Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,660 times

Advertisements

I am a hip hop artist who has spent the majority of my time in the Bay area California (Oakland/San Francisco area). Im doing very well where im at but was contemplating either moving to LA or San Diego california or Portland Oregon.

My only issue with LA is that EVERYONE goes there with the dream of doing the same thing and after visiting Portland oregon a few times, i loved the feel of the place. The last thing i want to do is think inside the box and i feel like LA is doing just that. Although thats the case i was wondering what the hip hop/Rap scene was like in or around Portland. Are there venues that allow performances, is there an audience for it?

Im very established on the internet when it comes to my fan base Moderator cut: snip But in the next few months i will be making a move in either direction. Just looking for some insights on it all. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-22-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Promotion, solicitation, and advertising is not permitted on City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,716 times
No, my cousin J, I don't remember his stage name because the family thinks his "passion" is idiotic, or we're indifferent. Any way, he got known though social media, I believe he has 70k plus followers. He moved to Oakland because he couldn't do anything bigger in Portland. We have a very small minority population and hip hop is not big here. If you incorporated electronica or some sort of new age trendy thing like a singing cat or 6 year old or some other lame gimmick you might get noticed. Have you ever heard of a rapper making it big in Portland. No, you have not. That alone should answer your question.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM

@andyamg i hear ya. but i dont know if i would base my decision on if there was anyone who made it big out of portland. Who was big outta pittsburgh PA before wiz or mac miller? and minorities arent even the majority who BUY tickets or the hip hop music itself. Oakland is probably the WORST place to come with your rap career. They love "hyphy", non meaningful rap out here. Gangsta rap still thrives in this area and not in the rest of the world, that should say something. lol throough research i KNOW no one has made it outta portland THAT big like its neighbor Seattle washington but i guess my question was more along the lines of an underground scene. But hey i appreciate the feedback as it has helped a little.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 AM

358 posts, read 471,123 times
A couple of links to get you started:

NW Hip Hop | Facebook

NW Hip Hop Fest 2 (Portland, Or.) Sept. 6th, 7th, 8th! • superhappywax.com

Northwest and Underground Hip Hop • superhappywax.com

Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,655,321 times
Default It just has to be Portland?

I have 2 guys on my crew that are doing gigs on the weekends and recording in Houston. Seems like the dream is alive for these guys anyway. I am sure Portland has a scene. You could make Portland home and travel some to get exposure. It has been awhile, but last time I remember hip hop was kinda of dying down in PDX. Seattle did give us Sir Mix-A-Lot. So its not impossible in the Northwest. Bring something new to the table with the local flavor and who knows the hipsters might support it.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM

This all has been such great feedback! @Haley James thank you so much for those awesome links! they really helped in showing me that hip hop is alive enough to have shows that i intend to be a part of in the future. thank you! @Squidlo thats ill fam. im happy for the two in your group keeping things alive. im down to collab anytime! as far as bringing something new to the table i DO believe i bring something very different as does everyone who's in my fan base. The NW hip hop scene seems like its into lyrics with passion, melody and meaning behind them. thats exactly what im into. I really really appriciate the feedback!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 AM

358 posts, read 471,123 times
Hey RickyMena, glad I could help! Best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland