Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglet View Post

I like open asian markets where I can buy produce & goods. Would definitely want to stay within these central hubs, kind of like San Fran China Town.
Portland's "China Town," is nothing like San Francisco's China Town. In it's pretty much one of the worse areas around, granted nowhere near as bad as the Tenderloin District in SF, but bad by Portland standards. Even a lot of the Chinese owned businesses have moved out of the area in the past decade.

The Asian community as it is is spread out across all of the Portland area. There are two big Asian markets in the suburbs - neither would be in the Metro that you're craving. There are a host of smaller Asian markets, along with a large number of Asian owned restaurants, and several Buddhist temples, or language specific Churches all across the city. The closest to a community that exists anymore is off of 82nd. But my gut feeling is that the people who own those businesses don't live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
There is nothing like San Francisco China Town in Portland or open air Asian Market. What passes for Portland China Town are restaurants owned by Asian people behind dragon gates but there are not many of those left. Portland dosen't really have neighborhoods with high concentrations of ethnic groups as does many cities. It's pretty well mixed.

For example, there is a Korean Methodist Church in my neighborhood but you don't find a lot of Korean people living here any longer. However, you do see them attending church services on Sunday.

Regarding jobs in your field, that's a tough one, I think you will be up against many people including those with MBA's searching for the same positions. I think if I were in your position, I would contact a head hunter and see what the climate is for jobs in your field.

Not to be negative, just realisitic because when it comes to job competition, Portland can be a tough nut to crack.

As far as condos, there are many in the Pearl district and downtown area. They are nice and prpbably expensive. But there are also some suburban ones as well. I live in what is called close-in SE Portland which means close to downtown. I know of a couple of older buildings that were rentals but have been converted to condos.

Why not come a visit and see for yourself how things are? I think you have a of Portland looking more like SanFrancisco or maybe even Seattle but it is really quite different. If you see it you will understand.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM

159 posts, read 185,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There is nothing like San Francisco China Town in Portland or open air Asian Market. What passes for Portland China Town are restaurants owned by Asian people behind dragon gates but there are not many of those left. Portland dosen't really have neighborhoods with high concentrations of ethnic groups as does many cities. It's pretty well mixed.

For example, there is a Korean Methodist Church in my neighborhood but you don't find a lot of Korean people living here any longer. However, you do see them attending church services on Sunday.

Regarding jobs in your field, that's a tough one, I think you will be up against many people including those with MBA's searching for the same positions. I think if I were in your position, I would contact a head hunter and see what the climate is for jobs in your field.

Not to be negative, just realisitic because when it comes to job competition, Portland can be a tough nut to crack.

As far as condos, there are many in the Pearl district and downtown area. They are nice and prpbably expensive. But there are also some suburban ones as well. I live in what is called close-in SE Portland which means close to downtown. I know of a couple of older buildings that were rentals but have been converted to condos.

Why not come a visit and see for yourself how things are? I think you have a of Portland looking more like SanFrancisco or maybe even Seattle but it is really quite different. If you see it you will understand.

Thank you folks for the responses. I really appreciate the insight. I know how tough it is out there w/ the job market, but at the same time, I do not want to spend the rest of my life in Hawaii w/o living somewhere else. It's bad that I am single, but in a way, it's also good. To say the least, I'd like meet someone. As of now, I'm trying to save, and build a more meaningful experience on my resume, but I know even then, the search for a job in my field will be challenging.

Maybe this thread should be more about transitioning to a new place.

Living in Hawaii, drinking the water from the fountain was paradise. Couldn't do the same elsewhere. lolz I read how Portland has one of the best mass transits here. If I'm not mistaken, the water there is always drinkable?

Being born and raised in Hawaii is kind of a setback, habits and lifestyle seem to put me a tier back behind locals and natives up there, but that won't stop me.

I do plan on visiting there, but would like to know if me randomly sending out my resume be meaningful in anyway? I'm a big fan of Rogue too, and know they are up there! hahah

Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM

159 posts, read 185,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Portland's "China Town," is nothing like San Francisco's China Town. In it's pretty much one of the worse areas around, granted nowhere near as bad as the Tenderloin District in SF, but bad by Portland standards. Even a lot of the Chinese owned businesses have moved out of the area in the past decade.

The Asian community as it is is spread out across all of the Portland area. There are two big Asian markets in the suburbs - neither would be in the Metro that you're craving. There are a host of smaller Asian markets, along with a large number of Asian owned restaurants, and several Buddhist temples, or language specific Churches all across the city. The closest to a community that exists anymore is off of 82nd. But my gut feeling is that the people who own those businesses don't live in the area.
Do you know if the assimilation has anything to do w/ stereotype and racial prejudice? Many have told me, I could pass for a tourist; I have fair complexion, despite me being from Hawaii.

I'm not a die hard, but would just like to have the liberty of asian food/produce as it's so reminiscent of home. Can't live with out it, comes to mind. lolz But that's not to say I won't have a burger, fries, pizza, or a medium rare steak! haha

Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
Do you know if the assimilation has anything to do w/ stereotype and racial prejudice? Many have told me, I could pass for a tourist; I have fair complexion, despite me being from Hawaii.

I'm not a die hard, but would just like to have the liberty of asian food/produce as it's so reminiscent of home. Can't live with out it, comes to mind. lolz But that's not to say I won't have a burger, fries, pizza, or a medium rare steak! haha
The problem is rooted much further back then that. In the mid to late 1800's Oregon was a very racist state against the Chinese. Well all the undesirables in general, but mostly the Chinese as they were the most visible. A large percentage of immigrants to Oregon were ex-Southeners, through those days. Add in the typical "immigrants are taking our jobs," scare tactics and Chinese specifically were literally driven underground.

Pendleton Underground Tours (dot) org

As the 19th Century closed, Chinese left in droves. Most of the other races such as Norwegians and Irish assimilated into Oregon by that time so prejudice faded. Add WWII Japanese camps during the 1940, Oregon had a large concentration of Japanese people in the apple industry out around Hood River for instance. Most of them left after the war. I've seen numbers that say 75% went to Japan, including family members who had been born in Oregon and didn't even speak Japanese.

I seems like the first mass migration back to Oregon was the Vietnamese Boat People. But they didn't really settle down in one big clump like most migrating populations tend to do. Like the remaining Chinese and Japanese, they spread out across the entire state. I think this was easier because the racism had pretty much died out by then, I'm sure there still is some, but I've never witnessed any towards Asian people. I'm speculating, but I think it's because at that time Oregon was dealing with the first waves of Mexicans Immigrants, and the bajillionth wave of Californians and had plenty of other places to spend their racism.

I know there are large amounts of Koreans and Thai people here now. But they don't seem concentrated. I have a nice multi-generation Korean family down the street from me, and there is a Korean Language Church about half a mile away, but they're the only Asian family I know in my neighborhood. But I can point out half a dozen Russian families and just as many first generation African families.

Now on the food side, you won't be disappointed. We have a LOT of good Asian restaurants of all cultures, which are run by people of all races. The best two Thai places are owned by a white guy, the best sushi place nearby is owned by a Korean guy who has three Mexican chefs working for him. The great Indian place is owned by a nice Chinese lady, with an Pakistani and Mexican crew.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
A Google search for "hawaiian food portland oregon" produces plenty of results.

I'm getting hungry.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM

I used to have several Hawaiian co-workers and they loved it here. I never heard them speak of any set backs or prejudices shown against them. The Korean Methodist Church to which I referred in another post is on the corner of SE 28th and Madison.

Portland has many transplants arriving all the time. I really don't think anyone takes much notice of where you're from these days. Nothing really unusual about that. Just relax and focus on making a new life. I think some of the things about which you are concerned won't even be a problem. Your biggest obstacle will be like every other person's who moves here, finding employment and a place to live.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
A Google search for "hawaiian food portland oregon" produces plenty of results.

I'm getting hungry.
Yummy with even better mai-tai's. Ate-Oh-Ate Hawaiian Restaurant, PDX

Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM

My favorit. Beautiful website too.

http://www.nohos.com/

Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The problem is rooted much further back then that. In the mid to late 1800's Oregon was a very racist state against the Chinese. Well all the undesirables in general, but mostly the Chinese as they were the most visible. A large percentage of immigrants to Oregon were ex-Southeners, through those days. Add in the typical "immigrants are taking our jobs," scare tactics and Chinese specifically were literally driven underground.

As the 19th Century closed, Chinese left in droves. Most of the other races such as Norwegians and Irish assimilated into Oregon by that time so prejudice faded. Add WWII Japanese camps during the 1940, Oregon had a large concentration of Japanese people in the apple industry out around Hood River for instance. Most of them left after the war. I've seen numbers that say 75% went to Japan, including family members who had been born in Oregon and didn't even speak Japanese.
It wasn't just Oregon, it was America, with the The Chinese Exclusion Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland