Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times

Advertisements

Well, there is another option for you. Buy a boat. Depending on the size of the boat, slips at Marinas are cheaper then renting an apartment. You can get something right on the ocean.

Far fewer apartments are going to include all utilities in the rent.

I just went through PadMapper, the only place in the country that I could find apartments, near the coast for $450 or less was Mobile Alabama.

Away from the coast, options open up. Salt Lake City has places in that price range. As does Boise and Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:17 PM

128 posts, read 264,980 times
Hey man........ Good look, It's gonna be really hard. I'm a year old recently single male. I currently live in Las Vegas, NV. I'm looking fot a second job currently so that I can save up some money, because after the new year I plan and packing up my car and seeling what doesn't fit and I'm just going to make the move to either Portland or Seattle, just me, my car and whatever I can fit in it, no job (although I will be looking before the move) and a small savings. I just want to start a fresh new life in a fresh new city. Their is never going to be a good time to I figured I just have to go for it. I lived in the Seattle area for about months 2 years ago. and I love and miss the PNW very much and I will bust my ass and work harder then ever to get back there.
Again good luck man...... Do what you gotta do, but remember hard work pays off the most.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Don't assume that living on a boat is a viable option. Most marinas don't permit liveaboards and you need to go to a dump station to empty your black water. Boats need servicing regularly.. there is a reason why some say a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.

OP, your target rent isn't a lot higher than the cost of providing sewer, water and garbage services.

MAYBE, if you found a sound travel trailer you could arrange to be a Park Host in a campground. The Park Host spots that I have seen are hooked up to power, water and sewer. The Host's job is to keep an eye on the campground, often to collect park fees. Those assignments typically last a month or two. You would need a vehicle capable of towing the trailer on to the next campground.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 PM

29 posts, read 54,341 times
Thanks hjmontijo. If it wasn't for having to bring my mother along I'd probably do something similar to what you're planning, but I can't leave her alone especially since there isn't any other family than the two of us. Good luck to you too.

I briefly investigated the boat idea after seeing some listings and Nell Plotts is right. Also, there isn't enough money to buy a mobile home otherwise I'd consider that too. I've noticed nearly all rentals have W/S/G included in the rent, so I don't think that'll be an issue, the only essential thing left is electricity and from what I hear it's not all that bad out there. At the moment I don't have a car. There will probably be enough money left for me to get a clunker that can get me from and to work (eventually I'll get something better).

Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Moving here, with your finances, makes no sense to me but the best of luck to you.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM

29 posts, read 54,341 times
Thanks. I'm still going to move there one way or another.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

128 posts, read 264,980 times
It really does sound like you two will have to rent a room/basement which is what I plan on doing when I make the move. I don't mind living with other people as long as they are kind and respectful. Good luck again.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010001 View Post
One of the issues with the renting a room idea is we have a lot of stuff. I'd have to also rent storage somewhere and that will add to the overall cost. Plus it would have to be two rooms. If we have a 1 bedroom apartment I can stay in the living room. I do agree, we just need something that's temporary until there's an opening in the waiting lists or some other opportunity presents itself. It would be great if we found something more permanent right away but we definitely don't expect that to happen.

There are several reasons we want to move to the PNW. One reason is the ocean. My mother really wants to live close to it again since she grew up around it, and like I said this will probably be the last big move for her. I'd like to be closer to a big city for more career opportunities and things to do. I've researched the entire nation for the past few years and it *always* narrows down to the PNW. There are other reasons as well.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but please don't tell me it can't be done, I want to stay positive about it. There is no where else we want to move. I know the odds are against us, but there are always ways around things, it's just a matter of finding them..
Positive does not equal realistic as far as your expectations go. You have been given a lot of good advice but just because it isnt what you want to hear doesnt mean it isnt accurate. Either increase your budget or look for a city you CAN afford to move to.
Why dont you actually come here and take a look at what you can get with the budget you have to work with and see for yourself. Then you will see firsthand what you can afford.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 720 times
Hey 01010001,

Finding myself in a similar situation (although my range is higher) but I am moving from Michigan with my savings for now. I had a lease lined up but then it fell through (fault on their end). Anyway, I thought I would check in seeing that it is a year later and see if you had any luck. Also, Minervah ... Does your friend still do these rentals? I need a place for six months for me and two adult, declawed and trained kitties. I am moving in three weeks!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjipants View Post
Hey 01010001,

Finding myself in a similar situation (although my range is higher) but I am moving from Michigan with my savings for now. I had a lease lined up but then it fell through (fault on their end). Anyway, I thought I would check in seeing that it is a year later and see if you had any luck. Also, Minervah ... Does your friend still do these rentals? I need a place for six months for me and two adult, declawed and trained kitties. I am moving in three weeks!
Hi, unfortunately I guess I didn't make myself clear in my post. My friend didn't do the rental, this was the rental she did from someone else in which she was the tenant. She has since moved though and someone else is now renting the space. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But renting a room in someone's house would be a way to good because it would be much less expensive than renting an apartment if you could find something like that. My friend's place was in St John's neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland