Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM

26 posts, read 46,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
tram is not really dateworthy in my opinion - but i rode it twice today for work so to me it's nothing special.
Hmm.. that was on the top of my list.. guess I'll cross it off.

Anything else that may be worth it? Ha just shoot off anything and I'll look it up.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If it is a clear day the tram is tourist worthy.

The Newport Bay restaurant at the foot of SW Montgomery Street is date worthy. It is only a couple blocks from a NS Street Car stop. Make reservations.

Maybe its just me but taking a girl out for a beer on the first weekend, particularly if you come from traditional Indian families, just doesn't cut it.

If she is at all bookish go to Powell's bookstore on W. Burnside, there is a coffee shop inside.

Washington Park is lovely, particularly the Rose Garden, but it is early in the season for flowering plants. The Japanese Garden should be very nice even this early in the year (it is in the same vicinity as the Rose Garden). Be aware that our basketball arena is also called The Rose Garden and they aren't close by.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If it is a clear day the tram is tourist worthy.

The Newport Bay restaurant at the foot of SW Montgomery Street is date worthy. It is only a couple blocks from a NS Street Car stop. Make reservations.

Maybe its just me but taking a girl out for a beer on the first weekend, particularly if you come from traditional Indian families, just doesn't cut it.

If she is at all bookish go to Powell's bookstore on W. Burnside, there is a coffee shop inside.

Washington Park is lovely, particularly the Rose Garden, but it is early in the season for flowering plants. The Japanese Garden should be very nice even this early in the year (it is in the same vicinity as the Rose Garden). Be aware that our basketball arena is also called The Rose Garden and they aren't close by.
One thing I know.. she doesn't like seafood. Yes, she is Indian, but has mentioned drinking as a good ice breaker. The bookstore was on the top of my list. Definitely looks interesting.

I'll check the weather in regard to the tram...

The parks sound nice, - I've seen the Japanese garden as a must see thing in Portland

Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
When are you going to be in Portland? I would check a calendar and see if there are any festivals or something to catch.

If you're getting in late Friday after traveling all day, I would just ask someone at the desk where to go that you can walk to. Chances are you won't want to do too much since it will be late after a long day.

The tram totally depends on the weather.

As for the boat cruise, the Portland Spirit is kind of lame as far as the food and 'entertainment' go. If you could take it without having to pay for the crappy food, it might be okay. If it's during warmer weather, I would suggest a jet boat tour instead.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Humm, doesn't like seafood. That eliminates sushi places too.

St. Honore Bakery is fantastic.. it will be crowded as it is more than a neighborhood hang out. Arrive early in the day on weekends.

The Ringside has fantastic steaks, is a bit on the expensive side IMHO but is date worthy. Mother's is excellent but there is a line outside on Sunday morning so lingering over brunch that day is discouraged.

If you have a car drive to Timberline Lodge for dinner if you can avoid the weekends or arrive after 5 in the afternoon (avoiding skiers). You will need to buy a day's Snow Pass at the Lodge.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM

I agree with the Friday thing... She is getting off work that day.. and it'll have been a long day. Rest for Saturday ftw

It looks to be 50's and raining frequently on/off on Saturday. TRAM NO GO then?

Also, the Portland City Grill is dinner for Saturday night.. That place looks lovely.

Thanks for everyone's input

Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Humm, doesn't like seafood. That eliminates sushi places too.

St. Honore Bakery is fantastic.. it will be crowded as it is more than a neighborhood hang out. Arrive early in the day on weekends.

The Ringside has fantastic steaks, is a bit on the expensive side IMHO but is date worthy. Mother's is excellent but there is a line outside on Sunday morning so lingering over brunch that day is discouraged.

If you have a car drive to Timberline Lodge for dinner if you can avoid the weekends or arrive after 5 in the afternoon (avoiding skiers). You will need to buy a day's Snow Pass at the Lodge.
I saw the Ringside restaurant, decided the go with Portland City Grill over that.

Is that bowling alley any good? Grand Central. I was thinking on Friday night it would be something easy/casual to do.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Brahma forgive me if I've sinned against the innocent, but I'm calling major troll on this one. No one drives across state lines with a total stranger not ever met in person. There is so much to do and see in Seattle that there would be no need for a Seattle based love interest to want to come down here until... ... later. If later was meant to be.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Brahma forgive me if I've sinned against the innocent, but I'm calling major troll on this one. No one drives across state lines with a total stranger not ever met in person. There is so much to do and see in Seattle that there would be no need for a Seattle based love interest to want to come down here until... ... later. If later was meant to be.

LOL LOL

There's more to the story than what I posted...

Why would I need to troll? Haha trying to find out what natives recommend. Yelp only goes so far.

and, people go across countries to meet people, lol please do reply to this...

Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM

The Portland Grill is a good choice.

I don't bowl so can't comment on any of those venues.

I too wondered why you don't visit her in Seattle, there is lots to do and see there. If the both of you can easily travel to Canada and back a trip to Victoria would be perfect! It may be that the two of you are sticking your toes beyond Indian courtship boundaries and there are nosy folks in Seattle who would tell tales. That I can understand. Tip toe, sneak away to a place where no one knows but still stay on the straight and narrow.

[My DD lives in the Silicon Valley. I have an inkling of Indian culture.]

If you two want to meet again I do suggest a trip to Victoria or San Francisco. Common weekend getaways in our part of the world... unless of course you live in greater San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland