Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Then she should apply to NS and TJ's, and hell, why not, Whole Wallet as well. But ixnay to the arcay, that way lies poverty. Googled (my favorite) the bike commute. It's as bad as an earlier poster said. My bad. So... were it I... bike from the house to LLoyd Center MAX stop, due south. Take the Blue Line, Eastbound to 82nd St and I-84, then bike straight south down 82nd (until you learn alternates). As fitness improves, more of the MAX leg can be taken by the bike until the rider becomes completely MAX free.

H
It would be better to ride to Lloyd Center and get on the green line and get off at the Powell stop. You would be less than 10 blocks from the WalMart at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I agree with oregonwoodsmoke.

Handling a 1 yo on a bike is not an easy task for most women. Bike, baby + bus is nuts.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM

254 posts, read 442,721 times
Don't sell her short. I bike with two in a trailer and one on the front (we usually have the neighbor kid with us - I only have three kids), with my 7 year old following. It takes some getting used to an good planning, but it can be done. We bike to the farmers' market and the regular store, sometimes down to the beach. You need to build up your strength, but it can be done. It's by no means a nightmare. I'm actually looking forward to moving to Portland so I can get MORE done by bike with the kids.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM

16 posts, read 30,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Some cities allow the bike in the bus and have racks just for them. Not Portland.

(snip)

Hard to imagine, but yes, several cities have them. Do a Google or Bing (My Favorite) search.
Well, this is news to me, as the city or cities in question aren't NYC, SF, or Seattle:

MTA Bike & Ride
Bikes on Muni
Loading your bike on the bus

The Left Coast burgs offer the same options as Tri-Met, racks in front, folders usually OK inside. No racks on NYC buses. Nothing about interior racks whatsoever for any of these cities. Between these 4 you don't have much left in the way of commuting in the US at all. Are these European buses you're talking about that can only hold 5 people to make room for all their bikes or something? The commuter shuttle out to the Schwinn or Trek plant?

Aspen CO has conducted an experiment with a bike-only bus: RFTA aims to please with new bike bus
Bus retrofitted to hold 12 bicycles in the interior; limited service begins June 8

Quote:
Hauling around a bicycle on a bus in the Roaring Fork Valley will become much easier if an experiment proves successful this summer.

The Roaring Fork Transportation Authority will unveil special service Sunday, June 8, on what it is calling its “Bike Express.”

RFTA mechanics retrofitted the interior of a bus by removing most of the seats and installing 12 bike racks. The bus will load and unload at specially designated bus stops — but not at every stop. Bike Express service will begin in Glenwood Springs in the morning and end up back there in the evening, but most of its service will focus between El Jebel and Aspen, RFTA communications and marketing director Sylvia Cranmer said Thursday.

If the service proves popular, RFTA might add a second bike bus. But for now, the agency just wants to get the service launched and work out the kinks before considering expansion.
That was from 2008. Chicago only has the front mounted racks too: How-To Guide: Bringing your Bike on the Bus.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
You are correct in that NYC does not allow bikes on buses. NYC DOT - Bikes on Transit

They used to allow bikes in the wheelchair area like ... http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/B...2577bd00530a9b

When I lived in Ft Worth they always allowed bikes in the bus. It seems even with the racks added since I moved, they still do. ... http://www.the-t.com/BusService/Bike...6/Default.aspx

Although Chicago doesn't allow them inside, The City of Elk Grove does. ... http://www.e-tran.org/biking.asp

In many cities you just ask the driver .... https://www.metrotransit.org/bike-n-ride-bus.aspx

Last edited by Steve Pickering; 04-12-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I have lived in Portland many years without a car because I don't drive. I have always made certain I lived in neighborhoods with a good bus route because they are not always that plentiful. So what I would suggest is the as you are looking for a place to live, consider what type of public transportation is available to you. Don't give up the car before you move since you don't know where you will be living and working. I think giving it up too soon would be a mistake.

You said that you didn't know if you would be able to bike everywhere and not everyone can be or wants to be especially if you have a small child to carry around with you. It's not the kind of lifestyle for everyone and don't feel pressured to make it so.

Once you find your Walmart and yes and your neighborhood then you can determine how much bus or MAX service it has and whether or not it will suit you.

The Walmart on 82nd near Holgate is 4200 SE 82nd. It's a superWalmart or whatever they call the larger stores in one of the strip malls that line the street in the Lents neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
OP - You have absolutely no excuse NOT to ride a bike with only one kid, especially when you see this.

Realistically though, you will get in shape pretty quick. I'm positive those back pains you have WILL go away with regular exercise. A huge portion of people's "getting older" pains are actually "I don't exercise enough" pains. I am by no means an exercise freak, but I have lived with back problems ever since I was a kid. I finally got tired of it and started really exercising about a year ago, nothing heavy, just a dozen crunches a night or so a few push ups and a daily walk. I haven't lost a lick of weight, but I'm stronger, healthier, sleep better, and more importantly have ZERO back pains.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM

192 posts, read 454,670 times
Do you have the option of transferring to a WalMart Neighborhood Market? If so, there are a few in the area. Might be more family-friendly if you want to live in the neighborhood. In West Linn, there is an apartment complex literally across the street from the Neighborhood Market store, and bus stops right in front of it. There are some childcare options along the bus lines as well.

Remember that your daughter will not be small for too long. She'll be able to walk short distances with you pretty soon.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM

254 posts, read 442,721 times
Haha, I KNEW that would be the picture of Emily Finch. I never should've seen that. Been on my husband for months to let me trade my car for a Bakfiet once we move.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times
Inspiration.. This Portland mom with six kids gets them around town by bicycle:

Bike panniers for groceries:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland