Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:29 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times

Advertisements

Personally, I can't wait until I don't ever have to pump my own gas. I have nice hands. Thank you, Oregon! See you in December!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Tell me again how many anarchist societies have thrived throughout history?

If you are part of a democratic republic, you have the choice of following it's rules or you can go elsewhere.

I like the way you put that.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Tell me again how many anarchist societies have thrived throughout history?

If you are part of a democratic republic, you have the choice of following it's rules or you can go elsewhere.
Ah, yes, dismiss everyone who disagrees with you as anarchist...classic. At this point I don't care anymore...no point in arguing.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
I was in PDX in July. I pumped my own gas "accidentally". I truly had forgotten and the attendant walked over and said "everything ok?" I said "yeah I live out of state I forgot....." I did however get away from the pumps a lot quicker than the people who were getting the attendant experience.

Too each his own I guess. I would like a choice. Leave me one lonely pump out by the edge of the lot. I will use my CC and slink away...

When it is super muggy here I wonder how nice it would be to sit in my car and get fuel. I am so cheap I'd still pump my own and save a few pennies.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Ah, yes, dismiss everyone who disagrees with you as anarchist...classic. At this point I don't care anymore...no point in arguing.
I did not call anybody or accuse anybody of being an anarchist.
I said anarchist society. And you didn't even answer my question.
An "anarchist society" is a society where no one believes in following any rules.
Do what ever they want.
Exactly what you are expressing. Understand now?
I used the word "Anarchist" by the definition of anarchy, which is this:

a: absence of government
b: a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority
c: a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government
2a: absence or denial of any authority or established order
b: absence of order : disorder <not manicured plots but a wild anarchy of nature — Israel Shenker>

I meant in the same way as when I said "democratic republic".
Did you think I meant democrats and republicans by that?
I bet you didn't.
Then again, since you don't even know what anarchy means, maybe you did.
A democratic republic is ruled by the people (not a King or something) in a democratic (which means it's citizens get to vote on things) way.

See how words work?
I understand if you are finding it surprising that one word can have slightly different meanings.

I'm glad you don't care anymore and are not going to argue further.
When someone doesn't even know what they are talking about, it's pointless to argue with them.

Pick up a dictionary some time before you decide to get all righteous.
Also, you need to take a social studies class.
A class on Government would also enlighten you a great deal.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-15-2013 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM

131 posts, read 277,874 times
`Before I moved here, I read complaints on here about not being able to pump your own gas and didn't understand the issue. I thought it would be great, but considered that maybe there was something I didn't know---such as maybe they are incredibly slow and it takes forever or that gas prices would be outrageous. I've lived here for 10 months and I love that I don't have to get out to pump or have my hands smell of gas. My dad just came for a visit and was very impressed and mention how many jobs that offers Oregonians. He also mentioned that gas was cheaper here than in Illinois.

The "it's my right to pump my own" argument seems so strange. It's like saying "it's my right to check myself out at the grocery store" and resent a cashier.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Another good post. You hit on some important points. It doesn't take long for newcomers to get used to the service.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'bones View Post
My dad just came for a visit and was very impressed and mention how many jobs that offers Oregonians.
Roughly 7800 jobs. Yeah, not a huge number, but it makes a difference in rural parts of Oregon. When your County/City has a 12%+ Unemployment rate during economic booms, any job is a good job.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 AM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Maybe Oregon saw this coming:

"The Americans with Disabilities Act says that when two or more people are working at a self-service station, if you’re able to get their attention, one of them is obligated to come out and assist you,” says Paul Tobin, president of United Spinal and also a quadriplegic. “This is antithetical to how it’s done today.” After all, stations are designed to be self-serve. Full-service gas stations are being phased out in favor of self-service everywhere except two states. In Oregon and New Jersey, the law requires that attendants pump the gas. Everywhere else, drivers who need assistance are stuck trying to call the number on the blue sign or honking away in hopes of getting an attendant’s attention. If that doesn’t work, most drivers with physical disabilities just get out and pump it themselves, although it can take up to half an hour longer and can be frustratingly inconvenient — if not impossible.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
From the comments section of the Oregonian today (totally unrelated news topic). Thought this was funny:

jim9953
This article highlights one of the many benefits of single family dwellings.
tombdragon likes this.
8 Hours Ago · Reply
View more items

jim9953
The point is that I would have a choice. I would be able to take care of it the manner I choose and on my schedule.
6 Hours Ago · Reply

michael22
jim9953: you're one of those guys that keeps pushing to pump your own gas because it will save money, aren't you?
6 Hours Ago · Reply

jim9953
22, First, I don't need to save a few cents. Second, why on earth would you think that I would want to pump my own gas if I don't have to?
1 Hour Ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland