Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM

90 posts, read 141,508 times

Advertisements

Lake Forest / West Lake side of Oswego.

Applying for a rental on this side. Right off Carman Dr and the I-5

We already applied for a house in the Highland area of Beaverton and are waiting on that.

I know commute times from the Oswego house would be worse since Id be having to take the 5 to 217 to Beaverton or the 5 all the way up into Portland

for now since im working from home it wont be bad, but when i eventually do find something local it might be a pain in the ***

the place in Oswego has a huge front and back yard and the Highland only has front yard and a covered deck as a back yard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,906 times
I live here and LOVE Lake Oswego. Wonderful school district, safe, wonderful and walkable downtown area. Commuting downtown on I-5 isnt horrible and there are several backroads to get you into downtown anyway.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM

I think we are going to withdraw our app on the highland park beaverton house and cross our fingers on this oswego place

Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM

The house we applied for butts up on the I-5 right off Carman Dr so its on the opposite side of First Addition

Does this detract much from living in Oswego? I guess a plus is that its a quick little hop to get on the I-5

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post
The house we applied for butts up on the I-5 right off Carman Dr so its on the opposite side of First Addition

Does this detract much from living in Oswego? I guess a plus is that its a quick little hop to get on the I-5
Even though that's technically Lake Oswego area, not a lot of people consider it to be part of Lake Oswego. Being right off of I-5 right there, you have a lot more in common with Tualatin then Lake Oswego.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post

No not at all. My in laws live right there and its as much LO as downtown. You and your children would love it here.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,739 times
Even though West Lake is farther away from Beaverton, your commute time may actually be shorter compared to Highland Park depending on where in Beaverton. Lake O has its own dedicated lane to get onto 217 northbound from Kruse Way which is nice. Highland Park is all congested side streets nearby (Murray, Allen, etc.).

One other thing to be aware of with the apartment is that you may find a ton of people living there solely because that's the only way they can afford to get their kids into Lake Oswego schools (housing is expensive and it's the highest rated district in the area). Which could be a good thing or a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Even though West Lake is farther away from Beaverton, your commute time may actually be shorter compared to Highland Park depending on where in Beaverton. Lake O has its own dedicated lane to get onto 217 northbound from Kruse Way which is nice. Highland Park is all congested side streets nearby (Murray, Allen, etc.).

One other thing to be aware of with the apartment is that you may find a ton of people living there solely because that's the only way they can afford to get their kids into Lake Oswego schools (housing is expensive and it's the highest rated district in the area). Which could be a good thing or a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Thats good to know about the commute!

It's actually a house we applied for though.. so we don't have to deal with congested apartment complex

Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM

192 posts, read 454,764 times
We rented an apartment in that area for a few months when we first moved here. Aside from the traffic noise from Kruse Way, it's a fairly quiet area with quite a few kids. Great Little coffeeshop in the tiny shopping center on Westlake. Farm stand with fresh fruits and veggies by the roundabout on Carman Dr. Trader Joes nearby and easy access to shopping on Boone's Ferry Rd. Kids will have to bus or drive to school.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM

192 posts, read 454,764 times
I just noticed you're moving from Phoenix, like we did; this area would give you some of the shopping convenience you are used to but is still going to seem very different. I think you're moving with kids? The primary schools here do not lock themselves up; you can take the kids to play at the playgrounds if you get tired of the many parks. Between LO and West Linn there are a couple dozen (at least!) little parks to explore. Some of them have water play areas. Check out the Parks & Rec areas of both cities' websites. If I recall LO Parks & Rec held classes at the West End Building in Westlake. It will be fun for the kids to trick-or-treat and drive around to see Christmas Lights in the area. Heck, just taking a walk and collecting leaves can be fun; wait until they see the giant maples! Both cities have summertime events in the parks like concerts and movies (and it's not too hot to enjoy them!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland