidents around town (2 outer SE, 1 St. Johns, 1 North Portland, 1 SE). Shots were fired, or were suspected to have been fired, but nobody was injured. Gang officers were investigating. An arrest was made on the 10th in connection with one of the above shooting incidents. They believe he is a gang associate.

January 16 -- Man wounded in a shooting that may be gang-related, outside a nightclub.

January 29 --- 5 known gang members were arrested in a vehicle speeding away from a shots fired (no one injured) call in the wee hours at SE Grand & Belmont outside a dance club.

Is that enough proof for you that there were not "daily" occurrences? That's not even a weekly occurrence. And, frankly, only the last one really clearly states that it was actually gang-related. Related in that they were gang members. The others, it was only suspected. And there was only one injury in all the incidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM

43 posts, read 106,451 times
do me a favor &Go tell that to the all thepeeps in Portland who are havng their lives shot&ruined up by gangs..I sure they will give you a kiss and make you som cookies for telling them it not bad& there arnot gangs here...It will make them feel lots better.Do you even live in Portland and if you do do you ever get outof your home into the real" world/??

Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MILBID View Post
Go tell that to the all thepeeps in Portland who are havng their lives shot&ruined up by gangs..I sure they will give you a kiss and make you som cookies for telling them it not bad& there arnot gangs here...It will make them feel lots better.Do you even live in Portland?
You betcha. All my long life.

No one, including me, said that there are no gangs. No one said that there's not a problem. All I said is that to have claim that the city is "riddled" with gang violence. I simply is not.

Why didn't you address the "daily" occurrences? Did you find the facts a little hard to explain away?

To respond to your edit ... yes, I get out in the real world. I live and work in inner SE. Is that real enough?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM

170 posts, read 193,971 times
Exclamation good luck on your move; i think you should do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
My very strong impression is that many, many Oregonians don't want you in thier midst ? It's not necessarily personal, they just aren't a welcoming populace when it comes to outsiders, as they seem to be very clannish, very exlusive, even elitist.
wes, me thinks anywhere would be better than arkansas, but that's just me. when i think of arkansas i think hot and humid in summer, ok in winter, but these times with wild weather who knows.

re jimbaker; i do agree with him. i moved to PDX from montana in 71; i then moved to san francisco (the best place in the world imo) in 80 and came back to PDX in 02 as my husband was looking out for me re retiring and i did have a couple of friends up here. HUGE mistake! PDX is a racist (i say that from experience, husband is black, i'm white), sure there are little pockets of uber hip folks who are very tolerant, but for the most part very clannish, very exlusive, even elitist is a good description. from my experience, which is the legal community, i found when starting a new job or coming on board as a temp, folks would make sure they didn't give you the full story about how to do your job and would laugh when an error occurred because you didn't know you should do it that way, but i don't want to bore you with details

if you have experience in IT, i think that would be a tremendous boost for you and i would apply at law firms as they are always looking for help desk types and are always trying to keep up in the tech world. just be sure that any job you get that you don't do it too well (even if you do it better than your peers), because your super will definitely make sure you're out the door. don't be too eager either.

if i could afford it i would move back to cali in a nano second, but hubs and i have had some serious health issues over the last few years and our savings is gone. good luck to you and i encourage your move out here, it's a beautiful place visually and if your an outdoor person at all, you will be in heaven!

remember wes, there is a motto here: "keep portland weird." everyone is doing their civic duty to do just that. good luck!

Last edited by thequeen1; 02-06-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 AM

170 posts, read 193,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So it's okay for you to call me names? You're a pretty mean poster from the way it looks to me.

Look, to start with, no one can prove a negative. Like I can point you to the daily news articles which says, "Today, no gang violence happened?"

But no, I do not remember that there was "almost a daily gang violence happening." Here is what was listed on a website which tracks gang-related reports in the news. The incidents listed in Portland were:

January 8 -- five shooting incidents around town (2 outer SE, 1 St. Johns, 1 North Portland, 1 SE). Shots were fired, or were suspected to have been fired, but nobody was injured. Gang officers were investigating. An arrest was made on the 10th in connection with one of the above shooting incidents. They believe he is a gang associate.

January 16 -- Man wounded in a shooting that may be gang-related, outside a nightclub.

January 29 --- 5 known gang members were arrested in a vehicle speeding away from a shots fired (no one injured) call in the wee hours at SE Grand & Belmont outside a dance club.

Is that enough proof for you that there were not "daily" occurrences? That's not even a weekly occurrence. And, frankly, only the last one really clearly states that it was actually gang-related. Related in that they were gang members. The others, it was only suspected. And there was only one injury in all the incidents.
you are absolutely correct! however, my husband heard (on pretty good authority) that those dailey skirmishes around town were directly related to the shooting of that 15 yo girl by her 16 yo boyfriend. someone in her family wanted the name of the person that helped the BF dump her body. as you could see by looking at him and the alleged place where she was shot and then moved, there's no way he acted alone. the family member threatened a shooting per day until they got an answer.

to WES, come to oregon baby you'll do good.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 19,377 times
If you really want to work.....there are jobs. Just be prepared for the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland