Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

I am considering a transfer to Portland but I want to know what is the true Portland.

Is it the Seattle "lite" as some people describe it?

Is it a good place to raise a family?

How are the schools compared to say, Minnesota or Maryland?

Are there a lot of family activities or opportunities for youth sports?

Is it the the coffee and beer swilling city city full of Birkenstock-wearing, pretentious, judgmental, liberal/progressive, passive/aggressive, phony, NIMBY do-gooders as I have heard some describe the denizens of Portland?

Surely, there is more to the city than "hippies and hipsters", "beer and coffee", "crunchies", "greenies" and every other bumper sticker label that has been ascribed to Portland.

I would like to hear an honest critique of the city (good and bad) from those who have no ax to grind and no agenda to forward. Please share what you know from personal experience of everyday life and not what you have heard second and third hand.

I just want an honest, balanced assessment of what I can expect if I choose to transfer to Portland so I can make an informed decision. My decision will not only affect me but my four children (13 year old girl, 11 year old boy, 9 year old boy and a 4 year old girl) as well.

If you are willing to share, then I am willing to listen.

To those who respond, I thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Is it the Seattle "lite" as some people describe it?
It's a relaxed pace, that's for sure.

Quote:
Is it a good place to raise a family?
It's a great place. Lots to see and do.

Quote:
How are the schools compared to say, Minnesota or Maryland?
I know someone who teaches in Minnesota and their public education system is eons ahead of the rest of the country. In this era of education spending cuts in Oregon it would be unfair to make comparisons. Can't say much about Maryland, never been there.

Quote:
Are there a lot of family activities or opportunities for youth sports?
Tons.

Quote:
Is it the the coffee and beer swilling city city full of Birkenstock-wearing, pretentious, judgmental, liberal/progressive, passive/aggressive, phony, NIMBY do-gooders as I have heard some describe the denizens of Portland?
Hold the "coffee and beer swilling city city full of Birkenstock-wearing" part, and you just described San Franciscans to the T. Portlanders are much better than this.

Quote:
Surely, there is more to the city than "hippies and hipsters", "beer and coffee", "crunchies", "greenies" and every other bumper sticker label that has been ascribed to Portland.
Those describes bumper stickers, not Portland.

Quote:
I would like to hear an honest critique of the city (good and bad) from those who have no ax to grind and no agenda to forward. Please share what you know from personal experience of everyday life and not what you have heard second and third hand.
You can find a ton of these in this forum. It's fair to say every active participant in the Portland forum has already done this 2~3 times.

Quote:
To those who respond, I thank you.
You're welcome.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
I have met a number of Alaskans over the years that have migrated down to Portland and have seemed to enjoy it here. Really it is what you make it, Portland is a great city to enjoy things that make you happy. Obviously we tend to be very liberal, environmentally conscience, and nature loving. More than likely what you are looking for, you can find here.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Oregon's biggest import is Alaskans.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM

In the intereest of full disclosure, I arrived in Alaska 9+ years because this is where the job sent me. I am originally from Philly (born and bred) via Baltimore (6+ years).

Just for the record.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Oregonians frequently take a ferry ride for their Alaskan cruse.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 17,444 times
Portland is an island of liberalism in a conservative state (this is coming from a liberal).

Just watch Portlandia and you will see they are making fun of the real character of the town.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Portland, but what made it special is quickly disappearing and the city is changing.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
My decision will not only affect me but my four children (13 year old girl, 11 year old boy, 9 year old boy and a 4 year old girl) as well.
...then your answer will depend a great deal on what industry you're and/or where you expect your income to be coming from. The schools here probably aren't vastly different from many other similarly sized cities across the U.S. but the employment situation most definitely is (depending, specifically, on your profession).

Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
...then your answer will depend a great deal on what industry you're and/or where you expect your income to be coming from. The schools here probably aren't vastly different from many other similarly sized cities across the U.S. but the employment situation most definitely is (depending, specifically, on your profession).
I would be transferring within my organization so that's not an issue.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkk4now View Post
Portland is an island of liberalism in a conservative state (this is coming from a liberal).

Just watch Portlandia and you will see they are making fun of the real character of the town.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Portland, but what made it special is quickly disappearing and the city is changing.
Please elaborate. In what way is the city changing and is the change for the better or for the worst?

By the way, I discovered "Portlandia" about two or three weeks ago and I love the show!! It has to be one of the funniest and entertaining shows on television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: