Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM

219 posts, read 624,118 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have a feeling I know what you're going to say, but I have to inquire anyway. I am an aspiring photographer and desperately want to find a job doing something that I love. I specialize in landscape and nature photography but am willing to study/learn/try my hand at any subject in the field of photography if it means a good job. Anywhere I go it's going to be hard to find but the funny thing is when I look at job listings here in Des Moines, even though the economy is better here, there are still a considerable amount more jobs in Portland. (Not sure what my chances would be of even getting an interview, but it is still an interesting point.) Would it help me if I had more schooling? I have a diploma and am thinking about going on for my Bachelor's but only if it would truly secure me in a job. I got the diploma mainly because I wanted it and wanted to take the classes not because I thought it'd magically bring me an amazing job offer right away. So yeah, back to my original point, what are my chances of finding what I want in Portland? I have heard that you have a lot of craft markets and such. Would I be able to sell anything at one of those as a part-time gig? Just a thought. I've heard several people mention throughout different posts that connections and networking make all the difference in the world, especially when it comes to finding good jobs and apartments. I don't know the first thing about networking! And when I move out there I'm going to know NO ONE. What would you suggest I do as far as this networking thing goes? I would appreciate any words of wisdom. I'm 100% dedicated to this dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,610 times
in my personal experience, photography goes really well with a part time regular job. i think it is extremely difficult to pay the bills with photography alone unless you do weddings or commecial/product work. also (in my experience) education and oftentimes even artistic ability doesn't matter as much as business-sense, if you are working for yourself. so many markets are saturated with photographers of all levels and types.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 PM

358 posts, read 471,029 times
When it comes right down to it "networking" is about relationships and how you relate to others on a day to day basis. Take the pressure off yourself by "networking." From the sounds of things in your other post you're good with people and enjoy interacting, that's all you need to know. Be yourself, be genuine and honest, and cultivate good relationships with others because it's a joy to do so not for any of the fringe benefits that may come of the connection. Relationships take time and you'll be moving to a brand new city with a clean slate. Enjoy the process, things will come of themselves naturally in time and you'll appreciate the new life you've created for yourself. I look at it like planting a garden. Plant the things you wish to create and tend to them patiently and with care. Have fun watching them take root and grow

Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
A friend's sister has been a professional photographer in Portland for about thirty years. She is pretty much self taught beginning as an apprentice at an photographer's studio. She used to work exclusively for Fred Meyer's now Krogers photographing clothes and food for catalogues and billboards. Now she pretty much only does shoots for Ralph Lauren's childrens' wear.

The hours are long.The pay is just so-so. She would love to photograph nature and sell her stuff to magazines and the like but she knows she couldn't survive on that in Portland. However, if she had that background and were younger, she says she would do the nature stuff as a side line and maybe enter a few shows. But that would be as more or less a hobby rather than a means to make a living.

Every year the competition gets heavier and heavier. She loves what she does though and is established and wouldn't do anything else. But if she had to start today, she wouldn't because there wouldn't be the breaks available she was able to get.

Going into business for yourself and selling yourself would be key as a portrait photographer would be one way to make some money. But I have seen a couple of those fold in my area over the past few years. Sorry to sound so bleak but that's all I can tell you.

If you are determined to move to Portland, come with savings to live on. Plan to get whatever employment possible while trying to establish yourself in photography but don't plan on using photography to earn your living. Anything is possible and it could happen but have a plan to earn your living in something besides photography.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Keep in mind that Portland is a magnet for arts majors of all types. Those we educate don't ever want to leave. The people who are really successful are those with industrial design (focus on "design") experience.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Thankfully I have a sensible background in Healthcare. I've got about 7 years of experience and two different licenses. I've heard hopeful things about the job market for Healthcare in Portland. That will be what I apply for straightaway. I probably won't even delve into photography until I'm well on my feet. But it is my ultimate dream and I have to make a go at it. I'm reasonable enough to know that I'll never make a full living off of nature and landscape alone. But even if it brought me pennies I'd be happy. The money thing has never bothered me. I am incredibly frugal. I wouldn't mind making 10 dollars an hour for the rest of my life, so long as I was spending my hours doing what I loved. I am willing to apply for anything-- assistant in a studio, food photographer, real estate photographer, etc. It's interesting you mention it doesn't even matter if you're incredibly skilled-- if you don't have business sense you're S.O.L. I suppose that is something I should work on before my big move. ::sigh:: Art and business don't mesh, at least not if you've got my brain.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Thankfully I have a sensible background in Healthcare. I've got about 7 years of experience and two different licenses. I've heard hopeful things about the job market for Healthcare in Portland. That will be what I apply for straightaway. I probably won't even delve into photography until I'm well on my feet. But it is my ultimate dream and I have to make a go at it. I'm reasonable enough to know that I'll never make a full living off of nature and landscape alone. But even if it brought me pennies I'd be happy. The money thing has never bothered me. I am incredibly frugal. I wouldn't mind making 10 dollars an hour for the rest of my life, so long as I was spending my hours doing what I loved. I am willing to apply for anything-- assistant in a studio, food photographer, real estate photographer, etc. It's interesting you mention it doesn't even matter if you're incredibly skilled-- if you don't have business sense you're S.O.L. I suppose that is something I should work on before my big move. ::sigh:: Art and business don't mesh, at least not if you've got my brain.
Well that's a completly different story. Kind of like one extreme to another. Yes healthcare is a good field to be in here.

Realistically, $10.00 would be survivable with a roommate or two. If you didn't need a car it would be even better. But I think you would be able to earn more in the healthcare field depending upon what your licenses where in.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM

I'm moving with my boyfriend who will be going to school for Physical Therapy. Once he gets that degree we will be clear of our low, low budget life but that's not for another few years. He will have his Bachelor's in Sci with a LOT of healthcare experiences and exceptional references. I've heard a Bachelor's doesn't mean much in Portland, but maybe in terms of Healthcare it'll come in handy. I have always known that I will make more in Healthcare as that is why my parents practically forced me into the field after I graduated HS. I've had it pounded into my head for years. But nothing has been able to stifle my artist's dream, my true love.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Networking in Portland is incredibly easy. Get yourself a LinkedIn.com account and add everyone you know. Go to Meetup.com and join Photography groups. Get on Flickr.com and go to the PDX Photo Meetups that are posted in the PDX Photo Group(s).

Let everyone know you're looking for a job, any job, and if you've got some skills people are usually willing to recommend you out to jobs. The real problem is if there are any jobs in the first place. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any photography positions available at this time.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Networking in Portland is incredibly easy. Get yourself a LinkedIn.com account and add everyone you know. Go to Meetup.com and join Photography groups. Get on Flickr.com and go to the PDX Photo Meetups that are posted in the PDX Photo Group(s).

Let everyone know you're looking for a job, any job, and if you've got some skills people are usually willing to recommend you out to jobs. The real problem is if there are any jobs in the first place. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any photography positions available at this time.
Just about every job I have ever gotten in Portland has been through networking but it has been through people I have known and have known me for a while. I don't think people will want to recommend someone they don't know well or have only know for a short time for a job or apartment because it could reflect badly on them.

When I was new to the paralegal business, I joined a couple to groups to find many others had joined for the same reason; to network to find a job. There were more of us than there were established members who could help us. But networking is still a good way to go. You just have to be patient and cast a wide net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: