Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 AM

7 posts, read 15,384 times

Advertisements

Meth is a horrible and very unfortunate for anyone who struggles with such. I need to find ways that help cope with the beginning stage of getting clean besides the obvious as in treatment and things of that sort. Maybe ideas on how to try to keep occupied but money can be a issue with rhat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Many things are free. Walking, hiking, reading, attending church, finding group rehab meetings, volunteer work (The Humane Scoiety, Salvation Army, Senior Centers...) to start with.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
OP, what do you like to do? I'm sure the group here would be able to give you some suggestions based on your interests.

Keep fighting! You CAN do this.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,102 times
what part of town are you in?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 900 times
Some stuff I've learned:

1. Cut off contact permanently with anyone you know who uses. Yes, it sucks, but this one is so huge. Everyone I've ever known or heard of who didn't do this one has relapsed repeatedly.

Say your goodbyes to friends, but keep it very brief. Don't make up stuff, just tell them to not contact you ever. Period. It has to be done. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise. If they're a real friend, they'll understand. Absolutely do not allow people who use to be your support when you quit no matter what they say. This does not work, period. None of that we'll quit together crap. NO.

Do not tell any casual user acquaintances you are quitting, and especially not any dealers (especially if they're also a 'friend'). You don't need anybody just 'checking in on you' and then the next thing you know months have passed by and it's the same as before but 10 times worse. Just either stop talking to them, or tell them to not bother you again.

If necessary, make the persistent ones think you dislike them greatly.

Delete and destroy all contact info for the above people.

2. Change your phone numbers, email addresses and other contact info. You'll need to come up with reasons to tell family/friends who don't know what's up. A good one is changing your area code or cell phone provider.

3. Figure out how to deal with the 'keepers'
Be careful with non user people in your life who aren't aware that you use. You will be different and they may misunderstand. This can really suck. At the same time, don't isolate yourself from them. If anything, these are the people you will want to spend time with. Be very very careful of telling anybody what's going on.

On the other end, non user people who know what's up often expect things to be magically awesome right after you quit and can make things worse without knowing it. The disappointment/anger/sadness they may end up experiencing will pile up on your own. Be careful of letting anyone like this get involved with things, especially if you really care for them. They'll get paranoid and assume you're high or whatever when you're not. Just not telling them you're quitting can work, unless they're harassing you about it in the meantime. They could decide to stop talking to you or tear you down so hard about things you've done that you get weak and relapse. Worse yet, you tell them what happened in the hopes of making them understand, but they think you just made it all up etc etc. Be careful. Put some serious thought into each individual person. Be prepared. Even the most understanding people can totally break down due to worry.

4. Change living arrangements and find completely new places to spend your time at. Chances are somebody knows where you live. You quit and then 6 months later somebody just drops by. Don't let that happen. Consider moving to a different part of town. If you have very understanding friends or family who know whats up and can be chill, moving in with them is a good option (but be wary of someone who is overly enthusiastic or tries to convince you to move in with them). Absolutely do not live with someone who might try to take any responsibility for watching out for you or keeping track of things. They will drive both of you crazy from the stress and will develop controlling habits that both of you will hate. You need to be the one watching out for yourself.

Think hard before moving to a new town. This can make things even worse. If you feel the need to go somewhere new, go on a vacation for a few weeks.

5. Cheap things to do when you start feeling it?
Exercise. Find something you can do with intensity. My favorite is interval sprints. I push myself until I only feel the desire to move move move. Don't bother with a gym and don't set yourself up for excuses. Raining? 4am? Run anyway. Afterwards take a really awesome bath with epsom salts (or bubble bath soap). Cook yourself a nice meal afterwards.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 PM

358 posts, read 470,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingstars View Post
Some stuff I've learned:

1. Cut off contact permanently with anyone you know who uses. Yes, it sucks, but this one is so huge. Everyone I've ever known or heard of who didn't do this one has relapsed repeatedly.

Say your goodbyes to friends, but keep it very brief. Don't make up stuff, just tell them to not contact you ever. Period. It has to be done. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise. If they're a real friend, they'll understand. Absolutely do not allow people who use to be your support when you quit no matter what they say. This does not work, period. None of that we'll quit together crap. NO.

Do not tell any casual user acquaintances you are quitting, and especially not any dealers (especially if they're also a 'friend'). You don't need anybody just 'checking in on you' and then the next thing you know months have passed by and it's the same as before but 10 times worse. Just either stop talking to them, or tell them to not bother you again.

If necessary, make the persistent ones think you dislike them greatly.

Delete and destroy all contact info for the above people.

2. Change your phone numbers, email addresses and other contact info. You'll need to come up with reasons to tell family/friends who don't know what's up. A good one is changing your area code or cell phone provider.

3. Figure out how to deal with the 'keepers'
Be careful with non user people in your life who aren't aware that you use. You will be different and they may misunderstand. This can really suck. At the same time, don't isolate yourself from them. If anything, these are the people you will want to spend time with. Be very very careful of telling anybody what's going on.

On the other end, non user people who know what's up often expect things to be magically awesome right after you quit and can make things worse without knowing it. The disappointment/anger/sadness they may end up experiencing will pile up on your own. Be careful of letting anyone like this get involved with things, especially if you really care for them. They'll get paranoid and assume you're high or whatever when you're not. Just not telling them you're quitting can work, unless they're harassing you about it in the meantime. They could decide to stop talking to you or tear you down so hard about things you've done that you get weak and relapse. Worse yet, you tell them what happened in the hopes of making them understand, but they think you just made it all up etc etc. Be careful. Put some serious thought into each individual person. Be prepared. Even the most understanding people can totally break down due to worry.

4. Change living arrangements and find completely new places to spend your time at. Chances are somebody knows where you live. You quit and then 6 months later somebody just drops by. Don't let that happen. Consider moving to a different part of town. If you have very understanding friends or family who know whats up and can be chill, moving in with them is a good option (but be wary of someone who is overly enthusiastic or tries to convince you to move in with them). Absolutely do not live with someone who might try to take any responsibility for watching out for you or keeping track of things. They will drive both of you crazy from the stress and will develop controlling habits that both of you will hate. You need to be the one watching out for yourself.

Think hard before moving to a new town. This can make things even worse. If you feel the need to go somewhere new, go on a vacation for a few weeks.

5. Cheap things to do when you start feeling it?
Exercise. Find something you can do with intensity. My favorite is interval sprints. I push myself until I only feel the desire to move move move. Don't bother with a gym and don't set yourself up for excuses. Raining? 4am? Run anyway. Afterwards take a really awesome bath with epsom salts (or bubble bath soap). Cook yourself a nice meal afterwards.

Good luck
What an excellent post +1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland