Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations for places in Portland to find good Tex-Mex, like the chips, salsa, queso, and frozen margaritas you find in Austin? I'm moving to Portland soon and I'm afraid I'm going to go into withdrawal! lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
You won't get what you Texans deem good Tex-Mex for a few reasons.

1. Northwesterners don't like Tex Mex (not like in Texas), Tex Mex places don't stay open long because its a niche and we don't have that many Texans here. I've lived in Texas, there is nothing special about Tex-Mex IMO, give me autherntic Mexican cuisine any day. I went to Trudy's in Austin, it was okay, but people had talked like I would instantly want to slap my grandma and move to Austin because it was so good. Portland has nothing like Trudy's or Habanero or Matt's Famous Tacos or whatever it was called.)

2. It's not different from most Americanized Mexican food from a chain restaurant. There are tons of good cheap Mexican restaurants, but they don't claim to be Tex-Mex.

3. There are food carts and a few restaurants that have limited Tex-Mex selection. There is always Chevy's and On the Border lol.

like the chips, salsa, queso, and frozen margaritas.

That's easy to come by, that's everywhere. But things like Brisket Tacos, Crayfish enchiladas, Catfish Fajitias, and Migas, good luck, you might find one of each at different restaurants.

We also don't religiously eat catfish. We have them, they just aren't a big thing here.

I got so sick of Catfish, Brisket, and Tacos in my 4 years in Texas.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
You no doubt will go into withdrawal. There are Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants, but no doubt they won't meet your standard. Hopefully, you'll learn to appreciate the food that Portland does have, and not continue to look for something that Austin did.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 AM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
The market is (apparently) wide open! Start up an "authentic" Tex-Mex restaurant!

And yes, what Andy and Enrico said - there are plenty of very good Mexican restaurants, and frankly Portland is such an awesome place for foodies, you'll be fine. That being said, I haven't seen anything resembling the fantastic Tex-Mex I had in San Antonio.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
We've had a couple of Tex-Mex places that have been opened for decades. Esparza's and Big Red's. Big Red's is now at it's third location, having been in Gresham in the 80's and 90's, at the top of Sylvan Hill in late 90's to about 4 years ago. Then the second and now only location is off of Scholl's Ferry Road in Beaverton.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:47 PM

210 posts, read 251,815 times
Not much to be found here. I moved here from San Antonio, hung out in Austin a lot. You WILL miss the Tex-Mex and the breakfast tacos. However, there's so much good food in Portland that you will have plenty of other options!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
I can't say how much it compares to San Antonio or Austin, but Podnah's Pit, while mostly a great Texas-style BBQ joint--has some good Tex-Mex options for breakfast/brunch. Excellent migas and breakfast tacos. The smoked brisket is great for lunch or dinner too...

Other than that, I haven't been to Esparza's or Big Red's in years to really say how those places are these days. The best Mexican in Portland is either the more expensive regional Mexican cuisine places like Autentica or Fonda Rosa or the cheaper taquerias, taco trucks and hole-in-the-wall places out on the eastside or further out in the suburbs...

Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm not crazy about Tex-Mex or New Mexico sxtyle Mexican food, either one.

You'll find a lot of restaurants serving Californio style Mexican food. Not many serving Mexican food as you would find in the country of Mexico, but the Mexican food as evolved in Southern California is some pretty darn good stuff.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Esparza's gets my vote.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,665 times
Default Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate your feedback. May have to find a good taco truck, like Deezus mentions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland