Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,187 times

Advertisements

My family is really new to the area and we have are accumulating quite a large amount of soda cans. We're from Texas and didn't recycle but would like to try to get some of our money back with these cans up here. Where should we go to do this in Hillsboro and how do we do so? The few places we've driven by or stopped by didn't have any instructions or any clear idea of what we're supposed to do, lol.

Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
You take them to the grocery store. Most the big grocery stores have automated sorter/counters. Some of them can limit you to 144 cans per a visit, but the the big stores rarely do that.

Connivence stores will enforce the 144 can limit, mostly because they don't have room to hold them.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
You can recycle national brands, like Pepsico or Coca-Cola products anywhere. Store brands you have to take back to the store where you bought them. Large stores like Fred Meyer will have automated machines. You just feed them into a hole in this huge box and it will scan the barcode. If the can is dented, the bar code reader won't work and you have to take it to the cashier. If the bottle and can return area is not obvious, ask a store clerk where it is. I was recently in a grocery store where you had to go through a separate door inside the store to reach it.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 AM

682 posts, read 2,424,045 times
Fred Meyer has an outdoor sorter in the parking lot of the Imbrie Drive store (Imbrie/Evergreen/Cornelius Pass), but you can take them to any grocery store as previously stated.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,643 times
While we're on the subject, what are people's opinions about the current deposit recycling system?

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. I know some of the history, and while I applaud the area for being one of the first to begin a deposit system to get people recycling, it seems VERY antiquated now. Hasn't it been 5 cents for decades? I just can't believe that people in Portland (one of most recycling conscious cities in the country) wouldn't recycle their bottles and cans without the deposit. We don't really go through can and bottles fast at all (maybe 10-15 every month or two max) and it's just not worth it to have to go through all the hassles of feeding the machine to get back 50 cents.

And I've lived in other states with deposit, but their systems just seem to be set up more productively (NY for example, where you just bring in a bag of cans to the store, they put them on a scale and give you the money (takes all of 30 secs)).

Does anyone else feel like it's time to rethink or retire the bottle/can deposit system here?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Oregon wasn't one of the first ... the first.

I don't have any problem with the system, personally.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Yeah, the deposit needs to be increased, but the cans and bottles add up. I don't recycle them myself, I donate them to kids groups, like the local band for fund raisers or the 4-H. In the meanwhile I store them in 35 gallon trash cans with plastic bag liners. When the cans are full I can just pull the full bags out and find a charity that needs them.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 22,294 times
safeway,albertsons,fred myers just to name a few... also they only give so much per ticket if i remember correctly, but it doesn't mean you cant go back in with another one lol. after you dispose of the cans.bottles

Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Hasn't it been 5 cents for decades? I just can't believe that people in Portland (one of most recycling conscious cities in the country) wouldn't recycle their bottles and cans without the deposit. We don't really go through can and bottles fast at all (maybe 10-15 every month or two max) and it's just not worth it to have to go through all the hassles of feeding the machine to get back 50 cents.
When they added plastic water bottles to the list of recycled bottles a couple of years ago, there was also talk of upping the deposit to ten cents at the time. That was seen as sort of high though, as it added a lot to the price of full cases.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,643 times
I would say that would have been a win/win. Potentially increase recycling AND deter a few more people from buying bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland