Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I have a friend who moved to Gilbert Arizona a year or two ago who constantly sends me things like:

"101°F and sitting around the pool! Paradise!"

Then I go outside and it's 80°F and the sky is blue and life is good.
Even when it's 50° and the sky is grey, life is good.

I look at the backgrounds of his photos and it's all dreary boring HOT desert.
To each his own, I guess.

He thinks I am jealous of him (I am not), and I let him keep thinking so.
I agree. I can't imagine living in a desert. Too hot; too dry. In reading one of those old "Places Rated Almanacs" there was a chapter on water and the watertables in the SE US. Not good to see how the aquifers were almost empty way back then - and this was way back in 1987 or so. Water is becoming the new blue gold, possibly replacing the black gold of oil.

Gray skies and rain mean green vegetation. Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 AM

146 posts, read 300,310 times
How is spring treating everyone?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Well it's forecast to be in the 70s & 80s for the next four days. Everyone I know is working on getting their gardens in (not my thing ... but I love their sharing results!). So life's pretty good.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
Warm, blooming things, blindingly green, fresh crisp air, new fluffy leaves on the trees...gorgeous and happy!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Stuck in the office during this gorgeous weather. The flip side is I don't have a window so I can't see how nice it is.

Worked on the garden over the weekend and eventually will get around to mowing the lawn and washing the car before it rains again on Sunday.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 65,325 times
in the past week, I've gone to 3 breweries, a Portland twist on a burlesque show, live band karaoke, a comedy show that I help on where I got to hang with the guitarist from the Decemberists, walked around Forest Park, enjoyed my favorite fish & chips at a food cart and walked through the nature preserve that is next to where I live...all within the city limits!

Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
These last couple weeks have been terrible. My young adult nephew who had been recently hired for a job with a professional future was diagnosed with a life threatening cancer. We have the world's best health care providers but they cannot work miracles. Please pray for his recovery.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM

320 posts, read 417,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
These last couple weeks have been terrible. My young adult nephew who had been recently hired for a job with a professional future was diagnosed with a life threatening cancer. We have the world's best health care providers but they cannot work miracles. Please pray for his recovery.
I'm so sorry to hear that Nell, that's terrible. He will be in my prayers.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 AM

84 posts, read 111,076 times
I'm sorry about your nephew Nell. Positive, healing thoughts headed your way.

My husband and I celebrated his birthday at the beginning of this week with a wildflower hike at Dalles Mountain. I have never seen so many wildflowers in my life. It was almost surreal. It was well worth the 1.5 hour drive from Portland.
Attached Thumbnails
Portland people -- tell us about your week!-dalles_mountain.jpg  

Old 05-02-2014, 12:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Back in February, I decided I didn't want to do much in my garden this year. Lots of work, you know. By March, I had started just doing a "thing or two".... By the beginning of April, I expanded one of my back gardens by 20 feet... did the old, lay cardboard down and dump one yard of dirt on it 8" deep and then plant. Not good for root crops the first year, but wild flowers, strawberries... fine...

Was I done? Ha. Two weeks ago, we had 4 yards of good top soil from Metro Recycling dumped on my side front yard to create ANOTHER berm to create a windbreak! Last week, we got a ton of boulders What was I thinking? Then, a week ago, I got 10 yards of free arborist wood chips dumped in my driveway to put down.

Last week, I got some free plants on Craigslist, visited some nurseries and read up on evergreen wind break plants... and chose several small ones... as I'm very much on a budget...

Now, they're planted, some mulch is down, rocks in place, berm has first go-round of mulch... whew. Glad it's Friday.

Spent some time soaking with epsom salts to ease my aching body. Who needs a gym membership when on a gardening marathon? At what point does a "hobby" turn into an obsession? - Rhetorical question, but I am running out of room on our lot. Whew.... busy week. Gorgeous weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland