Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Toro Bravo is pretty darn tasty...and with the tapas style dishes you can get a good variety of the menu for the cost. As is the spin off up the street Tasty 'n Sons is good as well.

I love the Italian food at Piazza Italia, it's run by an Italian family originally from Rome. It's nothing fancy, it's like what you'd get at a little trattoria in Italy. The osso buco I've had there is excellent and they always have interesting Italian wines to try.

Ordering omakase-style(chef's choice) at Tanuki(they just moved over to Montavilla)-eating whatever kinds of Japanese-Korean bar food they cook up while drinking some good sake or Japanese whiskey. Though the best Japanese in the Portland area for ramen or other non-sushi is Yuzu in Beaverton.

Oh yeah, the pizza at Ken's... My girlfriend and I dig it. When we went to Naples, Italy last summer and tried pizza, she kept on saying "Yeah, it's almost as good as Ken's."

Andina is awesome but it's muy expensive... The ceviche choices there are worth checking out for that reason alone.

Broder is always good, but also very expensive. But it's got one of my favorite menus in Portland with an always interesting mix of Central European foods/drinks.

And they aren't high-end, but my favorite gyros are at the Aybala Grill food cart downtown and the best tacos in Portland(well basically Beaverton) are at Ochoas Lupitas across from Jesuit High School on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Where are some good, casual, SE side (we're in the HV/Damascus area) to eat for a family with tweeners? Nothing too expensive, no giant chains, and primarily seafood places are out. Sick and tired of doing the Applebee's, Chipotle, Denny's, and Olive Garden thing - need to find some good, local places. We've hit a few places (or ruled them out)*, but so far nothing has really gotten us terribly excited.

*McCool's, Tollgate Inn, Gustav's, Carver Hanger, Calamity Jane's, and some of the smaller chains (Elmer's, Burgerville, Chevy's, McMenamin's, Shari's, Claim Jumper).

Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Where are some good, casual, SE side (we're in the HV/Damascus area) to eat for a family with tweeners? Nothing too expensive, no giant chains, and primarily seafood places are out. Sick and tired of doing the Applebee's, Chipotle, Denny's, and Olive Garden thing - need to find some good, local places. We've hit a few places (or ruled them out)*, but so far nothing has really gotten us terribly excited.

*McCool's, Tollgate Inn, Gustav's, Carver Hanger, Calamity Jane's, and some of the smaller chains (Elmer's, Burgerville, Chevy's, McMenamin's, Shari's, Claim Jumper).
That's kind of a foodie wasteland out that way.

Check out Truffle Hunter, Sunny Hans, M&M, Wall Street Pizza, and 4th Street Brewing all in downtown Gresham.

In Clackamas I can recommend Fuji and Dean's Cafe.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
How about the Tick Tock Diner?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
There are a few good spots in Sellwood and Woodstock.
Check out Delta Cafe, we really like that place for "southern" style food.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

230 posts, read 407,333 times
I just love Der Rheinlander.

Love the Hasenpfeffer {Braised Rabbit}
Rheinlander original recipe ~ rabbit hindquarters marinated, slowly braised and served with pearl onions, mushrooms and sautéed spätzle noodles

yummm!!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM

286 posts, read 521,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Dude, I adore a great hot dog now and then and I will absolutely stand by the assertion that a visit to Tillamook Cheese (both for the tour and for their cafeteria) is a must for anyone even visiting let alone living in the state of Oregon...

...but Ruths Chris? Seriously? They're like Morton's, just another one of those yuppie chain things you can find in every major city in the country. They're just the expensive version of Applebee's. There's definitely no reason to ever go there in Portland. They build these things so traveling businessmen will know where to schmooze each other without walking too far from the hotel.

Now if someone says "The Melting Pot is a magical place for an anniversary dinner," I think I'm going to cry.
One of the best things about downtown is the lack of chain restaurants, but Ruth’s Chris has one of the very best happy hour steak sandwiches I’ve ever had.

And for only $6, I’ll happily ignore the yuppie traveling businessmen.

But I agree, a big thumbs down on The Melting Pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland