Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM

198 posts, read 500,701 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI regarding Portland and one particular cab company.
I talked to Pacific Cab three times to arrange for a cab from Hillsboro to PDX at 8am. I was told once by the owner, June, and the second time by the dispatcher, no problem and to call the day before I needed the service. Well, I called the day before and was told that NO WAY, that time frame was completely booked by school runs. School runs? Portland uses cab companies to take children to school? Seriously. I guess the emissions saved by using a cab and not a individual car makes a difference.
I thought Austin was odd, Portland a tip of the "hat."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjay View Post
I talked to Pacific Cab three times to arrange for a cab from Hillsboro to PDX at 8am. I was told once by the owner, June, and the second time by the dispatcher, no problem and to call the day before I needed the service. Well, I called the day before and was told that NO WAY, that time frame was completely booked by school runs. School runs? Portland uses cab companies to take children to school? Seriously. I guess the emissions saved by using a cab and not a individual car makes a difference.
Cab companies are very unreliable. Using ride share off CL is worse. I needed a short ride to the airport in the wee hours of the morning and after being turned down by a cabbie, I went to Yelp reviews and found a highly rated company and no problem.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Pacificab is located in Hillsboro, not Portland. That's a smaller city in the suburbs. Just the fact that you talked with the owner, ought to have clued you in that you're not dealing with a huge fleet of cabs.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:14 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
School runs? Portland uses cab companies to take children to school? Seriously. I guess the emissions saved by using a cab and not a individual car makes a difference.
Not Portland specifically, but various State and County agencies use cab companies to pickup mentally disabled children, and young adults and adults who are in the Foster Care system to take them to school or "jobs." These are people who born with mental disabilities and will never be fully productive members of society, yet they are nowhere near capable of taking care of themselves.

It's cheaper to send a cab to pick them up then a bus.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Kids in foster care as part of the various state/fed laws are encouraged to stay in the same school whenever possible. Sometimes that means (for example) a child living in a Beaverton foster home while their parents are working thru whatever their issues are is allowed to stay at the school he/she previously attended in Portland. Sometimes the only way to do this is via cab. And since schools generally don't accommodate kids with disabilities in their neighborhood schools, you might have a child in outer SW attending a school in outer NE due to federally mandated FAPE (Free and Appropriate Education) or LRE (Least restrictive environment). If the other kids attending the program all live in NE or SE it makes no sense to send a bus to get the kid in outer SW. Hence a cab. Saves the school districts a lot of money but the cabs are contracted to be there at an exact time every morning in exchange for a regular fare. The cab drivers that participate have to go thru the same background checks and often training that school bus drivers do.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Also, when the TriMet Lift Service that picks up disabled students and adults vans are overbooked they use cab service. I qualify for and sometimes use this service when necessary and have had the Broadway Cab Company come and pick me up in lieu of the TriMet van when this has happened. This is another example of when cabs are used for other than just personal pickup service. My pre-purchased ticket for the Lift Service is then used for the cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland