Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a nice place to settle. And I feel Portland is the place I want.
But reports say it will be generate an earthquake with a magnitude of 9+ in the west coast states within 50 years with 80+% possibilities.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times
We are not prepared. Portland voters just passed a major school bond that will rebuild many schools. I am thankful for this because my kids are in the Grant High School feed. Grant is an old school that is not structured well in an earthquake. I grew up in S.F. and felt small earth quakes often. I have yet to exerience that here and it's been 3.5 years. Knock on wood!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunJiang View Post
I'm looking for a nice place to settle. And I feel Portland is the place I want.
But reports say it will be generate an earthquake with a magnitude of 9+ in the west coast states within 50 years with 80+% possibilities.
What do you think?
The Cascadia Subduction Zone quake will be centered somewhere between San Francisco, CA to Vancouver, BC (there is also the possibility of a large earthquake on the San Andreas and associated zones, which goes from Baja to San Francisco, CA or the possibility of a large earthquake as part of the Long Valley Caldera/Mammoth Mtn, towards the Sierra Nevadas). It'll be worse some places and not as bad others, but the exact where and when can't be known. The last big one was in January 1700 and the interval is 300-600 years, on average.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM

653 posts, read 1,785,982 times
Don't let fear dictate your life. Every place has it's issues. In Portland, and my beloved city of Seattle where I visit whenever I can... the threat of a major earthquake is a reality, but that will never keep me from visiting (and maybe moving there some day)

I will tell you this, you will be safer and possibly experience less damage to your property if you live up in the hills where the ground is more firm. Lower elevations near and along the water, the ground is more susceptible to violent shaking from what I learned because of the consistency of the soil and rock, where up in the mountains, the energy can be more absorbed, depending where the epicentre is. I do strongly believe that it's just a matter of time that at least a 6.0 quake or greater is imminent, probably within 30 years.. just a gut feeling I have. I think it's less likely of a volcanic eruption on MT. Rainier or Hood anytime in our lives, but then again, you never know.

So, I say.. go for the move, don't let those fears run your life, or you'll be denying yourself the best experiences you can enjoy in your life.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
New construction meets CA earthquake standards. That said there are some sites that would shake like jelly. For that reason take a look at the geology beneath the building, for example there are silt soils along the Willamette that would be subject to liquefaction.

When/if we get a major earthquake we will likely loose many bridges. Our hospitals have, by in large, been upgraded structurally.

It doesn't take a lot to upgrade a home structurally for earthquakes, tying a house to its foundation is cheap. Line up a structural engineer and a home inspector before home shopping. Make any offer contingent on acceptable reports from those professionals.

Let me give you an example. Twenty years ago DH & I built a home on a cliff on Bainbridge Island (the island just to the west of downtown Seattle). In 2001 there was a 6.8 magnitude earthquake where the fault was only 1.6 miles away. The only damage was a small hairline crack in drywall on the 2nd floor.

We should all provide for our families for that day. Doubtless there will be water main breaks so jugs of water, in addition to food, should be stored.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
I was in the 7.1 quake in San Francisco and while it was scary almost everyone survived. Personally I'll take earthquakes over tornados and hurricanes any day. But yes, unreinforced masonry and possibly some bridges and highways could collapse, just like in SF. Earthquakes last only seconds though so it's over pretty quick.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM

254 posts, read 442,517 times
I was born and raised in Southern California and moving to Portland in 2 1/2 weeks. The best thing you can do as far as an earthquake is concerned is to be prepared. I've lived through a few larger earthquakes in my lifetime (Whittier, Northridge, Landers, Hector Mine, etc.) Yes, they can be incredibly damaging, but like oldtintype, I'd take them over tornadoes and hurricanes any day. My understanding is that although Portland was slow in coming around to seismic modifications, they are starting to do so now. It's certainly not stopping us from making it our new home.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
It's the "ALMOST EVERYONE" that you need to consider. Yes it will happen, and choices should be made on likelyhoods as well. As the current ads say..... "Today is the Day Before, the last time.".

Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
My point is/was more people die yearly in hurricanes and tornados in this country than earthquakes. So anywhere you live has the ability to be dangerous. People definitely need to prepare for earthquakes but I think people over fear them as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunJiang View Post
What do you think?
Even more worrisome is the possibility of the nearby Yellowstone Super Volcano erupting and entombing the entire Pacific Northwest with a thick layer of hot volcanic ash: VIDEO: Super Volcano under Yellowstone

Also:

2012 DVD Clip - Yellowstone Volcano Erupts - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland