Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,294 times

Advertisements

Saved to favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 01:15 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,138,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've heard the Oregon coast is the pretty part of our coastal trip with the exception of Big Sur.
I took this photo somewhere between Tillamook and Cannon Beach in September last year. I was speechless and didn't want to leave.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,773 times
I believe you are looking south, down on Manzanita and Nehalem bay from Neahkanie mountain.
(Nehalem Bay would be under clouds where the hills are peaking out above them, the water you sea is the Pacific.)

We used to own a little beach house to the left of where the sand bulges out.

Just a friendly reminder for vistors:
In Oregon, what everybody else calls "the beach" or "the shore" is called the coast.

An Oregonian would tell friends: "We are going to the coast to play on the beach."

By the way, as you are driving along Nehalem Bay, stop at either Brighton Marina or the Jetty Fishery.
These are marinas that have RV parking, boat ramps, docks, tackle shops, tanks full of live crabs and clams, and are pretty cool to visit.
Good places to buy some local marina T shirts and sweatshirts that are distinctly Oregon without all the touristy crap all over them.

The atmosphere is very "nautical" and you get a taste of Oregon coast fishing and crabbing activities.
My kids would always beg me to stop at one of them when we were out there so they could peek in the crab tank!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-17-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
That's a BEAUTIFUL picture! I can't wait to spend time on the Oregon Coast.

My husband and I have a question that is very important to us.

FOG.

Does it have a schedule? Does it roll in at night and leave in the morning?

We're just wondering how the fog will interfere with our travel plans.

If we plan to get up early in the morning and head to our next destination, will fog postpone our departure until lunchtime?

Alternately, if we're planning to arrive at a hotel late in the evening, will fog make it difficult to get there?

I know weather can change at anytime, but some things are likely to happen at certain times---like it will often rain in the late afternoon where I live.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,658,286 times
Imho it's hard to predict about the FOG. It depends on what the recent temps have been, humidity, wind speed, direction, etc.

Meteorologists try to predict the Fog. Sometimes they are right.Sometimes they are wrong...
They may say 2mile visibity.....5mile visibity.....10mile visibility

You can keep track of what they are predicting on the TV at

www.kobi5.com

www.ktvl.com

www.kdrv.com

I live in the mountains...Don't usually have Fog...

Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Pix don't really do it justice. It's a beautiful lake!
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...pse68d97e4.jpg
I seem to be having problems with photobucket. Sorry for posting Crater Lake again.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,839,461 times
Just saw the mention of Crater Lake on the first page - the full Rim Road is NOT open, only the drive through from the North entrance to the South entrance (which does take you by the west end of the lake and the main lodge). The full drive around the lake and the road down to Pinnacles will likely be open by late June or so. Don't recommend camping at Crater Lake until at least end of July or beginning of August (those campgrounds are HIGH elevation and snow stays a long time in the shade). You might try camping at either Diamond Lake which is north of Crater Lake, Collier State Park down on Hwy 97 or staying in one of the guest lodges south of Crater Lake (you can get anything from a cabin to a B&B to a hotel room).

There are a ton of lovely little lakes in the area - you might look at camping at Waldo or Odell for less crowded options, although the international tourist crowd at Crater Lake sometimes outnumbers the American tourist crowd and makes for interesting conversation.

Also, depending on when you'll be in the Cascade Mountains - bring mosquito repellant. Depending on when the snow finally really melts, the mosquitoes can be fierce on first hatch out. I generally stay out of the mtns until July or so.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
I'm rethinking Crater Lake since we'll be there the first week of June. I looked at the webcams and it's still winter there. I'm not a winter wimp, but I spent a significant portion of my winter in Vermont. I'm done with winter. Someone mentioned Diamond Lake in the Washington forum too. I'm definitely checking that out. I may cancel my reservations for the lodge in Grants Pass and make reservations in a small town near Diamond Lake.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,294 times
I would stay right at the resort. They offer a wide variety of room choices and price ranges.

http://www.diamondlake.net/

Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,165 times
Hopes....It looks like we may be getting some snow as low as 2500 to 3000' in the next couple of days. That might affect Crater and Diamond Lakes. We wanted to camp at Diamond Lake last May, but the campground was closed due to snow. Crater Lake we did in the Fall.
There are so many beautiful things to see in the PNW. You'll never see it all. So, if I were you, I would make it a comfortable trip. Have time to enjoy the places you choose to see! You'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland