Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 AM

10 posts, read 22,002 times

Advertisements

The few things I have lined up is the Japanese garden, voodoo doughnut, my hood, the coast,and international beer fest. Oh yea powells book store.

Now I want to know of some good places to eat, good beer, must see places or events. I will have a rental car so I will try to go explore as much as possible.

I leave Friday morning and should be there around 11 and I want to hit the ground running to make the best of the time I will have.

I can't wait to see if Oregon people have an accent compared to us hehe. I am anxious to see what the weather is like there compared to here also (Alabama).

Let me hear whatever you think of. Tomorrow I will really try to get me a list of thing together to try to do.

Thanks
Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
You're going to run into a bit of a heat wave when you get here. It's going to be in the 90's, so dress accordingly. It will be cooler at the beach and on Mt. Hood though.
It sound like you have a pretty good agenda already. I'd suggest also going to Saturday Market. It's open on Sunday too. Fun place, lots of local color and handicrafts and good cheap eats. Here's the link.

Home

If you like funky, hippie type neighborhoods - try to fit in a trip to Hawthorne Blvd. It's not far from downtown. Otherwise, you seem to be hitting the highlights and you've only got 4 days!

Have fun! You are coming at a time of year when it's just gorgeous here.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiy View Post
The few things I have lined up is the Japanese garden, voodoo doughnut, my hood, the coast,and international beer fest. Oh yea powells book store.

Now I want to know of some good places to eat, good beer, must see places or events. I will have a rental car so I will try to go explore as much as possible.

I leave Friday morning and should be there around 11 and I want to hit the ground running to make the best of the time I will have.

I can't wait to see if Oregon people have an accent compared to us hehe. I am anxious to see what the weather is like there compared to here also (Alabama).

Let me hear whatever you think of. Tomorrow I will really try to get me a list of thing together to try to do.

Thanks
Larry

If you're going to Mt Hood, I'd make a day of it and take the Columbia Gorge-Mt Hood loop, going up I-84 and continuing up the Hood River Valley to Timberline Lodge and coming back to Portland on Hwy 26. Beautiful scenery along most of this drive, lots of waterfalls in the Gorge--and it's easy to do in a day--good places to eat in Hood River well.

If you're going to the coast, I'd reccomend the Three Capes Loop if you have time--take Hwy 6 out to Tilamook--really beautiful stretch of coast.

Portland's got tons of great restaurants and bars as well..What kind of food are you looking for?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If you're going to Mt Hood, I'd make a day of it and take the Columbia Gorge-Mt Hood loop, going up I-84 and continuing up the Hood River Valley to Timberline Lodge and coming back to Portland on Hwy 26. Beautiful scenery along most of this drive, lots of waterfalls in the Gorge--and it's easy to do in a day--good places to eat in Hood River well.

If you're going to the coast, I'd reccomend the Three Capes Loop if you have time--take Hwy 6 out to Tilamook--really beautiful stretch of coast.

Portland's got tons of great restaurants and bars as well..What kind of food are you looking for?
I visited in August of '08 and did the Mt. Hood loop - I totally second this recommendation since you will have time. Hood River is beautiful - be sure to stop at one of the orchard stands along the way up.

Weather can change on a dime as we started off with clouds (downtown Portland), to light rain (the gorge), to sunny, chilly, and very windy up at the Timberline lodge. Never boring and ever-changing scenery - it's an awesome adventure.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM

10 posts, read 22,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Food, usually about anything except seafood. I will try to do this loop you talk about. I expected the Mt Hood trip to take a day or atleast most of one. I don't have mountains where I live so it will be awesome to see I am sure.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
"Mother's" in downtown Portland is a favorite. I do not recommend it on Sundays as the line can go around the block. They have a website, I think you can preview the menu. Arrive hungry.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM

70 posts, read 212,154 times
Make sure to stop at Michael's Italian Beef and Sausage Co. GREAT GREAT sandwhiches!!!! Whenever we visit Portland, it's MUST stop for my dh. He loads up on 3 subs!!! 1111 SE Sand at Burnside...

Old 07-18-2009, 02:32 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
My mother is quite a history buff so the things she enjoyed was the Pitcock mansion and Fort Vancouver.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiy View Post

Thanks
Larry
Figured it was too late to offer suggestions, since you mentioned leaving Friday. But noted you are coming from Alabama, so I'm guessing you may check for internet as you travel.

If you are going to follow this as you travel, let us know.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Oh boy will she get the wrong impression... the weather is predicted to be marvelous, frankly too hot for most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland