Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times

Advertisements

Portland fluoride: For the fourth time since 1956, Portland voters reject fluoridation | OregonLive.com

What are your opinions on why?

My thoughts:

A last minute Sam Adams/Randy Leonard thing that irritated a lot of folks.
(With those two, a lot of people wondered if it was a back-room deal, and who was going to profit from it)

Would increase our water bills----yet again!

Not enough pro-flouride propaganda versus the anti-flouride Woo-Woo crowd (e.g. anti-vaxers) being loud and vocal.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Portland fluoride: For the fourth time since 1956, Portland voters reject fluoridation | OregonLive.com

What are your opinions on why?

My thoughts:

A last minute Sam Adams/Randy Leonard thing that irritated a lot of folks.
(With those two, a lot of people wondered if it was a back-room deal, and who was going to profit from it)

Would increase our water bills----yet again!

Not enough pro-flouride propaganda versus the anti-flouride Woo-Woo crowd (e.g. anti-vaxers) being loud and vocal.
I voted for fluoride because I care for the poor with no access to dental care and kids. NEWS FLASH: The city puts other chemicals in your water.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
A few points here. In all the years I have lived, I have known more than one or two low income mothers. I don't recall even one of their children ever drinking water. It was either Kool-Aid (yes it is made with water and "SUGAR"), Soda Pop, or Milk. All are tooth killers.

Another point. Those with very low incomes and state assistance have zero reason for their kids not getting dental care "FREE". It's the middle income who can ill afford dental care.

And the outright lie really pissed me off. "The main reason kids go to the emergency room is tooth pain." Bull Stuff!!! The main reason the poor wait until after five to take their youngling’s to the emergency room is to avoid the co-pay for earaches, teething pain, minor colds, and skinned knees. When was the last time you took your kid to the emergency room for a tooth ache?

If you want fluoride there are a dozen sources for it that do not require poisoning the city water supply for everyone. Kids have bad teeth because of genetics, candy and sweets, and indulgence. None of which will be prevented by fluoridation.

And lastly, it is not an urban myth that fluoride was developed by the US Army as a nerve agent for warfare.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Since I've lived in Portland for years and the lack of flouride in our water has never concerned me or made much difference in my life--and I was a little peeved that my two least favorite Portland politicians(Adams and Leonard) proposed this under the table--I'm fine with this measure being voted down, especially since I don't really want to pay more in water bills.

At the same time a lot of the anti-flouride proponents were really fricking annoying this time around. I don't need to hear from some overly sanctimonius loudmouth preaching about how dangerous fluoride in our water is. The homeopathic medicine/anti-vaccination/fad diet crowd is sometimes scarier to me than our local bureaucracy... Most major US cities have been flouridating for years and they don't have any more health problems than Portland. Our water isn't as pure as people might believe it to be--there's already ammonia and chlorine and sodium hydroxide in it--it's not fresh from a magical pure mountain spring. I grew up drinking flouridated water--and the first time I went to the dentist in Portland they comment on how they could tell I grew up somewhere with flouride.

I didn't vote though--I'm really lazy this last week and I always forget about the deadlines for these special elections...

Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
I remember growing up In P-town in the 50's and 60's and having to take my tablespoon of floride...yuck.

My teeth are crap but it's a combo of things, bad genes, bad dentists etc. so I can't point to no floride as the end all to be all and I'm now on well water where I live.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM

If you don't think fluoride has an affect/effect, just take a look at the insanity running rampant in our cities.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
If you don't think fluoride has an affect/effect, just take a look at the insanity running rampant in our cities.
If flouridation is responsible for crazy people in urban areas, why is Portland full of so many of them?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM

I don't recall calling anyone in Portland crazy. Try Hollywood and Vine if you want to see crazy.

I am pretty sure that is a side effect of Flouride.

Also many posts indicate there is a large number of younglings coming from other cities to the Portlandia Mecca, and they bring their Flouridated minds with them.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I don't recall calling anyone in Portland crazy. Try Hollywood and Vine if you want to see crazy.

I am pretty sure that is a side effect of Flouride.
Is fluoride the same thing as smoking crack? Because I was under the impression that was more the source of some what you see on Hollywood Blvd..

Quote:
Also many posts indicate there is a large number of younglings coming from other cities to the Portlandia Mecca, and they bring their Flouridated minds with them.
Is flouridated insansity temporary or is it a lifetime affliction once one drinks flouridated water during their lifetime? These flouridated younglings might run wild in our cities with their bongo drums and beatnik beards and hot jazz music!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM

You got it. I think they smoke stuff to get their flouride fix. I read in some underground journal they were treating Meth with Flouride to help with the rotted teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland