Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,189 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Portland soon and would like to live mid-way between our kids homes (Mississippi area) and our job (Troutdale.)

Can you recommend any nice residential areas with a walkable shopping / cafe-type feel??

Any insights you can provide are sincerely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM

541 posts, read 1,731,056 times
Downtown Fairview and the neighborhoods around it are pretty walk-able. There are cafes and shops in some of the "downtown" buildings.

McMenamin's in Troutdale is very walkable. A large area of historic buildings and fun quirky shops and places to eat. Worth a walk and visit, just for fun. Many neighborhoods around Troutdale easy to walk about.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
How often do you plan on visiting your kids? If it's only on weekends, I'd look for something close to work so your 5 days out of the week are easier and you only have to deal with the longer drive 1 - 2 days/week.

That said, although you may find a block or two of walkability in Troutdale or Fairview or Wood Village, it won't be very much. Maybe the area around MHCC?

Depending on how important daily walkability is for you, you may have to choose somewhere in Portland.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
The problem with your situation is, the area between Troutdale and Mississippi Ave. isn't really the greatest, and isn't the most walkable. I'd say that somewhere like Hollywood is the furthest toward Troutdale that you'll find decent "walkability." Downside of living there would be the longer commute. But the upside is, you're pretty much going against rush hour traffic.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,189 times
Thank you!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The problem with your situation is, the area between Troutdale and Mississippi Ave. isn't really the greatest, and isn't the most walkable. I'd say that somewhere like Hollywood is the furthest toward Troutdale that you'll find decent "walkability." Downside of living there would be the longer commute. But the upside is, you're pretty much going against rush hour traffic.
Yeah I'd say that Hollywood or NE Fremont before it gets to Sandy or parts of that area are really the furthest eastern neighborhoods that I'd consider walk able in that part of NE. There's also Montavilla on the east side of Mt Tabor which isn't that far from I-84 and is walk able.

I've never done much there, but is living close to downtown Troutdale considered walk able? They have a nice little downtown, but I've never really done much besides drive through it on the way back from the Gorge or Sandy River.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've never done much there, but is living close to downtown Troutdale considered walk able? They have a nice little downtown, but I've never really done much besides drive through it on the way back from the Gorge or Sandy River.
Troutdale has a fabulous little downtown area. Problem there as it looks to me (again, not a lot of experience) is that the housing seems to be up on top of the long, long hill. Not near the downtown area. Probably some housing there, but slim pickings.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Troutdale has a fabulous little downtown area. Problem there as it looks to me (again, not a lot of experience) is that the housing seems to be up on top of the long, long hill. Not near the downtown area. Probably some housing there, but slim pickings.
There is a small neighborhood down closer to the Sandy River. But the road from there to downtown Troutdale is not walkable either. And in the Summer that is the gateway to the Old Columbia River Highway, so it'll be positively lousy with bikes and cars going that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland