Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a decent car wash or detail person/place. Help!

I've noticed that most places, you pay the guy, pull your car into brush/less car wash, throw your car into neutral and you go through the system. When you get out, you either pay for them to clean the interior or do it yourself.

That is NOT what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a place, where they will vacuum your car prior to going in. You don't drive it through, they take it through. They will wash it down, by hand, then send it through the system for a rinse, maybe spray wax, and blow dry. Then dry it by hand and clean the tires, windows, etc.

The first system gets most of the dirt off, but leaves a nice film of dust behind because there's nothing touching the car. Ugh! I can't see paying money for that service, even if it is cheap.

I'm willing to go to someone that details, if it's reasonable. Reasonable to me is wash, wax, clean/detail inside and out for around $50 to maybe $75.

Anyone know of places like the car wash I mentioned? If not, anyone have a recommendation for a detailer? I don't mind paying for a detail a few times year and then doing the cheap, but bad drive through car wash. I'd just like my car to be decently cleaned when I get it washed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
I always liked the place on NE Broadway and MLK, I believe is where they are located. They do a quality job.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Beaverton Car Wash, Gift Shop and Simoniz Auto Detail Center

Maybe there's something like that in Lake O, but I'm not sure...

Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
What jjpop said. They don't hand wash the car, but they do take it through and finish up with hand drying, cleaning the entire interior with damp rags, inside windows washed, etc. All for about 20 bucks. I've been going there for years.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 PM

478 posts, read 881,754 times
I go to Washman on McLoughlin (they have many locations) WASHMAN USA | OVER 12 MILLION WASHED. They have all kinds of services. You do drive the car through first, but they do all the detailing you want afterward.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM

I'm not sure if you guys realize this or not......

But when you drive through without someone actually wiping the dirt off your car, it leaves a film of dirt behind. The car truly isn't washed, it's kind of "rinsed" and that's about it. No amount of spray will get all the dirt off. Maybe a power spray, but that can remove paint too. Imagine if all you did was rinse your dishes off, but didn't use a sponge of sorts. It's not completely clean. Then to have someone use towels to dry it off? It now means they're rubbing the dirt around with a towel. Not good for your paint job. Maybe you can't see it, but trust me, I'm sure the scratches are there.

I know I'm anal about my car. My dad told me when I was 16, "if you want a black car, you need to learn how to care for it properly" and so I did. And those types of car washes don't "wash" they just "rinse" and toweling it off afterwards is rubbing dirt around. Yikes. Definitely not good for a black car.

Anyhow. I did see the Beaverton wash on Yelp and they got good reviews. I was thinking about taking my car there until I realized they don't actually wash the car. I wouldn't mind taking it there after I have it fully waxed and detailed (as it's more protected), but I know if I brought it in right now, I'd probably see a lot of hazy scratches after. No thanks. I will keep it in mind though. Thanks! Oh, and I thought I read a Yelp near me that had that same sort of service....that or it was the Beaverton one, hehe, I can't remember. I looked at so many.

Last edited by psichick; 11-02-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
I see Groupon offers car detailing all the time. I sent you a DM....

Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Sometimes on a Saturday, the high school kids have a local "Car Wash"...

That would get the dirt washed off, by hand.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I see Groupon offers car detailing all the time. I sent you a DM....
Thanks. Got it. I'll keep an eye on it. Unfortunately though, and I'm not sure why, but usually those places get bad reviews. I'll have to check them out.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Sometimes on a Saturday, the high school kids have a local "Car Wash"...

That would get the dirt washed off, by hand.
Well, it would get the dirt washed off. Gawd I hated doing those car washes. And back then, we were the "first" in the entire area to do that. Bleah. And that's why I'd never take my car to one. You think I trust them? I remember having to show almost my entire squad how to wash a car. Yup, they didn't know how. And it's not even because they didn't have cars. I didn't have one either. I guess no one shows a woman how to wash a car, except my dad who treated me like a boy anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: