Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times

Advertisements

The reason for the law was safety after a student with Legislative ties set herself on fire while fueling in Eugene many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You wouldn't believe all the violent accidents that occur in states where they're forced to pump their own gas.
Done it since the 70's. Never heard of ONE accident in that time. I think the station owners spread legends to keep control. Some drivers do stupidly latch the hose open so they don't have to pay attention and spill gas on the ground. But violent events? Nada. But, hey, some people actually like full service. Do they wash your windows and check your oil like they did long ago?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times
Actually a friend of my brother's drove off with the hose still in the tank...twice...regardless I'd rather be able to choose between the two.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,729 times
Hey, I'm certainly not complaining, I just think it's funny that something is against the law here that 48 other states do. But again, not complaining... I like the idea of sitting in my Wat car and letting someone else fuel it up on a cold day.

I think I'll be able to adjust fairly quickly to that. So it looks like I'll just keep my gas key on a separate ring and have that ready for them with my credit card.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM

281 posts, read 713,146 times
I'll complain, I've lived here my whole life and I think the law is ridiculous, the station pays one or two guys minimum wage to run around all day, sucking gas fumes, taking cards, putting nozzles in, taking nozzles out, getting change, getting recites all while drivers just sit and wait and wait and wait . . .

Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Hope it shows up on the ballot again soon, so I can vote against it. Again.

Finding it odd that something is illegal ( or legal) in one state and not in another, is not having a very firm understanding of the way things work. Can you say gay marriage, assisted suicide, legalized marijuana, the death penalty, medical marijuana, civil unions, just to name a few recent hot topics.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Hope it shows up on the ballot again soon, so I can vote against it. Again.

Finding it odd that something is illegal ( or legal) in one state and not in another, is not having a very firm understanding of the way things work. Can you say gay marriage, assisted suicide, legalized marijuana, the death penalty, medical marijuana, civil unions, just to name a few recent hot topics.
States rights, it was built into the constitution. The federal government has a few specific powers that it can exert on all of the states but most things are left to each individual state to vote on. It localizes powers so people from California can't decide how to run Oregon, and vice versa. It was originally meant for smaller eastern states and kind of loses its meaning with the larger western states.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The reason for the law was safety after a student with Legislative ties set herself on fire while fueling in Eugene many years ago.
As far as I know (my family having owned a gas station at the time,) this law came about in 1951 as a way to get more Oregonians to work during one of our numerous recessions due to the lowered demand in timber sales. It was a quick and easy law to pass, put several thousand people to work right away and was an easy way for everyone in the Legislature to say "See! I'm doing something about the economy! Vote for me!"

The safety stuff was all tacked on to force Gas Station owners to submit to it with a minimal fight. As of 2010, there were about 7600 people in Oregon employed as Gas Station Attendants.

Either way, I spent forty minutes looking through the Oregonian's archives and can't find the truth of the matter, nor even a mention of the law being enacted at all. Perhaps I'm using the wrong key words, but on the surface there looks to be little controversy over it.

I found that the State of Oregon had lost most of it's post-war surplus by 1951 and was down to $3.5million. And, interestingly, I found that the 1953 Legislature passed a law allowing tolling of the Interstate Bridge to build a second bridge next door. Both bridges are now considered the I-5 Bridge.

In 1982 though, there are plenty of "letters to the editor" that talk about safety and jobs being at the forefront with talking about the self-service law.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I'd love to see a link to this incident. Care to share it?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I'd love to see a link to this incident. Care to share it?
It used to be around. I haven't seen it in years. Not very common as it occured before the internet. Try back issues of the Register Guard or Statesman Journal. Both carried articals. Yes it was around 1951, and it did come back up but I don't think it was the '80's. More like around 1975.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland